The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Players on my radar (in order):

Ekblad

Reinhart

Bennett

Draisaitl

Dal Colle

Perlini

Virtanen

Kapanen (said it before and I'll say it again, most underrated player in this draft)

Ritchie

Ehlers (don't tell S N Y P E R S)

Nylander

Fleury

Honka

Pastrnak

Kempe

There is absolutely no way of knowing yet where we will end up in the draft (heck, we can win the lottery), so I listed every single player I want the most up to pick 15 (I assume we will pick 15th at the absolute lowest).

shinkaruk_goal.jpg

Same position. Same kinda upside, if not more. But (here's the best part) we already have him.

If we take 'Eelers', then aren't we telling Hunter we don't believe in him?

Why can't they co-exist? Look at chicago with having 2 gamebreakers on RW with Hossa and Kane. It lets them separate their scoring so that 1 d pairing can't shut off the whole attack.

I'm not comparing shink and ehlers talent wise or style wise, but merely the idea of a balanced attack.

shinkaruk_goal.jpg

Same position. Same kinda upside, if not more. But (here's the best part) we already have him.

If we take 'Eelers', then aren't we telling Hunter we don't believe in him?

if Chicago had a chance do draft another kane you dont think they would? lots of teams have two number ones at positions.

crosby malkin

datsyuk Zetterberg

bergeron kreiji

hagelin kreider nash

pavelski Thornton

obviously some of these are arguable number ones at their position but my point is just because we have a speedy winger that could crack the pros in a couple years shouldn't deter us from drafting another if he truly is BPA

Why can't they co-exist? Look at chicago with having 2 gamebreakers on RW with Hossa and Kane. It lets them separate their scoring so that 1 d pairing can't shut off the whole attack.

I'm not comparing shink and ehlers talent wise or style wise, but merely the idea of a balanced attack.

we're the same you and I

Virtanen's backhand is sick, and he does hit really well with the puck on his stick. I like Ehlers as the comparisons to Bure could ignite this fan base for years to come. He has potential superstar skill set, and works very hard.

This year's draft is so intriguing as many picks have relatively even value.

I would be okay with Virtanen Perlini Ehlers McCann Nylander

Ritchie is not having a great playoffs so far.

Players on my radar (in order):

Ekblad

Reinhart

Bennett

Draisaitl

Dal Colle

Perlini

Virtanen

Kapanen (said it before and I'll say it again, most underrated player in this draft)

Ritchie

Ehlers (don't tell S N Y P E R S)

Nylander

Fleury

Honka

Pastrnak

Kempe

There is absolutely no way of knowing yet where we will end up in the draft (heck, we can win the lottery), so I listed every single player I want the most up to pick 15 (I assume we will pick 15th at the absolute lowest).

Ehlers is fricking top 5.

EHLERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

People giving Ehlers a hard time saying he's a by product of Drouin. The same was said about Drouin last year leading up to the draft. He was always considered good at the beginning of the year but MacKinnon made him a great. Then nearing the end of the season people started to notice he wasn't a by product at all and he had his own superstar ability.

People giving Ehlers a hard time saying he's a by product of Drouin. The same was said about Drouin last year leading up to the draft. He was always considered good at the beginning of the year but MacKinnon made him a great. Then nearing the end of the season people started to notice he wasn't a by product at all and he had his own superstar ability.

Certainly didn't hurt Drouin's stock that he put up over 2pts/game while MacKinnon was injured for a good stretch

I say we if we finish outside the top 10, we package the first round pick with Kesler to get an asset we really want

IMO Anaheim is a great trade partner, some great pieces and they have enough youth that if they give up 3 assets then they wont be broke

Kesler

2014 st

Marstrom

for

Etem

OTT's 2014 1st

John Gibson

Sami Vatanen

draft Virtanen

future

Shink - Etem - Kassian

Virtanen - Horvat - Jensen

Fox - Gaunce - Cassels

boom!

Ehlers is going at most 6th overall - and by this I mean he will likely go higher.

He is one of the most dynamic players in the draft and his skating is like a figure skater on coke, insanely fast feet and agility. I would not be against packaging our pick and prospects/whatever it takes to move into a position to draft him if he falls past there.

This point came up about Sam Gagner. Why he's struggled.

His problem now is that he's played 7 years in the NHL already when he should really have played only 3-4. In his draft junior year he played with Patrick Kane. Gee, you think that inflated his stats? Meanwhile, the other linemate, Sergei Kostitsyn, never amounted to much either.

