The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looked through the latest ISS list to pick out some of the monsters.

This guy, Eetu Sopanen is a finnish defender that is 6'5 222lbs and is ranked 31st on the international list. Apparently has had a bad string of injuries the past couple years. Could be a cause for concern but he is the top ranked finnish defender on the euro list. I wonder if he'd be a good mid round pick and possibly a steal if his injury riddled draft year kept him back from seriously climbing the rankings. Shoots left and plays junior in finland.

This year for the Jr Pelicans he played 15 games and had 3 goals, 6 assists for 9 points. 18PM +3

Heres his hockeys future write up

Again the injury history is a concern but thats up to the scouts to investigate and determine if it is a high risk problem. Its just a random player we havent really discussed that could be an option to take a mid round gamble on. Most mid rounders dont even make it but this is one of finlands better defensive prospects and he stands at 6'5ft 222lbs.

I wonder where he would rank had he played in the World juniors?

Alexis Vanier, Ryan Collins, Adam Olatts Mattson all HUGE mobile D men as well.

Warren Foegele is looking like one of those off the board picks that could go anywhere. He was 5 '8" last year when he was first scouted but is now 6'1" 180. He's playing in prep schoo right now so it's difficult to judge talent by competition. He's committed to UNH next year.If he falls past the 3rd he's worth a look. Though McKenzie feels he could be a late first.

Someone needs to tell McKenzie that Calgary is picking 5th right now, that's not a late first

If Draisaitl or Dal Colle fell to us that would be amazing. Ritchie is a huge boom or bust. He could become a nastier version of Nathan Horton or end up as a Rupp. But gotta love that upside.

Doubt we take a defenseman first round, I have a gut feeling we'll end up with Virtanen, Perlni or McCann (safer picks). I wouldn't mind Ehlers either.

Kapanen and Nylander are far too risky.

I am curious how our new leadership will approach the draft. The players we should of selected under GIllis may have completely changed. I am very confident in Linden look forward to seeing him lead us for now and way beyond into the future. We are in good hands. Hes thoughtful, mindful, calm, and has amazing people skills. We struck out with him :D So excited.

Draisaitl be a great pick up but I trust our leadership has it in the bag.

Since we have a high 2nd rounder too, who would be a good pick in that area except for lemieux if he doesn't get picked by then?

I think it's pretty hard to say which players will be available. The 20-30 area seems pretty open. But i think these players might be available:
Jack Glover: Big right-handed two-way defenceman with good mobility.
Josh Jacobs: Also a big right-handed two-way defenceman. Better skater than Glover but not as much upside i believe.
Hunter Smith is also a pretty interesting name. Also wouldn't mind one of the highly touted goalies, like Nedeljkovic/Husso.
Nevertheless, there will be interesting players available at our spot for sure.

I'd love it if the Canucks could get Fleury this year and Kylington next year. Trade Kesler and Hansen in order to get in a spot to pick up Virtanen and tank next year to pick up McDavid.

How do you expect to get Kylington and McDavid? Both are top 5-10 prospects(Kylington being lower obviously)

I'm supposed to trust bleacher report?

Trust whoever you want, just saying every year the projected next year hot picks shift around. Unless your next door neighbor is a chl scout, I wouldn't put money on anyone going where you think (Unless they're named Mcdavid or Eichel)

n o

How do you expect to get Kylington and McDavid? Both are top 5-10 prospects(Kylington being lower obviously)

Expected trade value for Kesler could bring us a first in this years draft and next years. Package next years pick with Bieksa in order to move up and pick Kylington.

Quick heads up, we have a team that the league allows other teams to abuse. We regularly get beat up and punished and then suspended when we retaliate.

Unsure if you're aware of the irony of "no touch NHL" when you think of it in the context of how often we get abused on the ice without penalization to the opposing team

Your post seems to wander about. You are saying Ehlers would never make it ? He is an inch shorter than MacKinnon and just as fast if not faster.

Or are you saying if he is drafted by the Canucks he would be pasted into the ice but be a star on any other team because of rigged officiating?

Archived