The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not neccisarily for our pick.

But I'm just wondering what really seperates McCann & Bleackley.

In the U18's I was more impressed with Bleackley, they have similar skill sets.

Bleackley has really been improving offensively, whereas McCann was more highly touted but I feel like he hasn't lived up to expectations coming into the season. Bleackley had been trending upward, whereas McCann didn't go down but kinds stayed stagnent, with some improvement but not at the same rate as Bleackley.

And they ended up both just under PPG.

Do you guys think something like the 6th+Gaunce+Edler would be enough to move up to 1st or second?

Or would it take something like Kesler+6th?

Why in the world would we give the 6th pick and Gaunce and Edler for thre #1 or 2 pick.

None of the top players are true franchise caliber talents. If it were a Mckinnon or a Stamkos type talent then sure but for this years crop the Canucks would be foolish to give up three for one. If Dal Colle falls to us it would be

Edler

Gaunce

Dal Colle

for

Ekblad or Reinhart

That's not a good deal for Van

Dal Colle/Ritchie/Virtannen, one of these players will be there a 6

Why in the world would we give the 6th pick and Gaunce and Edler for thre #1 or 2 pick.None of the top players are true franchise caliber talents. If it were a Mckinnon or a Stamkos type talent then sure but for this years crop the Canucks would be foolish to give up three for one. If Dal Colle falls to us it would beEdlerGaunceDal ColleforEkblad or ReinhartThat's not a good deal for VanDal Colle/Ritchie/Virtannen, one of these players will be there a 6

So an over rated 4/5 D-man, a center who probably won't stick in the nhl+ a highly touted prospect aren't worth a kid who'll make the jump right away and be ready to lead in 3-4 years like a landeskog or stammer?

Stamkos draft year;

61 GP 58G 47A 105P

Reinhart draft year;

60 GP 36G 69A 105P

Might be closer to a franchise player then you think...just because this draft ends at #3 doesn't mean the top 2 aren't gonna be good. imo Canucks fans have a tendency of waaaaaay over-value ing the players and prospects we have here.

So an over rated 4/5 D-man, a center who probably won't stick in the nhl+ a highly touted prospect aren't worth a kid who'll make the jump right away and be ready to lead in 3-4 years like a landeskog or stammer?

Stamkos draft year;

61 GP 58G 47A 105P

Reinhart draft year;

60 GP 36G 69A 105P

Might be closer to a franchise player then you think...just because this draft ends at #3 doesn't mean the top 2 aren't gonna be good. imo Canucks fans have a tendency of waaaaaay over-value ing the players and prospects we have here.

Excuse me? And what makes you think Gaunce won't stick in the NHL? If anything, he looks like he could do very well in the NHL. Ekblad and Reinhart are no more proven than Gaunce or the 6th pick. Good thing you're not the GM.

Pro scouts, who watch him play night-in and night-out, have him in the top 10. Only these "internet" scouts who watches highlights or read about him on how he lacks the physical game, have him in the later teens. As I mentioned, you can always teach someone on how to use his body to better his game, but you can't teach skillset. IMO, he has a better skillset than both Virtanen and Ritchie (better skater, puck handler, passer, and a better shot).

People who knock on Perlini about his inconstancy, yet we could say the same thing about that to Ricthie and Virtanen.

Perlini's point per game average: 1.22

Ritchie's: 1.21

Virtanen's: 1

Ya inconsistency plages alot of players. I see people talk about Drouin/Ehlers like Drouin has alot to do with Ehlers point totals but I question how much of Perlini's success came from playing with Carter Verhaeghe.

For me I just don't see high upside, he's a got a great shot, he's a good skater, a decent two-way player, but nothing elite IMO, more of a perimeter player, doesn't use his size & I think he's a complimentary player at the next level. Could be a good goal scorer, and put up some points, but I don't see upside worthy of a top 10 pick. Not the next Pacioretty.

