The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I respect your opinion but when it comes to Virtanen, I see him like a mould of clay. If the canucks drafted him and moulded him how they wanted and do a good job he has 1st line potential. Hes big for 17, hes fast, amazing shot, physical. He has all the tools.

As swift says. Tools but no tool box.

Like David Booth, Booth has alot of tools but lacks hockey sense to put it all together. Even with Kesler to a certain extent (though with him I think its more of not focusing on playing a playmaker game rather than not being able too)

I could see Virtanen being a good 20 or 25 goal scorer, even with 30 goals here or there. But I don't see him ever getting much more than like 30 assists.

:lol: Our list is the same except I would prefer Ehlers over Kapanen.

Ya if we get either I won't be disappointed. Just got to go with high upside here.

Bleacher Report Top 10 prospects as at the end of March.

What I find interesting is their perspective on the trend for each player. The Nylander fans on this thread will be happy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1995191-stock-watch-for-the-top-10-prospects-in-the-2014-nhl-draft

Stocks Falling: Fleury, Draisaitl, Reinhart.

Stocks Rising: Ekblad, Bennett, Dal Colle, Nylander, Perlini, Virtanen, Tuch.

So if Draisaitl is there for us at 6, do we take him? Or do we grab one of the power forwards in Virtanen or Ritchie?

I respect your opinion but when it comes to Virtanen, I see him like a mould of clay. If the canucks drafted him and moulded him how they wanted and do a good job he has 1st line potential. Hes big for 17, hes fast, amazing shot, physical. He has all the tools.

It's weird hearing all the excuses for the other guys, 'oh he might grow', 'oh but he can learn defense', 'oh but he he's not that slow', etc.

But with Virtanen having all these physical attributes, respect from the WHL as a league, us as fans absolutely thirsty for some WHL power and a high goal-scoring season to boot, it's 'well he has no hockey sense at all.'

Really? He seems to have enough hockey sense to be the offensive leader on Team Canada's U18 squad.

Honestly, yeah, he's not the best playmaker in the world, but why should that be an end-all reason to disregard him, considering all his other top-notch physical attributes? It makes zero sense.

Virtanen was a 1st overall WHL bantam pick. A 19-20yr old WHL d-man I know said that Virtanen is the best player he's ever played against. Better than Shinkaruk. Better than anyone in recent drafts. If that's not legit respect, I don't know what is.

We should select Virtanen. He's fast, big, tough and can score highlight reel goals. He loves the Canucks. He loves Linden. He's going to be the real deal. I think we would sorely regret not selecting him.

Well, I've made my pitch. Do what you will with it. There are other players i'll be happy with, but I seriously think Virtanen would make us happier as fans than most of them.

It'd be really funny if Ritchie is this hyped up and Burke takes him and he becomes even better than anyone would of imagined and he consitently becomes the Canucks worst nightmare keeping us form the playoffs his entire career

As a Canucks' fan, please explain exactly how this scenario would be funny at ALL?

That sounds like a f**king coma inducing nightmare.

Its not that funny, cause its entirely possible.

I don't find it funny at all.

No true Canuck fan would find that the least bit humourous...

^ I believe Burke will roll the dice on Ritchie based on the above.

1. Florida - Ekblad

2. Buffalo - Reinhart

3. Edmonton - Bennett

4. Calgary - Ritchie

5. NYI - Draisaitl

6. Vancouver - Dal Colle

7. Carolina - Kapanen

8. Toronto - Ehlers

9. Winnipeg - Nylander

10. Anaheim - Virtanen

11. Nashville - Perlini

12. Phoenix - Tuch

13. Washington - McCann

Mother of God, Anaheim's going to get yet another great, tough forward to add to their lineup. But do you pick Virtanen over Dal Colle? I think Linden might, from what he's been saying. Or we could pick up Dal Colle this year and go next year for a game-breaker type. Makes sense. But we'll see.

Canucks could end up tanking this season for a left-shooting two-way player that we have a lot of already. Virtanen's speed gives him a bit of an NHL-transferable upside, imho.

Then trade Kesler to Anaheim for the 10th overall, a prospect/roster prospect and their 2015 1st. Shouldn't we be trying to tank for McDavid anyway? Adding Kesler to a division foe just further helps in achieving that goal: more losses.

Ana: Kesler

Van: 10th overall 2014, 1st round 2015, Sami Vatanen

Car: Edler

Van: 7th overall 2104, Brock McGinn

6th: Ritchie

7th: Nylander

10th: Fleury

Ritchie-Nylander-Jensen

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian

Gaunce-Cassels-Grenier

Fox-Lain-Mallet

Fleury-Tanev

Vatanen-Corrado

Cederholm-Hutton

Subban

Lack

Markstrom

Eriksson

Cannata

Pretty good foundation we would still have two 1sts next year in 2015, meaning two in three straight years.

