The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

well, shirokov and white were drafted by previous management groups, and none of which were picked higher than 53 (Rodin).

do you even look at other teams drafting records? It a friggin crap shoot for the most part. Its always easy to pick on black marks of a person... Thats what dead beat dads do to their kids.... Its easier to make yourself look better, while pointing out the obvoius flaws of an individual.... and of course, you would have made the "right" choice on draft day... right? yeah, sure pal.

IMO, its still far too early to tell the tale of Mike Gillis draft record considering his firts ever draft pick is just 23. Gustav Nyquist is 24 for comparison.

2008 was Mike Gillis' very first draft... ever. He picked up Cody Hodgson.

2009 - Jordan Schroeder is undersized, but imo is showing that he can play in the NHL as a darty two way center, whom still has untapped potential to be developed.

The forementioned Anton Rodin still has upside, and is enjoying success in europe.

Connaughton was used as a trading chip

5th round pick Peter Anderson has been a reliable asset for Utica, and is in development

6th rounder Joe Cannata... still very much in the system

first pick was a 4th rounder making significant strides in colledge, Patrick McNally.

So 3 drafts while the team is performing at a high rate. Significant free agent signings in Samuelsson, Torres, Malhotra, Hamhuis, trading for Ehrhoff, while getting the current core to buy into the hometown discount for the better of the team. It worked.... b2b presidents trophies, a trip to game 7 of the cup finals, and GM of the year award.... (oh yeah, you forgot he won that didnt you)

free agent prospects... Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, and Joakim Eriksson of late. These are some key future pieces that shouldnt be overlooked.

Jensen, Grenier (last pick 3rd round), Corrado (5th round), Labate, Tommernes, and Blomstrand. thats a solid crop imo.

Brendan Gaunce, and college roundup Ben Hutton (late 4th round and current Hobey Baker consideration), Wes Myron, and Matt Beattie

Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Cassels in the 3rd round. Solid round up. Gambleing on Subban, and solid late round d-men in Cederholm and Liberati.

Not to forget signing leading OHL scorer Dane Fox.

It seems to me that this management group is developing much like prospects do. It can take some time of trial and error before figuring it all out.

The number of players with NHL potential coming out of the last 3 drafts is quite a diverse group, and considering that other than Horvat, all the rest of the 1st rounders are beyond pick 20, and with guys like Cassels, Corrado, Grenier, Hutton McNally, and Subban all coming past round 2, Im not sure why people give our management such a hard time.

To snap up the AAA talent, you have to pick top 5. And thats not happening when your winning presidents trophies and competeing for Stanley Cups.

You shouldnt to really be able to acuratley ascess Gillis' drafting abillity for another 3 years or so imho.

But Im sure you know better.

Good post. It's nice to see the mgt-handiwork all laid out, in chronological order. Well done.

More physical than Hamhuis ahahahhaaaaaaa omg? This forum never ceases to amaze me. Dont get me wrong i really like Edler yes he is having a brutal year but Hamhuis game is very well rounded, Edler still has a lot of defensive learning/repairing to do.

Uhm, Edler is more physical than Hamhuis. The only time you'll see Hamhuis actually hit someone is if he's laying a hip check on someone, other that that he's more a stick on puck defender.

Why trade for older players?

I would make a mega deal to make us younger and can still compete:

NY Islanders make a great trade partner. It's the biggest city in the world and I think with the new arena they moving to and Tavares, some of our players might waive the NTC.

To VAN:

Griffin Reinhart

Ryan Strome

1st rounder 2014

To NYI:

Ryan Kesler

Alex Edler

Eddie Lack

This deal fills many holes for them and they have the cap space to do it. They might even need to add a little. Imagine if we can grab Sam Reinhart with the 1st round pick, our future will be bright and we can be a contender again in as soon as 2 years with all the top prospects.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Strome, & Reinhart brothers

The Isles don't have a 1st round pick this draft, they sent it to Buffalo in the Vanek trade. Also with Niedereitter being a bit of a bust and traded this past offseason I don't think Snow is too eager to part with the best 2 prospects the organization has. If Gillis is really willing to package those 3 players, I'm sure other teams would offer a nice package coming back though.

NY Islanders make a great trade partner. It's the biggest city in the world and I think with the new arena they moving to and Tavares, some of our players might waive the NTC.

To VAN:

Griffin Reinhart

Ryan Strome

1st rounder 2014

To NYI:

Ryan Kesler

Alex Edler

Eddie Lack

This deal fills many holes for them and they have the cap space to do it. They might even need to add a little. Imagine if we can grab Sam Reinhart with the 1st round pick, our future will be bright and we can be a contender again in as soon as 2 years with all the top prospects.

They wont waive to go there though. Detriot, Philly, Tampa and Florida are places I can see us making trades with.

Kesler isn't going anywhere. He's too valuable to the Canucks org. Both Eds and Kes have NTC and MG has already said he wont ask any player to waive their NTC rights. It cant be spelled out any clearer than that.

For now this team is what it is. I think they can get into the payoffs easy enough, and we all know that if a team can get hot at the right time, it can mean a long playoff run. Just have get in first

I disagree. The Sedins are obviously on the decline, but, still pretty damn good. Maybe just not 1st line good. You have to remember they're both on the wrong side of 30 and can't play (at a top level) forever. The Canucks are approaching 3 years since Game 7. Meaning, this isn't the exact same Canucks squad (or players) from 2011, even if it is essentially still the same core group. I agree with others in this forum that the team needs to get younger, but, I don't agree that it should mean with the bottom 6 and other spares. I mentioned Paul Stastny in another comment. Put that guy on the top line with Kesler at RW next season and see if you still think anyone named Sedin is this club's best player. This team could use a reset with the 1st line that includes Kesler at RW with a play-making centre and the Sedins on the 2nd line. You don't think that'd give this club some serious top 6 depth?

