The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we keep sliding the way we do, we can even come with a top 5 pick.

Calgary last 4 games is fairly easy games against Jets, Devils, the Nucks and the Kings ( the only tough one) if they win all 4 games and we lose the rest of ours, and assuming the other teams in the east win a few games we can have the potential to actually grab a top 5 pick in this year's draft.

Calgary sits 6 points behind us right now. It probably won't happen but that was something food for thought.

If we keep sliding the way we do, we can even come with a top 5 pick.

Calgary last 4 games is fairly easy games against Jets, Devils, the Nucks and the Kings ( the only tough one) if they win all 4 games and we lose the rest of ours, and assuming the other teams in the east win a few games we can have the potential to actually grab a top 5 pick in this year's draft.

Calgary sits 5 points behind us right now. It probably won't happen but that was something food for thought.

Calgary is 6 and Islanders are 7 points behind us.

Here is a thought....Say Buffalo picks 1st and selects Ekblad....does Mac-T go off the board and select Fluery? Coilers are in desperate need of blue liners and with Fluery auditioning just down the QEW....Mac T surely is tempted to take next best defenceman

Calgary is 6 and Islanders are 7 points behind us.

Here is a thought....Say Buffalo picks 1st and selects Ekblad....does Mac-T go off the board and select Fluery? Coilers are in desperate need of blue liners and with Fluery auditioning just down the QEW....Mac T surely is tempted to take next best defenceman

That's what I was thinking. Fluery is exactly what they need. If that's case and we are in 6th I would love to make a trade for that pick.

Stanton 1st 2nd for their first. Maybe not enough but if they wanna take Fluery anyways and we have the draft pick to do it, why not? They get Fluery, we get Reinhart. Kes wants to retire a canuck? let's give him a few apprentices haha

Horvat Kesler Reinhart

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Higgins Matthias Burrows

Sestito Richardson Hansen

I was watching some draft special with Numb-nuts(Button) and he figures Buffalo picks Bennett 1st overall

Seen that too, I guess u never know really. Jones went 4th last year. I thought that was pretty nuts.

Imagine what Nash was thinking when he wasn't taken 3rd haha.. "...Uhhh Really, we get jones haha"

I was watching some draft special with Numb-nuts(Button) and he figures Buffalo picks Bennett 1st overall

That's not out of the question. The 1st foward to be drafted will be either Bennet or Reinhart. Reinhart is not a lock and there are some Sabres fans that through reading their teams rumors etc etc, have a feeling too that their gm might select Bennet with their top pick if it holds up.

ISS who I personally believe, is the most accurate when it comes to ranking prospects also had Bennet as number 1 at the mid term rankings. He's just a notorious back checking beast that does everything. Hits, back checks, defends, and play offence.

lol and give up a potential franchise D man?

Button just likes to get off on offring up unorthodox ideas

the guy ranked virtanen in the second round on his latest mock

That's what I was thinking. Fluery is exactly what they need. If that's case and we are in 6th I would love to make a trade for that pick.

Stanton 1st 2nd for their first. Maybe not enough but if they wanna take Fluery anyways and we have the draft pick to do it, why not? They get Fluery, we get Reinhart. Kes wants to retire a canuck? let's give him a few apprentices haha

Horvat Kesler Reinhart

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Higgins Matthias Burrows

Sestito Richardson Hansen

i like this idea

if corrado makes our team, then we have 3 RD and 4LD and we are not moving edler unless he wants out according to MGs statement re not moving guys with NTCs

I have thought about packaging stanton to move up in the draft, glad someone else brought this up

i like this idea

if corrado makes our team, then we have 3 RD and 4LD and we are not moving edler unless he wants out according to MGs statement re not moving guys with NTCs

I have thought about packaging stanton to move up in the draft, glad someone else brought this up

Yeah, I'd definitely be putting the call in to Mac T to see what it would take. If they really want Fluery in the event they can't get ekblad. Depending on where we land, there's definitely a deal to be made there as it's unlikely he'll go top 5.

They get the man they want, we get a play maker to step in right away with Kesler. Reinhart is a Vancouver boy too, It would be a dream scenario.

It might take more to get him but no harm in kicking the tires and weighing the possible future scenario of going forward with a true blue chip prospect. It might outweigh having corrado or Hansen or whoever Edmonton wants in the deal.

I'm totally leaning towards him too. If we land in the 6-10 range I'd really like to take the chance on him. He'd have to most top end skill of anyone in our system.

A little risky considering the safer players around him but gillis has my full support to grow a pair and roll the dice. He's got first line elite playmaker potential if he pans out.

While there's been some talk on a number of players' size, I hadn't really looked at the stat lines for much of the players we're talking about. While Nylander is a bit smaller (or a lot smaller compared to someone like Draisatl or Perlini), like Bennett he is a mid-year 96 birthday so there's room to grow and develop over others with 95 birth years.