I'm lovin' those moves. I found myself "plus"ing almost every single one of your posts in this thread.

One of the only posters in this thread who's saliva for one player isn't blinding their vision for the others.

As for myself, I just want at least one of these guys: Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Ritchie, Virtanen or Perlini. I do, however, believe we should be drafting every single player that resembles Jamie Benn, Alex Chaisson, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Milan Lucic, Jarome Iginla, David Backes, Ryan Johansen, Max Pacioretty, Jakub Voracek, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell, Rick Nash, Gabriel Landeskog, Mikko Koivu, Charlie Coyle etc, until we actually get a couple of those guys that pan out at this level and go from there. This franchise needs some big players that can provide primary scoring and also stand up to playoff wear and tear. It looks like we may have something in Kassian, which is a good start. Now let's add to it.

What I find interesting is their perspective on the trend for each player. The Nylander fans on this thread will be happy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1995191-stock-watch-for-the-top-10-prospects-in-the-2014-nhl-draft

So if Draisaitl is there for us at 6, do we take him? Or do we grab one of the power forwards in Virtanen or Ritchie?

We take him, run and laugh.

We take him, run and laugh.

Any concerns about the thinking of some scouts that he does't play fast enough, or doesn't like to play in physical areas?

I guess It'll be worth it just to get to say his nickname, the Deutschland Mangler.

And making a bad pick for just that reason helps that how?

Huh? I don't get what you're saying.

I'm saying any pick we take will be a good pick because we have weak depth at all positions in our prospect pool. If it be Ritchie, Virtanen, Nylander, Ehlers, or Kapanen, they will all be a good pick.

Any concerns about the thinking of some scouts that he does't play fast enough, or doesn't like to play in physical areas?

I guess It'll be worth it just to get to say his nickname, the Deutschland Mangler.

Isn't it the Deutschland Dangler?

He is big enough to not get pushed around and he has the IQ to make plays without speed

I've seen several people post etem and both anaheim 1sts for kesler.

Thinking that ducks would not do that. 10th overall pick has potential to be better than kesler 5 years from now and etem is a legitimate great prospect that has shown he can contribute in the nhl in his limited opportunities.

I think if we can get even these 2 thats a great trade but good luck getting both firsts and etem.

I doubt they will even offer the 10th. Likely the latter of the 2 first would be in their offer realiatically.

There are concerns about all the prospects in our range. His concerns are minimal compared to the other players though. Based off of this year and what he's done he should be a better player than Ritchie/Virtanen.

It's weird hearing all the excuses for the other guys, 'oh he might grow', 'oh but he can learn defense', 'oh but he he's not that slow', etc.

But with Virtanen having all these physical attributes, respect from the WHL as a league, us as fans absolutely thirsty for some WHL power and a high goal-scoring season to boot, it's 'well he has no hockey sense at all.'

Really? He seems to have enough hockey sense to be the offensive leader on Team Canada's U18 squad.

Honestly, yeah, he's not the best playmaker in the world, but why should that be an end-all reason to disregard him, considering all his other top-notch physical attributes? It makes zero sense.

Virtanen was a 1st overall WHL bantam pick. A 19-20yr old WHL d-man I know said that Virtanen is the best player he's ever played against. Better than Shinkaruk. Better than anyone in recent drafts. If that's not legit respect, I don't know what is.

We should select Virtanen. He's fast, big, tough and can score highlight reel goals. He loves the Canucks. He loves Linden. He's going to be the real deal. I think we would sorely regret not selecting him.

Well, I've made my pitch. Do what you will with it. There are other players i'll be happy with, but I seriously think Virtanen would make us happier as fans than most of them.

I like your intensity.

So Nylander is a slick skating play maker and Kapanen is a speedy, 2-way forward? From what you have seen does Nylander have the strength, or the know how to play a 2-way game or is he a floater? If Nylander does well in the combine it might regain my attention, but for right now hes not even in my top 9.

Yeah, Nylander is an offensive wizard that isn't bright defensively. Defense can be taught though.

Kapanen is a complete two-way player who goes hard on the forecheck and backcheck, he is physical (especially in the U18 this year). He has very nice hands and a pretty good shot.

Nylander is better offensively but a risk, he can become nothing or a star with his offense skills. Kapanen can always be a shutdown, reliable player at worst but at best he can be a Sharp/Hossa.

Draisaitl

Archived