Which all brings us back to the topic of discussion in the first place: Mike Gillis giving out a NTC, only to reportedly ask said player to waive it later when things aren't going so well (and his - MG - bacon's possibly back in the fire again). NO high impact UFA will want to deal with a GM who has a reputation for doing that. Edler may not be, as of right now, high impact, but, he DOES have a full NTC, courtesy of GM Mike Gillis. This shouldn't even be a topic of discussion for that reason alone.

You are making up a bunch of hypothetical scenarios where Kesler would be better. Fact is, the the Sedins are currently, even while having an off season, better than him. If we are going to make hypothetical line scenarios, what would it be like if the Sedins didn't play with 3rd line plugs all season? Would it still be an off year, to the same extent? Would people still be saying they are declining?

why? If the team comes back the way the ended before the break, they will be sellers. If you're going to rebuild, you have to sell something valuable to get the pieces you need to build around. I really don't think MG has the gonads to pull off that trade, but it's the one that makes the most sense to me.

Although on the other hand it will kind of be a lateral move if we traded Kesler and got a player that we would hope someday to become Kesler. If we could get rid of other players first for prospects that can be better than them in the future, that would be the better move. Like trading Hansen for some mid prospect that has a potential to be good or trading Edler for 2 can't miss prospects.

To VAN:

Griffin Reinhart

Ryan Strome

1st rounder 2014

To NYI:

Ryan Kesler

Alex Edler

Eddie Lack

Eddie Lack and Ryan Kesler AND Edler traded to one team for only 2 freaking prospects? Maybe you should also add Sedins and Hamhuis to that package, its not enough for the Isles.

Reinhart is REALLY getting overrated around here. For that package, I want a Brandon Saad or James Van Rymsdyke or a Simmonds coming back. No way in blue hell are we trading 3 established players for 3 unknowns. There is just no way, and nobody stupid enough to propose that to a GM if they were a GM.

Uhm, Edler is more physical than Hamhuis. The only time you'll see Hamhuis actually hit someone is if he's laying a hip check on someone, other that that he's more a stick on puck defender.

Edler is also crap when it comes to defense, so...

Depends on what he means by physical. Hammer is really strong given his size clearing the crease. Edler is slightly more physical but has terrible decision making skills and gets himself in trouble, ie Hertl hit, or just putting himself out of position.

More physical than Hamhuis ahahahhaaaaaaa omg? This forum never ceases to amaze me. Dont get me wrong i really like Edler yes he is having a brutal year but Hamhuis game is very well rounded, Edler still has a lot of defensive learning/repairing to do.

Your skate video is one of the reasons why I gave up longboarding LOL, one fall and one separated shoulder later is all it took to move on

To VAN:

Griffin Reinhart

Ryan Strome

1st rounder 2014

To NYI:

Ryan Kesler

Alex Edler

Eddie Lack

This is what I've been saying for a while now. Not necessarily this deal but getting quality back instead of quantity.

We have only a few quality trading chips left that would fetch us the kind of really good prospects we need to set us up for the next 10 years.

The Isles don't have a 1st round pick this draft, they sent it to Buffalo in the Vanek trade. Also with Niedereitter being a bit of a bust and traded this past offseason I don't think Snow is too eager to part with the best 2 prospects the organization has. If Gillis is really willing to package those 3 players, I'm sure other teams would offer a nice package coming back though.

The 1st rounder they traded to Buffalo is top 10 protected

Eddie Lack and Ryan Kesler AND Edler traded to one team for only 2 freaking prospects? Maybe you should also add Sedins and Hamhuis to that package, its not enough for the Isles.

Reinhart is REALLY getting overrated around here. For that package, I want a Brandon Saad or James Van Rymsdyke or a Simmonds coming back. No way in blue hell are we trading 3 established players for 3 unknowns. There is just no way, and nobody stupid enough to propose that to a GM if they were a GM.

That's why we are stuck in this position. You think exactly like Gillis. Yes, this is a gamble. But If you dont just roll the dice once in a while, how do you turn the table. For all we know, they can be Crosby, Toews and Weber, or 3 busts. I'm willing to take the chance if I'm only giving up a second line centre, a top 4 D and a back up goalie. At least it gives me hope for the next few years.

That's why we are stuck in this position. You think exactly like Gillis. Yes, this is a gamble. But If you dont just roll the dice once is a while, how do you turn the table. For all we know, they can be Crosby, Toews and Weber, or 3 busts. I'm willing to take the chance if I'm only giving up a second line centre, or top 4 D and a back up goalie. At least it gives me hope for the next few years.

I'd rather have the hope that even one of them is Crosby, Toews or Weber than watch the sand run out of the hourglass on the team slowly but surely.

I love Kes, but his style of play IS going to lead to a Ryan Smyth-like decline rather soon. Lack is amazing and I'm not sure we should be trading him, but you have to give quality to get quality, and Edler just needs a fresh start.

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. This core has been together for what... call it 5-6 years now? And they came close, but failed and since have not yielded anything remotely close to what they did that year. Pull the plug, try something new.

Archived