The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No it came up again. Recently in fact.

I'm not interested in your assessment on Virtanen, but even if Virtanen is as 'dumb' a hockey player as you think, that can be coached out of him. What's there regardless is elite speed, decent size, toughness and great shooting. What cannot be coached out a player is a spoiled brat attitude and general softness, such as what Nylander seems to have, combined with ho-hum variety flash.

Perlini is alright, but so is Sonny Milano and various other prospects generally not being discussed at 6th.

I would like to see 2 reports of Nylander's attitude.

Elite speed .... decent size yes, toughness, yes and great shooting, arguably. Hockey sense isn't easy to teach as you make it seem to be, Jonathan Toews didn't learn how to be a smart player when he was in junior, he grew with the skill since he was very young so no it isn't teachable. Nylander is a better offensive player weather you like it or not, he can skate alot better than Virtanen so how does Virtanen have elite speed if Nylander is miles better? His offensive instincts are off the charts, his vision is great. Really his whole offensive game is an A.

Your so called brat attitude and general softness that Nylander has can be interpreted in different ways, one for a negative person like you or a positive person.

Also, Coho's dad was never a NHL player, Nylander's dad was. Nylander's dad would never let his son act this way and become a total distraction for the team. He knows better than to allow his son to do this kind of stuff, especially if he wants him to become a NHL player. For once, just think about what I'm saying.

Since you seem very knowledgeable, tell me the difference between Sonny Milano, Alex Tuch, Brendan Perlini, Jake Virtanen are in a short description.

I'm going to take a minute to summarize what I generally see in this thread when I look in it:

1. "Draft Nylander!"
  2. "Don't draft Nylander, he looks like a girl and is soft"
  3. "Draft Ehlers!"
  4. "Don't draft Ehlers, he's soft and only good because of Drouin"
  5. "Draft Ritchie!"
  6. "Don't draft Ritchie, he's chunky and dominating little boys with his size"
  7. "Draft Virtanen!"
  8. "Don't draft Virtanen, he's stupid on the ice and he's pretty much David Booth"
  9. Obligatory post from Merci, ruining another pair of his underwear thinking about Ritchies size
  10. BanTSN making incredibly intelligent posts about how girly Nylander looks.

Rinse and repeat.

Best post tonight. +1 :lol:

Trade down and take milano.

Wouldn't mind this, the kids in the USHL are so underrated that I hate it since we won't be able to pick them. Tuch, Milano, Larkin, Schmaltz will all be beasts in the NHL.

They win the U18s like all the team too, these guys are good.

Looking forward to the combine next week, hopefully it will answer some questions about these players.

I still can't decide who I would take at 6....

Me too but I dont think it will change much. This draft is probably as convoluted or even more so than the 2012 draft.

We probably will see Ekbland or Reinhart go 1st overall. After that............. :frantic:

Wouldn't mind this, the kids in the USHL are so underrated that I hate it since we won't be able to pick them. Tuch, Milano, Larkin, Schmaltz will all be beasts in the NHL.

They win the U18s like all the team too, these guys are good.

I agree they dont get the love they deserve. If i had my way there would be an american division in the 'CHL'. Perhaps 2.

None of those players have the Coho daddy issues that the Canucks should very well have learned to avoid. Oh, and they're all very much more skilled than Nylanders. Even in the cherry-picked highlight video above I see nothing to get all excited about.

Malkin, btw, concussed Willie Mitchell and put his career in jeopardy. Soft?

I got a feeling Cody Hodgson goes on to put up more points than Jake Virtanen when all is said and done.

I'm going to take a minute to summarize what I generally see in this thread when I look in it:

1. "Draft Nylander!"
  2. "Don't draft Nylander, he looks like a girl and is soft"
  3. "Draft Ehlers!"
  4. "Don't draft Ehlers, he's soft and only good because of Drouin"
  5. "Draft Ritchie!"
  6. "Don't draft Ritchie, he's chunky and dominating little boys with his size"
  7. "Draft Virtanen!"
  8. "Don't draft Virtanen, he's stupid on the ice and he's pretty much David Booth"
  9. Obligatory post from Merci, ruining another pair of his underwear thinking about Ritchies size
  10. BanTSN making incredibly intelligent posts about how girly Nylander looks.

Rinse and repeat.

This is the best post I have seen.

Benning wants a tougher team, that was what he said in his interview, not fighters but grittier players who can play with the big boys when going gets tough.

So it seems Ritchie will be the pick, maybe Virtanen but I am thinking Ritchie is the prototype he is looking for.

You dont draft 'grittier' guys that high in the top 10. I cant even remember the last time someone passed up elite speed and skill to get 'grittier' that high in the draft.

Benning specifically stated he wanted speed and skill in the top 6 , size and grit on the bottom two lines. No doubt he will get the scouts to hunt for gems in the later rounds. Benning found Lucic in the second round. I agree that should be the emphasis to get guys who can play a hard game so it leaves the real players to score goals. Its a team game.You need the big bodies to protect the true assets.

We got Sestito who like Ritchie has upside as well as his agitating /gooning abilities. Mattias looks like could push for the top 6 and of course we already have Kassian.

Matthias is 6ft 4 and 230 pounds . He too put up 38 goals and 74 points while in junior. Ritchie probably hero worships him a bit. They have a lot in common.

Canucks have size. We need grit to make it tougher to play against . We need our power players to use that size.

Obviously Benning is going to take a Nylander , that goes without saying. But then we can probably seek an agitator later on. In fact, Benning has a track record of drafting skill high and looking for big enthusiastic players who dont necessary need to think to much in the later rounds.

:)

Archived