The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I honestly just can't wait until after the draft so Merci and Absent will be able to sound off about something else.

Lindens already been interviewed and has stated he's excited about the prospect of adding a big winger at #6. And Benning has also said they're going to talk to the scouts about getting bigger. But obviously this is just me spinning what they said into what I wanted, since we're obviously going to draft Nylander or Ehlers because Benning actually said he likes talent and skill in the top 6... God I hate this thread and yet somehow I can't leave!!

I honestly just can't wait until after the draft so Merci and Absent will be able to sound off about something else.

Lindens already been interviewed and has stated he's excited about the prospect of adding a big winger at #6. And Benning has also said they're going to talk to the scouts about getting bigger. But obviously this is just me spinning what they said into what I wanted, since we're obviously going to draft Nylander or Ehlers because Benning actually said he likes talent and skill in the top 6... God I hate this thread and yet somehow I can't leave!!

I wonder if Linden mind might change after the scouts meetings that they haven't had yet?.....

So of the eligible players at 6. How many will make the jump next year, how many need a year more in junior? And how many will need junior and AHL seasoning?

I think pretty much everyone available at sixth is going to need seasoning before they're able to compete at the NHL level. I think Ritchie would probably be the most likely due to his size, but it would probably be horrible for his development and I'm not sure if his conditioning would be good enough to take a regular NHL shift.

I can't see Ehlers, Nylander, or Virtanen making the jump right away either. This draft is very weird to me. While it seems relatively weak in high end talents, it seems to be fairly deep in projects that could be really nice players after a few years of development.

I wonder if Linden mind might change after the scouts meetings that they haven't had yet?.....

I was mostly poking fun about how everyone's argument is now turning into a contest about accusing the other of only reading into what they want to read from what's been said. And both sides are doing it.

Personally I believe they'll take either a top 5 faller or one of Virtanen/Ritchie. But I'd be just as happy with Ehlers or whoever they pick. They all have pros and con's.

I think pretty much everyone available at sixth is going to need seasoning before they're able to compete at the NHL level. I think Ritchie would probably be the most likely due to his size, but it would probably be horrible for his development and I'm not sure if his conditioning would be good enough to take a regular NHL shift.

I can't see Ehlers, Nylander, or Virtanen making the jump right away either. This draft is very weird to me. While it seems relatively weak in high end talents, it seems to be fairly deep in projects that could be really nice players after a few years of development.

I agree with everything you've said here. If we do end up with Ritchie unless he earns a spot out of camp there's no way I'd think of keeping him up next year. Send him down, give him a game plan, and make him hungry. Should be the strategy with every pick past maybe the top 3 in almost any draft.

In Ritchie's case unless he really steals a spot in camp one more year of offensive development and physical conditioning would be ideal for him.

I agree with everything you've said here. If we do end up with Ritchie unless he earns a spot out of camp there's no way I'd think of keeping him up next year. Send him down, give him a game plan, and make him hungry. Should be the strategy with every pick past maybe the top 3 in almost any draft.

In Ritchie's case unless he really steals a spot in camp one more year of offensive development and physical conditioning would be ideal for him.

I think some people might be surprised at how long it would take to get Ritchie NHL ready. Powerforwards like him are an interesting situation when you take them. On one hand, you have the potential for the type of package that you can't teach. You can't make players bigger, and the potential to have a high skilled BIG kid is definitely intriguing.

On the other hand, powerforwards seem to develop a lot like defensemen. It takes longer, and there seems to be a bigger potential for them to not work out. Kassian is 23 and just starting to figure it out. It took Bertuzzi a while to put his complete game together also.

Powerforwards seem to be pretty enigmatic.

I was mostly poking fun about how everyone's argument is now turning into a contest about accusing the other of only reading into what they want to read from what's been said. And both sides are doing it.

Personally I believe they'll take either a top 5 faller or one of Virtanen/Ritchie. But I'd be just as happy with Ehlers or whoever they pick. They all have pros and con's.

Here is a guy who uses common sense. +1 :)

I am happy with Ehlers, Nylander or Ritchie. I feel these three are better prospects than Virtanen is at #6. I still want to get another pick and get Virtanen at #10.

The rush to parse Bennings words and read into it what they want to believe is ridiculous. No doubt about it. I admit , I am having fun with it at this point. So what? It would be funny if it werent so sad.

Do these guys really believe Benning or Linden are going to announce who they want to draft? Unless you are drafting 1st overall, tipping your hand is self defeating. Its not happening.

I'm going to take a minute to summarize what I generally see in this thread when I look in it:

1. "Draft Nylander!"
  2. "Don't draft Nylander, he looks like a girl and is soft"
  3. "Draft Ehlers!"
  4. "Don't draft Ehlers, he's soft and only good because of Drouin"
  5. "Draft Ritchie!"
  6. "Don't draft Ritchie, he's chunky and dominating little boys with his size"
  7. "Draft Virtanen!"
  8. "Don't draft Virtanen, he's stupid on the ice and he's pretty much David Booth"
  9. Obligatory post from Merci, ruining another pair of his underwear thinking about Ritchies size
  10. BanTSN making incredibly intelligent posts about how girly Nylander looks.

Rinse and repeat.

Thats incredible. +1

Craig Button noted this and I agree: Player interviews at the combined aren't important.

Listening to the TSN Draft podcast Craig Button had some interest things to say regarding the interview portion. He said the quick 20 minute interviews the players get to have with teams aren't as important as some people think. 20 minutes is hardly any time at all when truly trying to find out what makes a player tick. Add that to the fact that the players are flustered and running room to room and it's not as beneficial as some people think.

That's in his view, at least.

So when players have 'bad combine interviews' and that's used as a reason to pass on him, well, that's horsecrap. There has to be another reason to pass on him. Same thing with 'good combine interviews' as well. A good interview should not sway a team's decision. In 20 minutes you're going to learn jack squat about the player.

Craig Button noted this and I agree: Player interviews at the combined aren't important.

So when players have 'bad combine interviews' and that's used as a reason to pass on him, well, that's horsecrap. There has to be another reason to pass on him. Same thing with 'good combine interviews' as well. A good interview should not sway a team's decision. In 20 minutes you're going to learn jack squat about the player.

So why do you think they even do it if it has no import at all?

I really don't understand why people think Nylander could be a top 6 pick. He is undersized and struggles with defense. I know it is a weak draft but, in the past 20 drafts only 2 European Skaters under 6'0" have been a top 12 pick.

Mikael Granlund is one of them who is the other?

I would say there is a chance but Draisaitl or MDC are more likely to fall to us

I can't see NYI or Calgary passing on Bennett

just seen him on the mem. cup panel interview. kid looks composed and already hungry for a chance to compete for the cup.

I am impressed

Archived