That said Dal Colle is a June 96 birthday as well, and he's got pretty good size, so they just aren't going to grow into 6+ footers/200+ pounders either. That's something exciting about Ekblad particularly, but also Fluery as well from the defensive side, since they already have the size but are still 96'ers.

That said, I like Nylander's skill set over Ehlers where Nylander seems like a player that can make others around him better while Ehlers is more of an individual star.

Apparently, Nylander will play for MoDo's u20 team this weekend, since Sodertalje's season is already over. MoDo will play the semi-final in about 4 hours, and seems like it will be broadcasted on television. Will probably be some highlights from the game afterwards.

And on that note, anyone find any updates on how he did? All I see is he has 2 points in 1 playoff game for the Modo J18, and no points in 2 games for the senior Modo team.

While there's been some talk on a number of players' size, I hadn't really looked at the stat lines for much of the players we're talking about. While Nylander is a bit smaller (or a lot smaller compared to someone like Draisatl or Perlini), like Bennett he is a mid-year 96 birthday so there's room to grow and develop over others with 95 birth years.

That said Dal Colle is a June 96 birthday as well, and he's got pretty good size, so they just aren't going to grow into 6+ footers/200+ pounders either. That's something exciting about Ekblad particularly, but also Fluery as well from the defensive side, since they already have the size but are still 96'ers.

I'm more just intrigued in the way scouts talk about Nylander. It's not your average great skater, great shot, high IQ kinda analysis. They take it a step further and say things like "an artist with the puck" or "as a scout you want to pay for the ticket just to see him play".. He's ranked 5th on iss right now... I can't help but think he's the real deal and not your average small guy with good speed/great shot.

I just got a feeling he's going to be the guy everyone's kicking themselves for passing over.

I'll also add elite prospects has Nylander at 5'11 170.

That's not terrible. Topping out at 185-190 isn't out of the question. He looks like a little baby faced wiener now so I'd imagine he's got a lot of body maturing to go still haha

Imagine the player he could be if elite prospects is close to what he really is now? If grows an inch and puts on 15 pounds he'd be 6ft 185lbs by the time he's 21-22. A real Henrik Sedin replacement for down the road.

Shinkaruk Nylander Kassian

Gaunce Horvat Jensen

I'm so excited for this draft....

So this thread is my favorite

Im personally sold on Ehlers at this point

I'd love to get Ehlers but if we do get him I'd want us to get a Draisaitl and Virtanen type forwards to round us out since we already have Shinkaruk.

Shinkaruk - Draisatl - Virtanen

Ehlers - Horvat - Kassian

Fox - Gaunce - Jensen

Archibald - Cassels - Grenier

Hello!

I'd love to get Ehlers but if we do get him I'd want us to get a Draisaitl and Virtanen type forwards to round us out since we already have Shinkaruk.

Shinkaruk - Draisatl - Virtanen

Ehlers - Horvat - Kassian

Fox - Gaunce - Jensen

Archibald - Cassels - Grenier

Hello!

so your plan to get 3 top 10 picks is???

The more I look at the picks, the more I see Calgary picking Virtanen. He plays for the Hitmen, so they've probably scouted him tons. I strongly doubt they want to make another hometown error (Poirier over Shinkaruk). They have a couple good C prospects in Monahan, Reinhart and Jankowski. They have very good LW prospects in Baertschi, Gaudreau and Klimchuk but on RW (where I think Virtanen plays, although some websites have him listed as LW, but eliteprospects has him as a RW) they have basically nobody. All they have is Poirier.

What do you guys think of Haydn Fleury? 6'3'' 204 lbs LHD Defenseman. He is expecting to go in the 1st round late in the top 10.

Here's a profile I found.

A rangy two-way defenseman, Haydn Fleury has made his way to the number six North American skater in Central Scouting's rankings. He is solid defender and uses his speed, composure, vision and physicality to control the defensive zone. He has not quite developed his offensive play to the same level, but that is not to say he lacks promise. He has an above-average shot and moves the puck fairly well but he his vision is somewhat limited in the offensive zone. He has, however, improved in these areas this season and has produced better numbers because of it.

As far as comparisons go, I would liken him to a Brent Seabrook or Jay Bouwmeester. Defensively he plays a similar game to Seabrook because of his size, speed, and physicality, while offensively he could potentially turn into a Bouwmeester-like player, due a good shot, the ability to jump in on the rush, and above average passing.

Never a bad thing to improve your prospect pool when it comes to Defense but we need more wingers though. Would really like to get him if we somehow manage to get another top 10 pick.

I know everyone wants scoring forwards, but logistically in 3-4 years the Canucks are going to need young D men to step up and take the places of Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison etc. Drafting a premier D man now might allow sufficient time to develop in time to take the place of one of the Canucks older vets. As far as D men go, offense can develop whereas defensive ability is always needed first and foremost. Fleury might not be a bad gamble.

Archived