The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When they really think about how Drouin would take a lot of focus off Ehlers from the opposing team's D. Even if he didn't directly assist Ehlers it's still a major factor for his success, especially in the soft QMJ.

Ritchie had an electrifying playoff run with his team to beat Sam Bennett's team with a game 7 OT winner.

Horvat did the same thing a few years ago, and apparently was a large part in picking him. If Ritchie ever found his consistency, especially by being drafted by such a hockey crazy organization, we would have a 35 goal scoring power forward, that get's it done like Getzlaf and Lucic do, the player he's said he models his game after.

Yeah hearing about his playoff series definitely bumped him up in my book. I really hope we draft the kid. He's got the all around tools and the concerns in him are very coachable and correctable.

Conditioning, is one I hear. That's the easiest concern to correct. We have a great development team in van. I have no doubt that by the time Ritchie steps on nhl ice he'd be a physical freak of natured and absolutely shredded. Our organization would make sure of it and give him all the help their highest pick since the twins needs to become something special.

Consistency is another. I've heard he has big games and off nights. That is something that will come from experience and coaching as well. Having utica is going to be great for all our prospects. We can now micro manage them a lot better and help with consistency issues. We now decide who coaches our kids.

I won't be bummed if we draft Virtanen though. I just think his "concerns" could go either way. He has an unbelievable shot, one of the best I've ever seen from a junior. I just don't see the all around game in him. Now you gotta teach a guy who loves to do it all himself to pass the puck. It might not come as easy to him as Ritchie lifting more weights and eating better. Still he's a great prospect that if he pans out we would have an unbelievable right handed shot on the team.

Ehlers or Nylander are kinda boom or bust and I'd prefer to take a hard nosed Canadian. If they overcome the size issue and add a little bite to their game, the payoff could be huge. But again the size issue is a lot harder to correct than Ritchie's conditioning.

I just look Ritchie as having the all around tools. Good vision, knows when and where to be for prime scoring chances. Great shot and good passes and can completely overwhelm you physically. He seems to have a fair balance of qualities and an easier road to success... That as opposed to the other guys who gotta learn to pass more or play a little more gritty to hang in the nhl. Ritchie doesn't need to alter his style at all. It's all there he just needs to be shown the ropes and be directed down the path to being a pro.

When they really think about how Drouin would take a lot of focus off Ehlers from the opposing team's D. Even if he didn't directly assist Ehlers it's still a major factor for his success, especially in the soft QMJ.

Ritchie had an electrifying playoff run with his team to beat Sam Bennett's team with a game 7 OT winner.

Horvat did the same thing a few years ago, and apparently was a large part in picking him. If Ritchie ever found his consistency, especially by being drafted by such a hockey crazy organization, we would have a 35 goal scoring power forward, that get's it done like Getzlaf and Lucic do, the player he's said he models his game after.

Fatboy's 'electrifying run' ended abruptly in the next round. At least Horvat went a little bit further.

It was Matt Sekeras that said he heard from someone within the Canucks organization that Nylander has fallen off our draft board because of consistency problems, questionable work ethic and the fact that his pops is micromanaging his career.

^Oh my GOD this!

Thanks Canucks, if true. I hope Linden whips our scouts into shape in a real hurry.

Hockey than top shelf prospects scroll down last picture bottom left click on next page till you get to #6 great story on Nick Ritchie.

Saw that article it looks great,

I think alot of people underestimate how such a monster size of a player will benefit form his older brother being pro.

Ive been all over the map on who to select and why. From selecting from a position of need, to a skill of need, to BPA, to size and toughness...

Again the biggest issue with this draft is that theres no easy answer, and far too many directions to take which all have a significant amount of risk.... At 6 there just too many question marks for the players with the higher potential, but not enough potential for the players with fewer question marks...

Id FAR rather trade the pick in a package for either a top 3 pick or use it to help pick up a young player that can contribute next season. Id dont see any potential star power outside the top 5, and we already have a nice stock pile of "good" and "solid surefire NHL prospects" on the way. Either add to the team as it is by infusing some 20-25 year old depth or draft a star. Dont be foolish and settle for a 6th pick in a weak draft where you could have a tough time deciding on a player from the 6th through the 12th overall picks.

