The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Remarkable what a combine can do isn't it?

A day in a gym and another day in an interview and omg it's the next Forsberg

I still need to see what Nylander does in the NA markets and at contract time before I am sold on him ;)

Im not going to lie im a lot less shy on Nylander then I was before the combine. Hes either really dedicated to score so high or else hes a genetic freak. Either way he might actually be the best pick at 6th. Even better someone takes him in the top 5 id be so happy. More options the better I say.

I see those same elements in Ehlers.

And I don't think its out of question for either player that they could become that.

Slice it whichever way you want, a speed skill player is having success on a potential Stanley Cup Winner, you don't need everyone to be PWF's & tough guys to win.

Jensen is a big guy, I don't see him as that. And Ehlers isn't soft.

If anything, I see our PWF/size element covered with guys like Gaunce, Kassian, Matthias, Horvat, exc. While we severely lack in the high end skill.

Jemsen is our most elusive player and can snipe how is that not like nylander and ehlers.

Gaunce and horvat are not power forward wingers like ritchie will be. And kassian and him are perfect line mates.

Try again

Its a team sport.

Toews lost, Jordan Nolan won.

Florida and Buffalo should pass on Reinhart & Bennett, and take some tough guys instead right?

The big bad LA kings who are lead in playoff goal scoring by the big bad Marian Gaborik.

Marion Gaborik who's done pretty much nothing his entire playoff career, is currently in a situation on a team which is considered a big physical team. More or less he can pretty much thank the L.A Kings for his success right now, although one can argue his playoff stat right now. He's scored some very big goals some timely goals, but the L.A Kings as a whole is a team that can wear another playoff team down, by their hard physical play.

Another argument can easily point out...

the 2011 Stanley cup winner. A big physcial team that wore down the Stanley cup finalist

the 2012 Stanley cup winner. A big physical team that wore down the Stanley cup finalists.

the 2013 Stanley cup Runner up. A big physical team that almost won their second Stanley cup in 2 years.

one of the 2 2014 Stanley cup finalists for the second time in 2 years.

L.A and Boston Bruins, LA Kings considered the Western Conference Boston Bruins. have made it to the finals each of the past 4 years. You can Argue well the Blackhawks won it last year. Yes they did But the Boston Bruins also made it to the finals.

The thing is we have to look at the big picture. If we keep drafting undersized players such as him, Shinkaruk, and if Bennining really wants to put together a big and physical team, he will never achieve that by drafting guys like Ehlers. Who knows how long Ehlers will occupy a top 6 spot?

And why the hell are we now comparing Nikolah Ehlers to Marion Gabork?????!!!!

Marion Gabork 6'1 204

Jake Virtannen 6'1 210

Ehlers 5'10.5 162.

I'm going kindly list a name of players Ehlers, have been compared too now.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares.

6 Marion Gaborik is the newest edition of players Ehlers supporters have compared too.

Nikolah Ehlers is officially the most overrated non drafted Canucks prospects in Canucks.com/forums history.

Marion Gaborik who's done pretty much nothing his entire playoff career, is currently in a situation on a team which is considered a big physical team. More or less he can pretty much thank the L.A Kings for his success right now, although one can argue his playoff stat right now. He's scored some very big goals some timely goals, but the L.A Kings as a whole is a team that can wear another playoff team down, by their hard physical play.

the 2011 Stanley cup winner. A big physcial team that wore down the Stanley cup finalist

the 2012 Stanley cup winner. A big physical team that wore down the Stanley cup finalists.

the 2013 Stanley cup Runner up. A big physical team that almost won their second Stanley cup in 2 years.

L.A and Boston Bruins, LA Kings considered the Western Conference Boston Bruins. have made it to the finals each of the past 4 years. You can Argue well the Blackhawks won it last year. Yes they did But the Boston Bruins also made it to the finals.

The thing is we have to look at the big picture. If we keep drafting undersized players such as him, Shinkaruk, and if Bennining really wants to put together a big and physical team, he will never achieve that by drafting guys like Ehlers. Who knows how long Ehlers will occupy a top 6 spot?

Marion Gabork 6'1 204

Jake Virtannen 6'1 210

Ehlers 5'10.5 162.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares.

6 Marion Gaborik is the newest edition of players Ehlers supporters have compared too.

Nikolah Ehlers is officially the most overrated non drafted Canucks prospects in Canucks.com/forums history.

Wow surgically wrecked nylander groupies

I am thinking about Marion Gaborik. The guy has 12 freaking goals this playoff. What an addition. Hes also one of the softest guys in the league.

You realize the Canucks never interviewed Ritchie. 64 guys and not one was Nick Ritchie.

How is that possible? You have a source that says they didnt?

Marion Gabork 6'1 204

Jake Virtannen 6'1 210

Ehlers 5'10.5 162.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares.

Great post

Jemsen is our most elusive player and can snipe how is that not like nylander and ehlers.

Gaunce and horvat are not power forward wingers like ritchie will be. And kassian and him are perfect line mates.

Try again

They don't need to be PWF's, they are players with size who play a heavy game.

I'll take a Horvat or Gaunce, who can play in that style of game, over a Mike McCarron, who yes he's a PWF, but is he going to help you win like a Horvat or Gaunce would?

Jensen is 6'3, he's a trigger man, pure scorer, Nylander & Ehlers are different, it seems obvious to me, both in size & how they play.

They don't need to be PWF's, they are players with size who play a heavy game.

I'll take a Horvat or Gaunce, who can play in that style of game, over a Mike McCarron, who yes he's a PWF, but is he going to help you win like a Horvat or Gaunce would?

Jensen is 6'3, he's a trigger man, pure scorer, Nylander & Ehlers are different, it seems obvious to me, both in size & how they play.

In jensens short games here hes weved hia way thru players like it was nothing. Finding the open ice to sniper a wrister

As well hia apeed creates lots of breakaways all in the big body u keep saying defines his playstyle

Iam super interestes in how ehlers and nylander are superior to this

After seeing tonight's Game of Thrones, it's pretty clear the Canucks need to take someone with size like The Mountain, as opposed to being quick and skilled like The Red Viper.

Could you imagine if the Canucks had someone who could crush a man's head with his bare hands?

That's what I thought. Ritchie and Virtanen are far closer to The Mountain than Ehlers/Nylander will ever be, in fact their dancing around only serves to delay the inevitable bone crushing hit to their heads.

RIP Nylander.

Marion Gabork 6'1 204

Jake Virtannen 6'1 210

Ehlers 5'10.5 162.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares.

This entire big team thing is overblown. Boston didn't beat us because they were percieved to be the tougher team, if that's the case why didn't they beat MTL this year?

And aside from Lucic, who in Boston's top 6 is big & tough, Horton maybe, but he was out for the series, do players like Ryder, Recchi, a rookie Tyler Seguin, Dave Krejci, come across as big tough physical players to you? They don't to me. They beat us because of our injures (the key ones I'm referring too happened before the finals), because of the goaltending, and because they were allowed to cross the line.

LA didn't beat NJ cause they wore them down, they beat NJ because they were flat out a better team. And there goalie was lights out.

Boston losing last year doesn't help your theory at all, look who beat them, Conn Smythe winner, 5'10 Patrick Kane & the offensive, uptempo, Chicago Blackhawks. The same team that was a lucky bounce away from being back in the finals and possibly winning.

Way to pain with a broad brush, I haven't really been comparing Ehlers to any of those players aside from bringing up the Gaborik comparisons.

Archived