The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trading down for Fabbri or Fiala wouldn't be a bad deal if we got another late 1st. or a 2015 first from someone as well.

I have a feeling we are going to trade up for some reason though.

I would really like Fabbri. It would just be a major risk to trade down for him, as I have mentioned above that a team like the Hurricanes, Leafs, Jets, or Ducks may very well take a chance on him. Let's not kid ourselves, the kid's been darn impressive, and he was excellent in Guelph's first game of the Memorial Cup.

If Florida is indeed very high on Ehlers, we may swap picks with them as the major part of a trade. That would only be if Florida believes that the Isles wouldn't take Ehlers with their pick.

I would really like Fabbri. It would just be a major risk to trade down for him, as I have mentioned above that a team like the Hurricanes, Leafs, Jets, or Ducks may very well take a chance on him. Let's not kid ourselves, the kid's been darn impressive, and he was excellent in Guelph's first game of the Memorial Cup.

If Florida is indeed very high on Ehlers, we may swap picks with them as the major part of a trade. That would only be if Florida believes that the Isles wouldn't take Ehlers with their pick.

I think its a great idea. We can trade Our first next year and our 6th overall pick to the Panthers to get that 1st overall pick.

Panthers are happy because they get Ehlers or Nylander, and a 1st round pick that will most probably be a top 15 and even a lottery pick for Mc David.

Canucks get the 1st overall pick to ensure that Fabbri will be there so we can pick him. Better safe than sorry right?

win/win

I agree with SID.IS.SID. It's hard not to like what Fabbri brings to the table. Even with the 'questionable' size, he could slip into the top-10. Not at #6 for me though

It's funny, i've been a proponent of grabbing Ehlers, but i've got this nagging feeling that Nylander is going to end up as a Nicklas Backstrom-like player (Exactly what this system needs).

This has to be the most difficult draft order to gauge in recent memory (10+ years)

When we're discussing Fabbri now, who may be past 20th, we're getting pretty sad.

I view this thread as a forum to discuss draft eligible prospects, not just guys around #6 hole.

And its not as if this year has a consensus draft order to follow.. we could see a "top-5' player fall to 7 or 8 and we could see a mid-20's player grabbed in the top-10.

Hell, we see that kind of stuff in drafts that are far easier to predict than this year.

Long offseason, high draft pick.. don't look at it as being sad, just let it happen

When we're discussing Fabbri now, who may be past 20th, we're getting pretty sad.

Sad?

Maybe you're lost, because this is a hockey discussion forum and more particularly a discussion about the upcoming draft... So no, discussing draft eligible prospects is not sad.

I view this thread as a forum to discuss draft eligible prospects, not just guys around #6 hole.

And its not as if this year has a consensus draft order to follow.. we could see a "top-5' player fall to 7 or 8 and we could see a mid-20's player grabbed in the top-10.

Hell, we see that kind of stuff in drafts that are far easier to predict than this year.

Long offseason, high draft pick.. don't look at it as being sad, just let it happen

Oh. I read the title of the thread as otherwise, but if Fabbri needs to be discussed regardless, okily-dokily.

What about Sonny Milano? Alex Tuch? They're better prospects than Fabbri imho. I'd even pick Tuch over Ritchie, but was called dumb because of that. Tuch is a similar player without the injury history though.

I have to agree, if Canucks do decide to trade down then Fabbri has to be considered. I admit I know nothing about his game but if he plays a really gritty game then I am not scared by his height. Assuming his interviews and combine results go well, I still only see him as 10th at the earliest but could go as late as 16. If his interviews/combine don't go well I could see him fall to 20 range. I don't think it is a risk to trade down to 10-11 range if Canucks wanted Fabbri cause there will still be decent talent available. For example, if Toronto takes Fabbri then that means someone else will sip. Perhaps Virtanen is available at 10 or 11. Fabbri may have been the guy but Virtanen would be an excellent consolation prize. Of course this all depends on the return coming our way.

We should go for Fabbri, as you look at past drafts sometimes the top 5, 6 etc means nothing. Look at the 2006 draft for example how Erik Johnson was ranked #1 and Toews 3rd? Central rankings sometimes mean nothing but nothing

North American

1 United States Erik Johnson (defense)

2 Canada Jordan Staal (centre)

3 Canada Jonathan Toews (centre)

4 Canada Derick Brassard (centre)

5 United States Phil Kessel (C/RW)

6 United States Peter Mueller (centre)

7 Canada Bryan Little (centre)

8 Canada Chris Stewart (right wing)

9 Canada James Sheppard (C/LW)

10 Canada Cory Emmerton (LW/C)

We should go for Fabbri, as you look at past drafts sometimes the top 5, 6 etc means nothing. Look at the 2006 draft for example how Erik Johnson was ranked #1 and Toews 3rd? Central rankings sometimes mean nothing but nothing

North American

1 United States Erik Johnson (defense)

2 Canada Jordan Staal (centre)

3 Canada Jonathan Toews (centre)

4 Canada Derick Brassard (centre)

5 United States Phil Kessel (C/RW)

6 United States Peter Mueller (centre)

7 Canada Bryan Little (centre)

8 Canada Chris Stewart (right wing)

9 Canada James Sheppard (C/LW)

10 Canada Cory Emmerton (LW/C)

I like Fabbri but not at #6. I think he is big enough to thrive but I think there are better players at our position.

Central scouting is like ISS and a whole pile of other outfits . They just have a fancy name. The actual professional scouts work for the NHL teams and wont give the info to these agencies. There are a bunch of mock drafts starting in training camp all the way up to the night before the draft.

In my opinion Bob MacKenzie has made more accurate draft predictions than both of them combined from the comforts of his studio.

TO ALL EHLERS FANS !!!

Everyone compares him to Drouin..... Does everyone forget the world juniors or something ?

Droiun should have lead the team to gold being a second overall pick and highly touted prospect

He was a snivvely little brat who took bad penalties and tried to dance the team. Where did his skill and finesse get him?

Why do we want a player like that.?

I personally think we will make a move to move up in the draft or a top 5 will drop to us

All this EHLERS,virtanen, nylander, kapanen talk is ridiculous

An interesting perspective would be to ask a player like Horvat what he thinks seeing as he's played against most of them

I want to use Chicago as an example, they have 4 big offensive players. Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa all capable of playing on the 1st line and they have Saad, Shaw, Bickell, Versteeg, Handzus who are also capable of playing the 2nd line. The depth is unreal for this team and they have excellent 4th liners in Kruger, Smith, Bollig.

We need to draft like them, draft guys who will play roles on the team, Toews, Kane, Bickell, Shaw, Saad, Smith, Kruger, Bollig all drafted by the Blackhawks. This is how teams are built, DRAFTING. Their defense is great too, Keith, Seabrook, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, all drafted by the Hawks and their prospects, McNeill, Danault, Teravainen, Clendening, Morin all about ready to step into the NHL.

We need to build a team like that, we have Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Kassian who look like top 6 players in the NHL soon and we can draft one this year, draft a 1st/2nd line center and maybe we have ourselves a team. We have some complimenting players in Gaunce, Cassels, Grenier.

We almost have ourselves a team I have expectations of Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Kassian all becoming legitimate top 6 players and Gaunce, Cassels, Grenier top 9 players. Hopefully we'll still have Kesler if we can re-sign him if not than we can have some more prospects to help out, our defense looks a bit weak if Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa grow too old but if we can draft 1-2 good future top 6 defensemens then I think we might have something. Add in a couple UFA signings and we have a team.

But I believe a center should be key in this draft, we only have Horvat who looks like a top 6 center.

Archived