The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im not interested in Ehlers. I think he would be amazing to watch and all, Im just not sold that you need these kinds of players to win a Stanley Cup.

Virtanen would be a much better investment imo. He'll get greasy goals, shorthanded goals, and can be an effective player even when hes not producing... Ehlers doesnt really have much more to his game. Although the potential for game breaking offence is clearly there, the trend for successful teams is having a solid group of complete players. See Boston, StLouis, Chicago, LA, SJ, Pitts... If you can find that High offensive potential in a player that has other attributes, then obvoiusly... But not sold on Ehlers being that kind of player.

I know everyone wants scoring forwards, but logistically in 3-4 years the Canucks are going to need young D men to step up and take the places of Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison etc. Drafting a premier D man now might allow sufficient time to develop in time to take the place of one of the Canucks older vets. As far as D men go, offense can develop whereas defensive ability is always needed first and foremost. Fleury might not be a bad gamble.

I'd be very happy with Fluery. It gives us the freedom to explore the small skilled righty market. Finding a good offensive right handed dman is hard enough. Adding a guy like Fluery let's you be more flexible with the size you add on the right.

It could mean a guy like J Subban has a great chance to succeed being backed up by a premier physical great skating defensive guy on his left.

Fluery Subban Developing chemistry in Utica together could have an unreal payoff 4 or 5 years down the road when they hit their nhl break outs.

Ehlers- compared to Bure in terms of speed and skill of Markus Naslund with seeing the ice as Peter Forsberg and style of play of Patrick Kane. We might have to Kanes on our team Shinkaruk and Ehlers haha

Perlini- compared to hybrid of Jeff Carter and Max Pacioretty, not overly physical despite big body but hard to take off the puck, safe pick

Virtanen- whole package- sees the ice well, dynamic shot, superb speed and agile, big, feisty competitor, from bc

Ehlers- cross between Bure/Naslund/Forsberg/Patrick Kane

Perlini- cross between Jeff Carter/Pacioretty but faster than both of them

Virtanen- Perhaps much bigger, faster, better shot and physical version of Logan Couture

I think we should look for a dynamic offensive player with explosive shot, QUICK HANDS, speed and feisty mentality instead of the safe medium speed two way players type as we already had and have too many of them (Hodgson, Schroeder Horvat Gaunce Cassels)

IN true Canuck fan fashion....there's always next year ;)

Although I'd rather make the playoffs next year, one can't help but think future possibilities if we actually can't turn it around next year.

Sedin Sedin Eichel

Hanifin Tanev

Horvat Kesler Eichel :o haha

Even if it's only for one or 2 seasons

Sedin Sedin Mcdavid haha

I've broken down the top 15 into 3 separate categories based on what I've seen from video and read from scouting reports, and various draft ranking lists.

Can't miss NHLers:

Aaron Ekblad - top tier defenseman. Size, skating, skill - can grow a full beard at 17

Sam Reinhart - Smartest player in the draft, doesn't have elite skating or shooting but is an excellent passer

Michael Dal Colle - Brings everything, he's big with a nice wrist shot and great skating ability

Sam Bennett - plays a gritty, hard working game modeled after his hero and GM, Doug Gilmour

Leon Draisaitl - The German Gretzky, soft hands with a big body

Safe bet, probable NHLers:

Jared McCann - Out works opponents, is a standout on an average group of forwards. 2 way center.

Kasperi Kapanen - He's FAST, skilled playmaker - plays in the Finnish men's league with his father

Jake Virtanen - Talent level is questionable (rated as a B prospect on some lists), but he brings a steady hard working 2 way game.

Haydn Fleury - Has decent size, great skater. Only knock is his offensive game.

Brendan Perlini - Labeled the best RAW goal scorer, and at this point he is very raw - not much of his game has been rounded out

High risk, high reward:

Nikolaj Ehlers - skilled winger, and prolific goal scorer - size is the biggest concern as well as defensive game

William Nylander - best hands in the draft, he's also undersized. been some concern over his attitude being bumped around 4 teams this year.

Nick Ritchie - massive winger, like all big guys needs consistency. difficult to tell if big junior game can translate to NHL success

Ivan Barbashev - two way Russian centre. plays an intelligent game, only question is will he hang around in NA?

Alex Tuch - Big, and putting up points in sub par USHL. Plays on a line with Milano and Eichel - both projected as top picks.

I'd also rank them in that order. In this respect I'd sooner take a safe bet that one of the riskier players. I mean we need a consolation prize for our crappy year, not a gamble. So if we're not picking in the top 5 I'd rather take McCann or Kapanen over Ehlers.

Although I'd rather make the playoffs next year, one can't help but think future possibilities if we actually can't turn it around next year.

Sedin Sedin Eichel

Hanifin Tanev

Horvat Kesler Eichel :o haha

Even if it's only for one or 2 seasons

Sedin Sedin Mcdavid haha

Or

Fox-Gaunce-Macdavid

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen/Kassian

Think about that

Archived