The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Where is he projected to go? Would we need tp trade up? What's your assessment on Fiala? Strenghts? Weaknesses?

He is projected to go around 10-15, he has hands like Patrick Kane his work ethic has to be one of the best in the drafts, never gives up tries his hard out every shift. He is very slippery and doesn't back down from defenders. Has the skill to go through a whole team.

Offensively, Fiala is a fairly balanced player. He has a good offensive IQ, is a creative passer, has a hard shot, and is also a very speedy and shifty skater. On top of that, he is physical and hard working. In order to make it to the next level, he needs to work on his game defensively but he certainly has time to do so.

Edmonton has Eberle and Yakupov on the right....Hall, Perron on the left. They need a big center behind RNH. Draisaitl fits that bill provided Buffalo doesnt pick him up

Most important, they need a young blue chip defenseman. ...

I put defenseman as their highest need but I said that my picks were including no trades. There is no chance that Edmonton keeps both Yakupov and Eberle for the rest of their future. I see Yakupov going but there's a chance Eberle does. Bennett is only one inch smaller than Draisaitl. That inch isn't a big enough of a difference to take the lower rated player (which is Draisaitl).

Even if Edmonton takes Draisaitl, I'm pointing out that I still feel Calgary picks Ritchie leaving the Canucks with either Bennett, Dal Colle or Draisaitl. I don't see Bennett dropping and since Dal Colle is a LW'er then the Isles will snap him up to play (in the future) with Tavares and Okposo, meaning I think Draisaitl is the one to drop.

Why has nobody considered Brendan Perlini yet?

He's a big skilled guy and I'm surprised nobody is talking about our chances of taking him at 6.

He could be a very good, skilled player in our lineup.

Exactly what I've been thinking. I've read almost this entire thread and it's gone up and down, left to right about Virtanen, Ehlers, Kapanen, Ritchie and Nylander but not much mention of Perlini who is ranked higher at least on ISS (http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/) than the other PF's.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards Ritchie or Virtanen but curious as to why he doesn't get much mention.

He is projected to go around 10-15, he has hands like Patrick Kane his work ethic has to be one of the best in the drafts, never gives up tries his hard out every shift. He is very slippery and doesn't back down from defenders. Has the skill to go through a whole team.

Offensively, Fiala is a fairly balanced player. He has a good offensive IQ, is a creative passer, has a hard shot, and is also a very speedy and shifty skater. On top of that, he is physical and hard working. In order to make it to the next level, he needs to work on his game defensively but he certainly has time to do so.

10-15? who's projecting that? Everything I see has him very late first round, early second.

IMO,

Ritchie and Virtanen have better chances of becoming NHL regulars.

But Ehlers and nylander and kapanen have better chances at becoming top 6 forwards. But they will also be either top 6 or nothing... So riskier in the long run.

So the question is do want to take the higher risk for a bigger reward, or play it a little safer and almost guarantee yourself some sort of roster player, with a lower chance of cracking the top 6.

No Kapanen is a safe pick.

He has a better chance at becoming a high skill top 6 forward yes, but with his complete game he could still be an NHLer if he doesn't hit his max potential.

Tellin ya...Virtanen IS the safe pick and if he is still there at #6....bank on the new GM to be up on the podium with a jersey in hand

Kapanen is safer/better.

Higher upside, and plays a more complete game, which leads me to think he has a higher floor aswell. (or atleast on par)

Yeah hopefully we can nab him at 36 but i cant see that happening

I'm just not so sure I'm that sold on him, there's gotta be a better pick for our early second. If Fiala was actually a real can't miss small guy he'd be ranked a lot higher on ISS. I'm not discrediting his skill, it's there but blowing through an nhl defense is another story. I wouldn't waste our early second on him, there will be plenty of solid picks in that range, no need to take a guy that's 5'10.

If he turns into an nhl star I'll gladly accept Plum's "I told you so". Until then the odds are so high against him, I wouldn't use the best second round pick we've had in years on him.

He is not watching this round. He watched the entire round of Halifax vs Gatineau.

Right now, Gilman is in Finland for the U18s.

Probably watching Virtanen and Kaspanen very closely. If the Linden truly wants a big power forward with the 6th pick I would rather go with Ritchie.

10-15? who's projecting that? Everything I see has him very late first round, early second.

No real scouts have said anything like that but he is making huge progress and I think that teams are watching him quietly trying not to attract much attention to Fiala because he has high potential.

He is #3 European on CS final ranks.

Exactly what I've been thinking. I've read almost this entire thread and it's gone up and down, left to right about Virtanen, Ehlers, Kapanen, Ritchie and Nylander but not much mention of Perlini who is ranked higher at least on ISS (http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/) than the other PF's.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards Ritchie or Virtanen but curious as to why he doesn't get much mention.

My guess it's because he's just not as exciting or intriguing as prospects like Ritchie (huge and can skate). Ehlers, Nylander or Kapenen who are the dynamic skilled forwards or Virtanen who's plays that fast aggressive game.

I watched a game when Peterborough played Perlini's team. Ritchie was an absolute standout and I barely noticed Perlini until he scored. But even though Ritchie looked more exciting Perlini put up more points. To me he seems like the kind of player that just knows where to go and what to do to put points on the board, so he doesn't get the attention that other prospects get but who knows. Maybe that quality will make him the best NHL'r out of the bunch.

No real scouts have said anything like that but he is making huge progress and I think that teams are watching him quietly trying not to attract much attention to Fiala because he has high potential.

He is #3 European on CS final ranks.

Keepin fiala in mind do you think he will be around when we pick 36th or do you think we will have to trade for a late 1st

Keepin fiala in mind do you think he will be around when we pick 36th or do you think we will have to trade for a late 1st

We'll have to trade for a late 1st.

Detroit or Chicago always know how to get under the radar studs.

Can sombody do me a favour and post a little bit about noah rod? Im pretty high on him, i would take him in the 5th round he would be good for our future bottom 6,

Rod is a physical, hard working winger who likes to get his nose dirty and get under the skin of his opponent. He drives the net and stands up for his teammates. Willing to do whatever is needed to get the win, he is a tireless fore checker and defensively responsible. Does not possess high end offensive upside.

I would rather go for a guy with high offensive upside with no defensive upside at all.

Rod is a physical, hard working winger who likes to get his nose dirty and get under the skin of his opponent. He drives the net and stands up for his teammates. Willing to do whatever is needed to get the win, he is a tireless fore checker and defensively responsible. Does not possess high end offensive upside.

I would rather go for a guy with high offensive upside with no defensive upside at all.

I was looking at the iss rankings, there were a few guys the got moved up from the 50s to the top 30 so i thought some some of them might be steals, i couldnt really find much on Noah Rod via video unfortunaly, other than that bio theres pretty much nothing :\

Archived