In drafts, i'd shy away from thinking junior players playing with future elites are all that great themselves.

After the draft, i'm sure as hell not throwing in an undersized center into a brutal lineup with hopes that he could save them.

Logan Couture was passed on by the Oilers. He wasn't undersized. He was a leader on his team, not a beneficiary. And he also had to wait years before joining the Sharks. And look, he's currently WAY better than Gagner.

I'm noting this because Ehlers is obviously a beneficiary playing alongside Drouin, similar to Gagner playing with Kane. Him being rather skinny and undersized, i'd definitely shy away from him as Edmonton should have stayed away from Gagner and picked Couture instead.

I think the Canucks are going to make better decisions than Edmonton, but that's not saying much. They need to make decisions that allow themselves to compete with their american opponents, not other sad Canadian franchises.

If the Canucks had simply avoided undersized guys, they'd have Johansson or ROR instead of Schroeder. And since we have Shinkaruk already and Schroeder kicking around still, burning a high pick for yet another undersized guy who plays the same position and role as Shinkaruk makes no sense whatsoever.

I do not understand why many here are chanting Ehlers like he's some sort of saviour when he's not even the leader on his junior team. But there are a lot of things said here I do not agree with.

Meanwhile MacKinnon is in the NHL and Drouin is still in junior.

Now that Drouin is a year older, of course he's going to be the one leading the team.

Offensive flash with Ehlers isn't the problem. But not all players can translate it to the NHL. In the west i'd say his chances are diminished. Ehlers' best chance to flourish is in the east. In particular the SE, home of Jeff lightweight Skinner.

Yes, but Ehlers is not on the same level as Kane or Hossa. Both those players were the top offensive stars on their junior teams. Leaders. Ehlers is good, but is simply not there.

That being said, Kane and Toews works FAR better than two Kanes. We should not draft two Shinkaruks if we're building a solid group.

ps. Shinkaruk was injured when we drafted him, but at least he was his junior teams' top guy. Baby steps i guess.

Still wouldn't touch Ehlers, that script has been written with overhyped undersized forwards (yes, undersized - he's listed at 5'11'' everywhere other than eliteprospects). These types of players get it done in junior but fizzle out before the big show. There's countless examples, from our very own Jordan Schroeder, Zach Hamil to Gilbert Brule and Angelo Esposito. It's extremely difficult in today's NHL, and especially the Western conference, to fit in an undersized forward for the sole purpose of his offensive skills. There's always a good chance the scoring doesn't translate, and at that point what else can he bring to earn a roster spot?

If Ehlers falls to us past the top 10, and guys like Virtanen, McCann, and Perlini are taken, then maybe you consider Ehlers. Even then that's a pretty big gamble for a guy who's supposed to be our consolation prize for missing the playoffs.

Still wouldn't touch Ehlers, that script has been written with overhyped undersized forwards (yes, undersized - he's listed at 5'11'' everywhere other than eliteprospects). These types of players get it done in junior but fizzle out before the big show. There's countless examples, from our very own Jordan Schroeder, Zach Hamil to Gilbert Brule and Angelo Esposito. It's extremely difficult in today's NHL, and especially the Western conference, to fit in an undersized forward for the sole purpose of his offensive skills. There's always a good chance the scoring doesn't translate, and at that point what else can he bring to earn a roster spot?

If Ehlers falls to us past the top 10, and guys like Virtanen, McCann, and Perlini are taken, then maybe you consider Ehlers. Even then that's a pretty big gamble for a guy who's supposed to be our consolation prize for missing the playoffs.

There is no way in hell I even contemplate taking Virtanen over Ehlers, same with Perlini, and McCann would be like taking another Horvat when there's a Drouin/MacKinnon lite right there.

Jake Virtanen has some tantalizing assets with his size, speed and shot, but his head is not in the right place. He has issues with positioning and work ethic to maintain the puck in the offensive zone and maintain the cycle. Sure with great coaching he can overcome these issues but he has a high risk to bust if he cant adjust. I am a huge fan of his and think that if he can translate his rush play and physical game (remarkable ability to ragdoll dmen with the 'reverse hit') to the NHL and can work on his passing then he will be another Evander Kane.

I'm not a big fan of Perlini. He seems like a player who is worth taking in the teens but in the top ten he carries a risk with him. He is a big body with speed and a shot, but isn't physical. I would much rather take McCann, who has underrated offense while being a very solid defensive forward.

Archived