The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My NHL Entry Draft 2014 (Favorites) Rankings

First Round (based on where we stand on 4/10/14 - 8th Overall Pick):

1. Big Five [sam Reinhart, Aaron Ekblad, Leon Draisaitl, Michael Dal Colle, Sam Bennett]

2. Nikolaj Ehlers
  3. Alex Tuch
  4. Brendan Perlini
  5. Nicholas Ritchie
  6. Jake Virtanen
  7. William Nylander
  8. Kasperi Kapanen
  9. Jared McCann
  10. David Pastrnak
  11. Sonny Milano
  12. Adrian Kempe
  13. Joshua Ho-Sang
  14. Nikita Scherbak
  15. Jakub Vrana
  16. Robby Fabbri
  17. Ivan Barbashev
  18. Kevin Fiala
  19. Anton Karlsson
  20. Eric Cornel
  21. Haydn Fleury
  22. Brendan Lemieux
  23. Nick Schmaltz
  24. Dylan Larkin
  25. Ryan MacInnis
  26. Jack Glover
  27. Roland McKeown
  28. Nikolay Goldobin
  29. Conner Bleackley
  30. Spencer Watson

• Big Five [sam Reinhart, Aaron Ekblad, Leon Draisaitl, Michael Dal Colle, Sam Bennett]

• Nikolaj Ehlers
  • Alex Tuch
  • Brendan Perlini
  • Nicholas Ritchie
  • Jake Virtanen
  • William Nylander
  • Kasperi Kapanen
  • Jared McCann
  • David Pastrnak
  • Sonny Milano
  • Adrian Kempe
  • Joshua Ho-Sang
  • Nikita Scherbak
  • Jakub Vrana
  • Robby Fabbri
  • Ivan Barbashev
  • Kevin Fiala
  • Anton Karlsson
  • Eric Cornel
  • Haydn Fleury
  • Brendan Lemieux
  • Nick Schmaltz
  • Dylan Larkin
  • Ryan MacInnis
  • Jack Glover
  • Roland McKeown
  • Nikolay Goldobin
  • Conner Bleackley
  • Spencer Watson

Just curious.. Why would you take Schmaltz over Larkin?

Ehlers seems to outplay his teammate Drouin every time the Halifax games are televised. The seem to be exactly the same size too, so if you wouldn't take Ehlers because of his size, the same held true last year for Drouin I'm guessing.

What about Stamkos? Big enough?

1. Big Five [sam Reinhart, Aaron Ekblad, Leon Draisaitl, Michael Dal Colle, Sam Bennett]

2. Nikolaj Ehlers
  3. Alex Tuch
  4. Brendan Perlini
  5. Nicholas Ritchie
  6. Jake Virtanen
  7. William Nylander
  8. Kasperi Kapanen
  9. Jared McCann
  10. David Pastrnak
  11. Sonny Milano
  12. Adrian Kempe
  13. Joshua Ho-Sang
  14. Nikita Scherbak
  15. Jakub Vrana
  16. Robby Fabbri
  17. Ivan Barbashev
  18. Kevin Fiala
  19. Anton Karlsson
  20. Eric Cornel
  21. Haydn Fleury
  22. Brendan Lemieux
  23. Nick Schmaltz
  24. Dylan Larkin
  25. Ryan MacInnis
  26. Jack Glover
  27. Roland McKeown
  28. Nikolay Goldobin
  29. Conner Bleackley
  30. Spencer Watson

Fluery 21st? LOL

Ehlers seems to outplay his teammate Drouin every time the Halifax games are televised. The seem to be exactly the same size too, so if you wouldn't take Ehlers because of his size, the same held true last year for Drouin I'm guessing.

Stamkos is 6'1.....

All the sources say Ehlers is under 165. We will find out come the draft combine how much he weighs but there is no possible way a team will take a guy under 165 in the top 10.

There is no way that Ehlers "speed" will translate to the NHL in a useful sense. He won't be able to go around NHL defensemen at top speed like he can in the Q. He might win a could quick dashes to the corners but he is very likely to get overpowered.

Ehlers is bigger than Drouin. He is almost 6ft and is about 170 now. I suspect he will be 6ft and 185 at full playing weight when he is 22. Nathan MacKinnon is also 6ft and he goes at about 182. He is certainly not too small.

The NHL is transitioning more towards speed. We see it every year. Its nice to have a superstar who is 6ft 3 and can fight but those are gold (cough Kassian cough) and come around once a generation.

It is my opinion Ehlers is almost as good as Mac Kinnon and Druoin . He was not a product of them, but in fact their equal and enhanced each other. If he falls to us

TAKE HIM

All the sources say Ehlers is under 165. We will find out come the draft combine how much he weighs but there is no possible way a team will take a guy under 165 in the top 10.

There is no way that Ehlers "speed" will translate to the NHL in a useful sense. He won't be able to go around NHL defensemen at top speed like he can in the Q. He might win a could quick dashes to the corners but he is very likely to get overpowered.

Seeing as he started the season at 162-165, I think it is safe to say he has not lost weight, especially since he has addressed the need and been training and playing all year. Looks like he is low 170's right now, and come combine day yes we will see exactly.

Very bold statements you are making, slightly ignorant too. Kid is still growing, and he is a KID, this was his first year playing in North America and he put up Mackinnon/Drouin like numbers, not bad company to be in, and if mason raymond can be an NHL regular I see no reason why Ehlers will not be. I see Ehlers frame being a mayray frame at a minimum, with a much higher skillset and potential.

I am not the biggest Ehlers supporter but I do see him as a top 7 pick now, and there are reasons for it.

And for a little context, MDC was 171 pounds at the start of the season

I would much prefer Leon or MDC over Ehlers though.

Archived