The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm just glad you've stopped saying he has slow foot speed and lacks offense.

It really doesn't matter who you prefer.

Exactly, the new GM/Linden are ultimately the only people who matter when it comes to this decision.

They could go way off the board if they really like someone ranked mid-round.

Ritchie put up 38 points in his last 25 regular season games including 20 goals and 18 assists since January!! Giving him a ppg of over 1.5 higher than both Sam Bennett and MDC in this time period. Add to the fact he has great size, haven't seen or heard anything negative about his character and is clutch scoring a game seven overtime goal in a playoff series. Linden is in my opinion the most clutch player in the franchise history and I think that kinda stuff will impress him. Its a no brainer that Ritchie should be our 6th pick if not already taken by Calgary at 4th which I believe is a possibility. Ehlers is a good second choice, a little bit more risky and kinda similar to Shinkaruk but could have big payoff. After that I could live with Virtanen or Nylander if our scouts are really high on them.

The thing about Ehlers is, he's a feline. We have enough of those.

Time for some real homegrown talent. Do you want a guy who can score goals off the rush? Who can beat defensemen wide? Who hits like a truck and shoots harder than shotgun?

Then you want Virtanen - a guy with some sack.

Bam.

Who cares about talent when you're face is down on the ice in games that matter, right?

I'm not surprised that some people are comparing Ehlers to Bure here when we kinda had a guy like Ehlers more recently. In Grabner. If Grabner had a better year though people would make that comparison. Bure's name is always put up as an attention grab, always with the 'he won't be as good as' asterisk.

Ehlers, like Grabner, will need to go to the east to succeed unless the west softens up a bit.

Man I hate the Bruins. Now everyone thinks you need a team full of goons to win. That is not the case. You need combo of big and small players to win. Our team's biggest issue is SCORING. Our biggest need is a playmaker right now because our team can't generate any damn offense. Ritchie will not solve that problem. He is a player that needs someone to GET HIM the puck to put in the net. Our concern right now is that player to get OTHERS the puck.

Man I hate the Bruins. Now everyone thinks you need a team full of goons to win. That is not the case. You need combo of big and small players to win. Our team's biggest issue is SCORING. Our biggest need is a playmaker right now because our team can't generate any damn offense. Ritchie will not solve that problem. He is a player that needs someone to GET HIM the puck to put in the net. Our concern right now is that player to get OTHERS the puck.

this. why do we have to be one or the other? best team in the nhl right now is that sharks. they have big guys small guys old guys young guys skilled guys fast guys.

Quite a few people here are perpetuating the rumours about Nylander's attitude issues.

The USA Today quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/woodlief/2014/03/19/nhl-draft-preview-red-line-report-march/6617411/

"while William Nylander has recently rebounded from some early doldrums, we have soured somewhat on all the drama that surrounds his attitude. Having said that, we can't knock him out of the top 10 because, well he's very likely the most purely skilled offensive player in this draft."

Nylander brings up ice-time issues:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/89343/2013-u18-wjc-video-william-nylander-sweden/

He discusses what happened this past season:

http://cms.springboardplatform.com/previews/73/video/918647/0/0/1

Yea he's arrogant but he's also 17. Try to put yourself in his position. He was getting 3rd\4th line minutes in his draft year. So what's wrong with asking to go to a team that will play you more when you are trying to improve yourself as a player and showcase your talents? I think we can all agree the best way to improve is to get more ice-time. Seriously, these attitude issues are overblown.

He'll have these same issues during his ELC, as he'll demand icetime to 'showcase his talent' as Coho did in order to demand a large 2nd contract. The issues will go away when he gets what he wants.

Or

The attitude is fine now and he's focusing on being a great 2-way, even-strength player and big game player.

Drafting for a player that the team needs right now is silly. Who knows what the teams needs will be in 3-5 years when these propects are ready to make an actual impact in the NHL...Factor in most players don't really start to peak until 25/26 which is 6 years after they are drafted you most definitely have to go BPA..

Drafting for a player that the team needs right now is silly. Who knows what the teams needs will be in 3-5 years when these propects are ready to make an actual impact in the NHL...Factor in most players don't really start to peak until 25/26 which is 6 years after they are drafted you most definitely have to go BPA..

Im sure Kassian, Matthias, Gaunce, Jensen, and probably Higgins will be here in the foreseeable future. Even so, we still need another explosive offensive player in our prospect pool. Shinkaruk and Jensen are shooters. We need that playmaker in our prospect pool for the future.

Very impressive, heck of a playmaker. Great shot too.

Such a great skater that he can get by handling the puck in the dirty areas.

Also Forsling (#4) seems to have a great shot from the point, really good on the PP, maybe someone we should look into for the later rounds.

He'll have these same issues during his ELC, as he'll demand icetime to 'showcase his talent' as Coho did in order to demand a large 2nd contract. The issues will go away when he gets what he wants.

Or

The attitude is fine now and he's focusing on being a great 2-way, even-strength player and big game player.

I think he'll be fine and get plenty of ice in Sweden and then the AHL before he's ready for the NHL.

With Coho, you have to realize that there were other issues which contributed to him asking for more ice-time than just to showcase his talent. There was conflict with the coach calling him out in the media and his father was rumoured to be influencing his decisions. AV is no longer with the Canucks, and I assume Nylander's father will be a positive influence, teaching him what it takes to be a pro in the NHL. There is really nothing to worry about when it comes to his attitude.

The latter situation you mentioned is probably how it plays out.

some guy pointed this out earlier. Bure was obviously an amazing player but how would he do in today's league against? Comparing Ehlers to Bure means nothing. Ehlers isn't half the player Bure was and it's a different league.

Comparing Ehlers to Bure is stupid, might as well call Ritchie Lindros.

Archived