Ive been all over the map on who to select and why. From selecting from a position of need, to a skill of need, to BPA, to size and toughness...

Again the biggest issue with this draft is that theres no easy answer, and far too many directions to take which all have a significant amount of risk.... At 6 there just too many question marks for the players with the higher potential, but not enough potential for the players with fewer question marks...

Id FAR rather trade the pick in a package for either a top 3 pick or use it to help pick up a young player that can contribute next season. Id dont see any potential star power outside the top 5, and we already have a nice stock pile of "good" and "solid surefire NHL prospects" on the way. Either add to the team as it is by infusing some 20-25 year old depth or draft a star. Dont be foolish and settle for a 6th pick in a weak draft where you could have a tough time deciding on a player from the 6th through the 12th overall picks.

I understand the point but where I disagree is that the top 15 is a lot deeper than people give credit for. There is no outright star player who is a consensus #1. There is a top tier of 5 blue chip prospects and from 6 to 12 there are solid NHL pros. After that it becomes weak.

I dont trade down past 15 . You may not get a regular NHL player at that point.

For my money, I go with guys who have NHL star potential at #6 rather than solid nhl 2nd liner .

For anyone interested in the broader shape of the draft, here's a pretty comprehensive list of the picks traded:

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/2014.htm

Canucks are only missing a 4th this year. Interesting to see how many of the picks were conditional on playoff performance. The NJD pick was of course a head scratcher, in as much as the league backed out of their initial punishment. NJD also chose to keep their 29th pick in 2012.

Pretty interesting, thanks for sharing.

It was Matt Sekeras that said he heard from someone within the Canucks organization that Nylander has fallen off our draft board because of consistency problems, questionable work ethic and the fact that his pops is micromanaging his career.

Yeah these are kinda my concerns aswell, I see the upside, but the concerns really worry me with this pick. I agree with what you said about the magnitude of this pick, if we were in a spot like the Isles where we had high picks for many years in a row & had a really good prospect pool then I would take that risk that he could develop into an absolute star, but he's just too risky IMO for where we are now.

He really is a question mark isnt he? I dont know enough about his game to say if I would choose him in front of Ehlers or anyone really. I have seen him as high as 7th and as low as 14th .

The closer we get to the combine the more its apparent to me that 6 -15 is basically putting their names in and pulling them out one by one.

I wouldn't take Kapanen ahead of Ehlers, maybe not even ahead of Ritchie (I have Ritchie a bit ahead ATM, tho I'd have to give it more thought) but I would take him ahead of Nylander.

There is NO chance that he goes top 10.

Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisatl, MDC, Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, Kapanen, Nylander, Perlini, Fleury, Tuch

Absolute no chance for sure. Faila's not going before them.

I think calgary will take Bennett or Da Colle both are big body players who fit Trevlings mode of "big body" players, plus the need a number 1/2 centre or top 6 winger to go with Monahan. I see Richie to a team doesn't need him to make a impact right away

This is how I see the draft going

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3.Draisatli

4.Ritchie

5.Ehlers

I see us ending up with eaither Bennett or Da Colle

Id choose Bennett

Who would you choose

I take Bennet as well. I see the prospects falling the same with 1 and 2 maybe switching? If Ehlers is as good as everyone is arguing him to be than he will be in the top 5. And also just depending on the needs of a team picking I think Ritchie will be 7/8.

1.Ekblad/Reinhart

2.Reinhart/Ekblad

3.Draisaitl

4.Bennett/MDC/Ehlers

5.Ehlers/MDC/Bennett

6.Bennett/MDC/Ehlers

All depends on the teams scouting reports, their needs and the combine may have a little effect.

This is how I see the draft going

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3.Draisatli

4.Ritchie

5.Ehlers

I see us ending up with eaither Bennett or Da Colle

Id choose Bennett

Who would you choose

Bennett, think he will go top 4 though. Hope we take Virtanen he can hit hard, skilled, BC guy who our pick is perfectly lined up with in this draft, he's a goal scorer too. Everyone wants the skilled player in this years draft and people are overlooking Virtanen just because he has a physical edge too. We'll see who we get though with Trev and the new GM.

Archived