The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am by no meens a Kapanen pro, or very knowledgeable in the finnish leagues.

How does Kapanen measure up to Mikko Koivu draft year?

Food for thought M Koivu played in Sm-Liiga his draft year with 1 assist in 21 games and was drafted 6th overall.

Kapanen 14 pts in 47 games

And even in the last lockout Koivu played 10 games and had 10 pts but he was in his prime than, just fooood for thought, as I know zero about Kapanene or the finnish league.

I'm not sure. I was probably around 10 years old when he was drafted lol. Great find though, and I think this shows that you have to consider more than stats when evaluating the talent.

Thats great, do you know if these games will be streamed online anywhere? I would love to watch some of these prospects play, especially Kapanen.

I don't, but the game is at 8:30am today so a google search around that time will probably provide some links.

Just an observation but while watching Perlini's goals from 2013-2014 it seemed like a lot of them were him just standing at the side of the net tapping them in off a set play, so I checked out his stats and 16 of his 34 goals were pp goals.

I know goals are goals and Ovie scored like half of his goals off a one T on the pp.. but just saying Perlini hasn't really wowed me enough to want to take him top 10.

I don't see him standing at the side of the net, aside from one or two goals, in this video.

http://youtu.be/U6jLp1eoy_E

Its a small sample size, but most of his goals in that video, came from off the rush.

Linden said he wanted big two-way players. Linden said he wants to follow the Boston model. That takes any offensive player out of the equation in this years draft.

I don't think his one off hand remark about a Boston model makes everything so black and white. He also talked about team balance being very important. I do expect him to take a guy like Ritchie though over someone like nylander... But I don't think it's as set in stone as you believe.

In regards to Richie, we have to be VERY wary about signing somebody who is already his size. He is significantly bigger and stronger (read: more developed physically) than his competition in junior allowing him to just bully and muscle his way around. He can't do that in NHL. I'd be curious how much of him is muscle and how much is still teenager. Watch him closely at the combine, if he blows it away then that would actually be a detriment to his draft stock in my opinion. He gets his success because of his size and conditioning, not because of skill. His advantage, come the NHL, would be gone and we would be left with Taylor friggen Pyatt or the like.

You want to draft somebody tall with room to develop and fill out. Given identical stats, I would draft somebody 6'1 and 180 lbs with a projectable frame over somebody 6'1 and 220 lbs that is already developed.

We are dealing with kids here. They are still developing. There are things that are very hard to teach: mental toughness, drive, will. Who is going to play through the cracked ribs because the thought of losing is unbearable and who, on the flip side, is Jason Bonsignore who's heart was never really in it. We need to know who wants to be a hockey player to win and who wants to be a hockey player because the pay is good.

The top three are gone by time we get to our pick, so we don't have to worry about them. That leaves one of Draisatl, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen Kapanen and Nylander.

Dal Colle is interesting, tall but still skinny he could still add 30 or 40 pounds of muscle to his frame if he was dedicated, but I doubt he makes it out of the top 5.

Kapanen and Nylander are intriguing as well- they will never be big but they will be bigger than they are now and they are already succeeding against men.

Ehlers scares me- he doesn't appear to have that projectable of a frame and I am not a fan of drafting small forwards out of the Q.

I put Virtanen in the same boat as Ritchie- how much is skill and how much is size?

With imperfect knowledge, my current listing is as follows:

Dal Colle

Kapanen

Nylander

Ritchie

Virtanen

I am ignoring Draisatl, I think he goes fourth.

We won't know more until we have interviews with the players and get first hand reports from the scouts. This list is likely to change if it comes back that Ritchie is mostly baby fat (which would send him higher) or Nylander is a head case or Dal Colle has the knees of a 40 year old backcatcher.

Interesting times!

If NYI gives buffalo their pick this year, I wonder what it would take to trade spots with buffalo? Or even just get their 5th pick?

If we moved up a spot we would probably have our choice of Bennett, MDC, possibly Draisaitl if Edm doesn't take him. It would definitely be worth it IMO to have a chance at one of those guys, all clearly on another level than the 6-10 group.

For the 100th tine ritchie doesnt rely on his size and has more pure skill or iq than any power forward in the nhl did at 18

His older brother played and guided him a alot more thanmost nhlers.