You compare him to those bigger guys (I think Ritchie is a step above both, I'm not that high on Virtanen at #6 Overall) but aside from those guys when you look at bigger forwards I also have Saskatoon forward Nikita Scherbak ahead of him rather easily to be quite honest.

Does anybody else think Sonny Milano is equal to Ehlers i do and no i dont want him at 6 but he is very talented and NA ta boot.

logo-profiler.jpg

Milano is a skilled winger with good hands who likes to carry the puck and have it on his stick. He has a quick first step as well as good straight line speed and able to use his edges well to elude and evade. He uses finesse puck skills and change of direction to beat defenders. (August 2013)

Thank you for the link and insight. I think Milano is going to be a very good pro but he does not have the breathtaking speed that Ehlers has. Ehlers also likes to attack defenders and can beat them with his stickhandling as well to the outside with his speed. Milano plays with Eichel whereas Ehlers plays on a separate line than Drouin.

Ehlers ranked at 8 is too low as Nylander is going to fall . I also put Ehlers above Ritchie to #6. Hopefully one of the top 5 fall to us , making our pick pretty much unanimous.

Virtanen at #11 is probably not going to happen. I would be surprised if Winnipeg passed him up at #9 . I definitely choose Virtanen over Perlini

If Ehlers as you say, truly the most talented player in this draft then why the hell is not even considered in the top 5?

He's sure as hell faster then all the top 5 (Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennet, Daraitl, Dal Cole) I'm sure he is faster skater then all of them. He's probably stick handler then all of them too, a better passer then all of them. So those teams will Draft Ehlers 1st? and to be honest I do believe he actually has a better "skil set" then Bennet and Reinhart. Better speed too.

Read this

http://2014nhldraft.blogspot.com/2014/04/nikolaj-ehlers-fatal-flaw.html

Thank you for the link and insight. I think Milano is going to be a very good pro but he does not have the breathtaking speed that Ehlers has. Ehlers also likes to attack defenders and can beat them with his stickhandling as well to the outside with his speed. Milano plays with Eichel whereas Ehlers plays on a separate line than Drouin.

Ehlers ranked at 8 is too low as Nylander is going to fall . I also put Ehlers above Ritchie to #6. Hopefully one of the top 5 fall to us , making our pick pretty much unanimous.

Virtanen at #11 is probably not going to happen. I would be surprised if Winnipeg passed him up at #9 . I definitely choose Virtanen over Perlini

I didn't see his post till you quoted it, must have missed it. Interesting question.

I don't agree though, maybe a poor mans version. Though it was a thought I had at one point.

I don't think he's as good defensively, or quite as good a skater (his is still well above average, but Ehlers is among the absolute elite to come along in the last few drafts) & he's not as good defensively.

I also think he's more of a playmaker offensively, not as dynamic in the sense that Ehlers is a better goal scorer than Milano but he also has the playmaking element Milano has. Ehlers is top notch in both. And while having a great shot, I don't think Milano is a top notch goal scorer like Ehlers. And I also think Ehlers is smarter without the puck both offensively & defensively, a really big part of his game that gets looked over too easily IMO.

Milano has bite to his game aswell, both have some grit & toughness. I don't think they have that similar a playing style though, and I don't see his upside as the same as Ehlers.

I still think Milano going to be good. Hes currently ranked #18

Ehlers has hit #5 in another mock draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2027823-2014-nhl-mock-draft-post-lottery-first-round-projections

Virtanen goes at #8 and Ritchie falls back to #13

No way Ritchie doesnt go top 10. What a joke. Id take Dal Colle at 6th though.

I still think Milano going to be good. Hes currently ranked #18

Ehlers has hit #5 in another mock draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2027823-2014-nhl-mock-draft-post-lottery-first-round-projections

Virtanen goes at #8 and Ritchie falls back to #13

Ya I have Milano at #17 myself.

Ehlers at 6.

Ritchie behind him at 7.

Then Virtanen at 11.

