The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Your Montreal deal is plausible, however, Burrows is having an awful season, and Lars Eller has a lot of upside.

No, it's not plausible. Burrows also has a full NTC. You really believe Gillis wants to be known amongst players and agents for calling to every under-performing player that he signed who has a full NTC as a guy who will eventually ask them to waive it? That just doesn't make sense. No GM would want that reputation.

No, it's not plausible. Burrows also has a full NTC. You really believe Gillis wants to be known amongst players and agents for calling to every under-performing player that he signed who has a full NTC as a guy who will eventually ask them to waive it? That just doesn't make sense. No GM would want that reputation.

Whoa, pump the brakes, dude. Your making a bigger issue out of NTCs than they really are. GMs make mistakes. OFTEN! No, they don't ever want to be known as a guy who goes back on their word. Who does? However, this is part of the business. Teams have bad years. Have to sell off assets. In the case of this one, Edler was signed with the thought he could fill a void that he actually isn't able to. That is the void of the never attainable swift skating, puck moving defenseman. Big mistake by Nucks brass. Now Edler is filling 5 mil worth of cap space and wanted to play a role in which he isn't able to. If MG actually asked him to waive, it wouldn't be the first time someone is asked and it surely won't be the last. Plus you don't know if there's internal pressure to unload Edler. Maybe Aqua says "Trade him or it's your a$$!"

And as for Burr, I would give him the benefit of the doubt this season.

One could also ask what big money household named UFA would want to deal with a GM who can't be trusted to keep his word?Understand, I'm talking about players that have a FULL NTC, not a limited one, like Higgins. MG still has a bit of leverage there by requiring Higgins to provide a list of 6 teams he'd accept a trade to if the situation came up. Edler, as far as I'm aware, has no such limited clause, but a full one, unless I'm wrong. THAT'S why it won't look good on Gillis if he does approach him about waiving it. Nor, do I think it'll reflect positively on Edler if HE initiates that conversation, either. We ALL want "guys who want to win and with a commitment to winning", but, shouldn't the players be able to trust the guy who signs them to a contract is going to keep his word, too?

Holmgren does not seem to have any trouble attracting free agents.

You can dance a jig behind a players back if you give them enough green?

Remarkable, you must be an excellent NHL 14 General Manager. Although I agree the Canucks must continue to move their core players; what you are offering here is nothing close to reality. This is not a bargin sale at the Red Apple. The competetion is tough, and Detriot is not going to be bent over by Gillis. If the Canucks want players like Mantha, a 1st round pick and say Franzen that will take a least Edler and Kesler.

You can't be serious? :picard: Franzen's contract is uglier then Booth's. As far as I'm concerned he's a cap dump. Mantha is unproven and that 1st could be early to mid 20's. Edler is in his prime and under Babcock will likely thrive.

Pretty funny how all the edler haters on here will think he is the second coming of nik lidstrom if he ever gets traded to the wings. You guys need to calm down and understand that edler has a tonne of value on the market and is on a very good contract. Just wait and see what guys will be signing for the next year or two. Edler for anything less then mantha/nyquist/smith is a no go.

Holmgren does not seem to have any trouble attracting free agents.

You can dance a jig behind a players back if you give them enough green?

It really depends on the players priorities. I think some overstate the influence a GM alone has on a players interest or disinterest in signing somewhere. Most other categories that players look at include money, team talent, team age, the coach/system, family interests, location, etc.

With Holmgren specifically what people criticize him most for is also his best appeal. He does go back on his word sometimes but that is what good businessmen do. If the situation changes he will make that bold move for the best interest of the team. In Philly players don't have to worry about the team falling apart and them just riding it out or getting stuck with players that don't pull their weight. I doubt the team is upset that he changed his tune on Bryz. I don't think anyone thought it was stupid of him to sign Lupul to a contract and then trade him for Pronger when he was made available. Or when Carter and Richards went and their own teammates anonymously supported the move because of locker room tension. I feel some players like the idea knowing that he will be aggressive about keeping the team competing. Plus when big name UFA speak with them they aren't seeing themselves as being the dead weight that would be cut from the picture.

If that makes any sense. Similar to how certain players like fiery coaches like Torts and some prefer calmer ones like AV I think some players like GM's that are aggressive while some like GM's that are passive and won't shop them simply because they have a subpar season.

Its the plus that I cant figure out if this deal was to happen around Edler/Franzen.

Dekeyser and Tatar are RFA and Dekeyser hails from the D.

For some reason I feel like we are targeting Abdelkader and the first.

Edler = Abdelkader,Franzen and 1st(maybe 2nd)

That would be my guess

I think Vanek is a very real possibility. Vanek has shown his interest in signing with the team that pays him the most so if Aquilinis want him they can have him its just at what cost to acquire him now for a few months? It just seems to be like Richards when Nonis and Aquilinis pushed for Richards but in the end Richards chose not to come here because he had a NTC. Scary thing is that Vanek does not have NTC. We could see a very very risky trade for vancouver which concerns me.

I really hope MG can convince the Aquilinis to just do a mini rebuild and trade away some players to build up depth in the organization instead of trading it away for a hail mary.

I would only hope that NY has a lot of interest in Lack because if he could be the key component in getting Vanek I would be okay with trading for him.