Ritchie is the pick

Moving up is stupod who are u gonna give nyi hansen ,shinkauk? Nuts to that just keep as many prospects as possible

Ritchie has the things u cant teach and the things u can. All developig way faster than an avg pf

For the 100th tine ritchie doesnt rely on his size and has more pure skill or iq than any power forward in the nhl did at 18

His older brother played and guided him a alot more thanmost nhlers.

Ritchie is the pick

Wow, pretty definitive and bold statement right there.... Maybe that's why I find myself discounting your opinions.

Moving up is stupod who are u gonna give nyi hansen ,shinkauk? Nuts to that just keep as many prospects as possible

Ritchie has the things u cant teach and the things u can. All developig way faster than an avg pf

Would you take Ritchie over draisaitl or MDC?

And yes, trade the 6th and Higgins or Hansen for the 5th, make more room on the roster for youth and get a potential 1C or top line PWF.

Ritchie is a good player no doubt, but his ceiling is 2nd liner at best IMO. That wrist shot won't beat NHL goalies like it does junior goalies, nor will he find himself all alone in the slot as much in the NHL.

Just heard on team 1040 from Linden that all of CDC must agree on our 6th round pick or it will be forfeited. :frantic:

Also, following the hype here and while Ritchie may have a unique skillset the reason people are worried is because youth players that are overly big usually have a hard time adapting. 235 lbs if accurate is huge for a kid. If a kid is this good at his size he should be the consensus # 1. He'd be more valuable than McDavid so definitely some bust possibility there.

And finally who keeps trying to trade Kesler for a 10th round pick in this year's draft. :picard:

Trading a player based on who their junior partner is should only be used if you are absolutely on the fence and you don't have a coin to flip. The chances of two players ending up together on the same line in the NHL is very slim, and chemistry isn't that important. Unless of course you exect them to become the next Gretzky Kurri combo or something. You might as well pick the player that looks best in blue and green.

If NYI gives buffalo their pick this year, I wonder what it would take to trade spots with buffalo? Or even just get their 5th pick?

If we moved up a spot we would probably have our choice of Bennett, MDC, possibly Draisaitl if Edm doesn't take him. It would definitely be worth it IMO to have a chance at one of those guys, all clearly on another level than the 6-10 group.

thats a point most people are forgetting about. I think there's a good chance the NYI give up this years pick to Buffalo. If so, it might be a way for the Canucks to move up and get LD. The 6th pick and their 2nd for 4th overall?

edit - 5th

thats a point most people are forgetting about. I think there's a good chance the NYI give up this years pick to Buffalo. If so, it might be a way for the Canucks to move up and get LD. The 6th pick and their 2nd for 4th overall?

I think they'd have to be crazy. They should be close to a playoff team next year.

Why on earth would you trade a 5 pick for a 12 pick, unless of course you're an extreme gambler and want ride your <2% of winning McDavid? That would be pretty dumb though I think.

Yea it's a tough call for NYI to give up top 5 this year to keep next years pick. It's basically telling your fan base that you expect to suck again next year. Unless the 2015 is so much better and kids in the 15th spot are better than the top 5 this year.

I think they'd have to be crazy. They should be close to a playoff team next year.

Why on earth would you trade a 5 pick for a 12 pick, unless of course you're an extreme gambler and want ride your <2% of winning McDavid? That would be pretty dumb though I think.

12th? I wouldn't say the NYI are looking any better next year than this and it's a far deeper draft than this year.

Just heard on team 1040 from Linden that all of CDC must agree on our 6th round pick or it will be forfeited. :frantic:

Also, following the hype here and while Ritchie may have a unique skillset the reason people are worried is because youth players that are overly big usually have a hard time adapting. 235 lbs if accurate is huge for a kid. If a kid is this good at his size he should be the consensus # 1. He'd be more valuable than McDavid so definitely some bust possibility there.

And finally who keeps trying to trade Kesler for a 10th round pick in this year's draft. :picard:

Trading a player based on who their junior partner is should only be used if you are absolutely on the fence and you don't have a coin to flip. The chances of two players ending up together on the same line in the NHL is very slim, and chemistry isn't that important. Unless of course you exect them to become the next Gretzky Kurri combo or something. You might as well pick the player that looks best in blue and green.

Really? Not that important?

Remind me again how many line combos were used with the twins this year WITHOUT success due to no chemistry and lack of thought between the player riding with the twins.

Chemistry is everything if the skill set isn't equal

And I have suggested a few times taking Ritchie with our 1st and Cornel with our 2nd because Cornel is slotted in at 38th in the draft...and we have the 36th pick if I recall

Archived