Good to see Ehlers getting some more recognition, he really had a great year, I could see a top 5 team grabbing him if they aren't all that high on the player(s) available, like if NYI or CGY don't like Draisaitl or Dal Colle, perhaps Ehlers would be a player one of those teams might have higher

Excuse me? And what makes you think Gaunce won't stick in the NHL? If anything, he looks like he could do very well in the NHL. Ekblad and Reinhart are no more proven than Gaunce or the 6th pick. Good thing you're not the GM.

He has the intelligence but not the speed. Secondly Horvat > Gaunce.

Center depth

Henrik

Kesler

Mathias

Richardson

Shroeder

Do you really see 2 spots opening in the center position, I sure as hell don't I see maybe one & that'll be Where Horvat is. I just don't see him cracking this lineup for at least 2 years. Then he'll be in and out... Kind of like Kyle chipchura potential. Highly touted prospect that plays maybe 30-40 games in the show most season, but ends up in the minors abit.

Brent Sutter said he doubts he(Gaunce) ever plays a reg. season game in the nhl, I suppose you know more than him. A guy I played with got drafted 6th overall and saw less than 20 nhl games in his whole career. Being a first rd prospect does not guarantee success. But I guess you know more than everyone....so I'm just wondering what part of this season should we expect to see Gaunce cantering Daniel and Burrows? 10 games in? 20?

#BetterCenterProspectInNhl

Center depth

Henrik

Kesler

Mathias

Richardson

Shroeder

Do you really see 2 spots opening in the center position, I sure as hell don't I see maybe one & that'll be Where Horvat is. I just don't see him cracking this lineup for at least 2 years. Then he'll be in and out... Kind of like Kyle chipchura potential. Highly touted prospect that plays maybe 30-40 games in the show most season, but ends up in the minors abit.

Brent Sutter said he doubts he(Gaunce) ever plays a reg. season game in the nhl, I suppose you know more than him. A guy I played with got drafted 6th overall and saw less than 20 nhl games in his whole career. Being a first rd prospect does not guarantee success. But I guess you know more than everyone....so I'm just wondering what part of this season should we expect to see Gaunce cantering Daniel and Burrows? 10 games in? 20?

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=8875336 he never said he doubted that he'll play an nhl game.

Center depth

Henrik

Kesler

Mathias

Richardson

Shroeder

Sutter could have used Gaunce in the last worlds, instead of some of the me first guys he had.

Center depth

Henrik

Kesler

Mathias

Richardson

Shroeder

schroeder is done in vancouver, and maybe the nhl.

all of matthias, richardson, horvat and gaunce can play center or wing without any difficulty whatsoever.

I think the best way for D'aquallini to recoup recent heavy losses on the payroll is to exchange some big contracts for some prospect contracts. D'aquallini gets his money back and he also gets a hot ticket to 2015 draft.

I have Ehlers maintaining his spot at 11 and Nylander being picked up by a Canadian team.

1. Florida will shock us by taking Reinhart instead of Ekblad.

2. Buffalo will take Ekblad and will get to work on a Myers trade.

3. Edmonton will take Draisaitl. Too early.

4. Calgary will take big Nick Ritchie WAY too early.

5. The Islanders will pass their pick on to Buffalo, who will select Bennett. Buffalo wins this years' draft.

6. Vancouver will then select Dal Colle or will roll the dice on local boy Virtanen.

7. Carolina will take longtime favorite Kasperi Kapanen.

8. TO will pick up Nylander.

9. Winnipeg will take Perlini.

10. Anaheim will take Virtanen and they won't regret it.

11. Nashville, who has nothing to lose, will roll the dice on Ehlers.

12. Phoenix will take Tuch.

13. Washington will pick up Fleury. Fleury may go sooner though.

14. Dallas will take Larkin.

15. Detroit will take Fabbri.

16. CBJ will take McCann.

I think the consensus pick is that Vancouver needs to trade someone for another top 10 pick.

That way we can somehow manage 2 of

Ritchie/Virtanen/Ehlers/Kapanen/Fleury and one of the top 5 who fall to 6th and then everyone will be happy.

In all honesty that's about as good as we can hope for right now.

Archived