How about Edler for Franzen, Mantha, 1st (2014), and

Kesler, Hansen for Strome, 1st (2015), Vanek.

Assuming Kesler would waive his NTC. Strome has not proven anything at the NHL level yet, the 1st is unknown and its uncertain if the pick will ever materialize into anything decent, and Vanek may just be a rental. A lot of IF'S there to give up a selke winning, Olympian, star centerman. Although if Vanek did sign with us and the other two worked out it would be an awesome return.

Same goes for Edler, Olympian, Allstar team defenceman. Mantha hasn't proven anything at the NHL level, the first is mid range at best, and Franzen is a cap dump.

We would be taking the bigger risks here, but could also net the higher return potentially. Its a high risk high reward. Is this a fair assesement? Do the trades seem fair?

How about Edler for Franzen, Mantha, 1st (2014), and

Kesler for Strome, 1st (2015), Vanek.

Assuming Kesler would waive his NTC. Strome has not proven anything at the NHL level yet, the 1st is unknown and its uncertain if the pick will ever materialize into anything decent, and Vanek may just be a rental. A lot of IF'S there to give up a selke winning, Olympian, star centerman. Although if Vanek did sign with us and the other two worked out it would be an awesome return.

Same goes for Edler, Olympian, Allstar team defenceman. Mantha has'nt proved anything at the NHL level, the first is mid range at best, and Franzen is a cap dump.

We would be taking the bigger risks here, but could also net the higher return potentially. Its a high risk high reward. Is this a fair assesement? Do the trades seem fair?

It's thought-provoking, & indeed tempting, but the whole world would be encouraging Vanek to jump ship(recall how the media hate our squad).

Gotta safeguard it a little.

IF he signs. 2015 3rd included.

If he doesn't, a 2014 3rd & 2015 1st rounder.

Oh boy is CDC gonna cry when they see the actual return on Alex Edler.. Shocked how many ppl think he is in his "prime" just because of his age.. prime age yes, prime game no.. Franzen Mantha 1st 2nd lol.. We think Franzen contract sucks but edler is prime.. Its Manthas fault he is unproven.. a 1st is alllll the way back at 20th

Lets take a look at what the deal could look like a few months from now...

Edler-A player who has underperformed for years and has 25 mil left on his contract

for

Franzen-A player in same situation, but fills a needed scoring void and one of the best playoff performers in the game

Mantha-Top scoring prospect

Deangelo, Mckeown, Honka

Lemieux, Watson, Bleackley

I understand the whole taking on Franzen's contract to make the deal work,.. but this doesnt mean they have to pay for someone to take him.. he isnt ballard or booth.. otherwise they could just waive him cost-free and watch 10-15 teams put in a claim for him

Theres a reason why Edler and Mantha's names are in all of our proposals

Cant overvalue our guys so much because you are settin yourself up for disappointment when they finally do get moved for half of what you thought they would, then you scream for the GM's head

Remarkable, you must be an excellent NHL 14 General Manager. Although I agree the Canucks must continue to move their core players; what you are offering here is nothing close to reality. This is not a bargin sale at the Red Apple. The competetion is tough, and Detriot is not going to be bent over by Gillis. If the Canucks want players like Mantha, a 1st round pick and say Franzen that will take a least Edler and Kesler.

How you know Florida will move thier pick? Didn't Edmonton draft a forward when they should have drafted a defense? Why did Colorado draft Mackinnion when they had a lot of centres and could have got Jones?

We do what with Luongo? You think Luongo is still getting traded? One year older now... and you think swapping firsts will happen? No No. Florida will not be taking Luongo. They have Timmy T who wants to play there and Marky.

Luongo would need to be a package deal with more roster players to a team like the Islanders who want a goalie and would be willing to give up some youth, maybe a pick.

Your Montreal deal is plausible, however, Burrows is having an awful season, and Lars Eller has a lot of upside.

Hansen for a 2nd and 3rd is possible, depending on the team.

FontPolice-Badge.gif

Oh boy is CDC gonna cry when they see the actual return on Alex Edler.. Shocked how many ppl think he is in his "prime" just because of his age.. prime age yes, prime game no.. Franzen Mantha 1st 2nd lol.. We think Franzen contract sucks but edler is prime.. Its Manthas fault he is unproven.. a 1st is alllll the way back at 20th

Lets take a look at what the deal could look like a few months from now...

Edler-A player who has underperformed for years and has 25 mil left on his contract

for

Franzen-A player in same situation, but fills a needed scoring void and one of the best playoff performers in the game

Mantha-Top scoring prospect

Deangelo, Mckeown, Honka

Lemieux, Watson, Bleackley

I understand the whole taking on Franzen's contract to make the deal work,.. but this doesnt mean they have to pay for someone to take him.. he isnt ballard or booth.. otherwise they could just waive him cost-free and watch 10-15 teams put in a claim for him

Theres a reason why Edler and Mantha's names are in all of our proposals

Cant overvalue our guys so much because you are settin yourself up for disappointment when they finally do get moved for half of what you thought they would, then you scream for the GM's head

Your missing the fact that franzen is recovering from a concussion one that has kept him out for awhile now

Archived