The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Looks like Couturier may be off the table. I don't know about you guys but I'm really liking the sounds of Wennberg, 1st(2014), and one of Dubinsky/Jenner for Kes.

Wennrberg has almost identical stats as Jensen did in the SHL but playing on a pretty decent Frolunda team compared to AIK last year. Wennberg, Jenner, and a first 2015 would be pretty good return offensively. Both project as 2line ceilings though, I would like to see a first line prospect in the mix.

IN all honesty if LuLu can provide a basis of proof for anything that they've claimed I will be happy to apologize and retract anything I have said that has been offensive.

but honestly, until then it is lower than eklund to post things of this nature

i really meant no harm .. i apologize if i broke forum rules .. I was just trying to share info with you guys .. Its a difficult position .. i would love to tell you the source .. of coarse i can't .. i will just try to be more careful about how i share the info i know .. sorry for creating the controversy .. i enjoy talking with you folks and sharing knowledge .. i dont want anyone to compare me to eklund .....

Luongo doesn't get the Heritage Classic start and there's rumblings about him on the move. Feels like the twilight zone around here :(

One reason i could see sitting Lu from the HC could be to get under his skin and maybe open him up to a few more teams that he might have refused in the past, or it could be nothing or he has a sore groin but whatever i can wait till the deadline to find out.

A proposed deal would send Kesler to the Penguins in exchange for center Brandon Sutter, two 2014 draft picks — likely a first- and third-round — and the Canucks' choice of defensemen Simon Despres or Brian Dumoulin, the sources said.

If true I will personally burn MG at the stake.

Very interesting.

If true, I hope we manage to either get Pouliot instead of the other 2 Dmen or make it two firsts.

CHICAGO — The Penguins know which player they want to acquire before the NHL trade deadline Wednesday.

Vancouver center Ryan Kesler is being pursued aggressively by Penguins general manager Ray Shero, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review on Saturday.

A proposed deal would send Kesler to the Penguins in exchange for center Brandon Sutter, two 2014 draft picks — likely a first- and third-round — and the Canucks' choice of defensemen Simon Despres or Brian Dumoulin, the sources said.

It is possible the deal could involve another Canucks and Penguins player, but Shero was looking only to acquire Kesler, the sources said.

The trade deadline is 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Shero has made at least one move in the month advancing or at the deadline in six of seven previous seasons. Last season he acquired wingers Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow and Jussi Jokinen and defenseman Douglas Murray before the trade deadline.

Only Jokinen remains. Shero would prefer not to add players on expiring contracts before this year's deadline, the sources said.

Shero first inquired with Vancouver about Kesler in January prior to defenseman Kris Letang's stroke, the sources said. The Canucks since have heavily scouted Despres, a 2009 first-round pick, the sources said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5686336-74/penguins-kesler-sources#ixzz2ullwsle8

Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Totally agree. You want a premier top 6 forward who will help you win games? Then pay up. Its like when cdc all wanted Weber and were offering Ballard, Raymond and a 1st.

Basically, yap. You want Kesler, then you pay the price. If not, you don't get him. That may also mean Canucks don't trade him now, or in the summer. I'm fine with that. You don't, repeat don't, trade a player like him for something that does not help your team - now and in the future. Period.

I won't be surprised if more players want out. This organization is a complete mess right now, and the rebuilding must begin. Management should be responsible for most of the blame for the terrible product on the ice. Fans are disinterested and have largely tuned out this team.

MG is not the man to lead a rebuild. This organization will not improve as long as he stays on.

It's hard to pinpoint where the main issues began. I would say Acquilini is the main issue, both with the Luongo drama and Torts hiring. But I think MG and the players have a hand in the blame. It seems like there's A LOT more going on behind the scenes than we know about.

This is where i'd do a conference call with Shero and Holmgren, tell Shero to keep quiet and Holmgren give you his best pitch. Ask him to hold and then ask Shero if he could meet or beat it.

And then ask Holmgren how he feels about having to try shutting down Malkin, Crosby, Kesler, Neal, Jokinnen etc....yikes

Ha ha. I'd like to be a fly on the wall there. Not sure many teams in the East want to face a Pitts team with Kes on it. However, as a Canucks fan - I want nothing to do with Sutter, so I pray to hockey gods Pitts doesn't get him.

Ughh. Sutter, Despres, a late 1st and a 3rd?

If that's the deal, as much as Gillis supporter as I am, then he should be immediately fired.

Sutter is a hard-working player, but he's also a 30-35 point 3rd line C. That's not a piece that is going to help the reset majorly. If Despres becomes something better, then a deal might work out.

Ray Shero always gets his guy at the trade deadline:

Shero's late-season trades

Here's a look at the work done by Shero and his supporting team in the last months of the regular season since he came to Pittsburgh.

The sports cable nets can hype "deadline day," but for these purposes it's a look at deals made after January of each season.

We pick up the narrative in 2007-08, as Shero and the Pens made no major moves the previous season, which ended with a first round loss to Ottawa.

2007-08

Result: Penguins lose in Stanley Cup final to Detroit.

Trades Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a first-round pick in 2008 to Atlanta for Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis.

Considering how much the Penguins gave up in volume, this couldn't have gone much better. Sure, Hossa spurned the Pens for an offer from Detroit as a free agent in the summer, but he racked up 12 goals and 14 assists for Pittsburgh as they made it to the Stanley Cup final. More importantly, Dupuis is still around, having scored 89 regular-season goals with Pittsburgh while providing speed and solid defensive play.

The other side of the ledger: Armstrong was decent for a couple of years with Atlanta but Christensen lasted only 57 games with the Thrashers before moving on. Esposito couldn't escape serious injury, and the first-round pick, Daultan Leveille, is just starting his minor pro career after tearing knee ligaments while at Michigan State.

2008-09

Result: Penguins beat Detroit in Stanley Cup final.

Fires Michel Therrien, promotes AHL coach Dan Bylsma.

The popular Bylsma is still coaching the team.

Trades Ryan Whitney to Anaheim for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi.

Whitney held great promise but was made expendable with the return of Sergei Gonchar from a serious injury and the continued development of Kris Letang. Whitney was gone to Edmonton after just 95 games spread over two seasons with the Ducks.

The trade just keeps on giving. Kunitz was a good secondary scorer to begin with, but has taken his game into overdrive this season thanks to linemate Sidney Crosby, compiling 19 goals and 23 assists in 34 games.

Trades a conditional pick to the New York Islanders for Bill Guerin.

Guerin got another Cup after a solid spring (7 goals, 8 assists) and played an additional season with Pittsburgh while the Isles repackaged the pick and it ended up with Phoenix (the player is goalie Mike Lee, currently in the AHL).

Picks up Craig Adams off waivers.

Adams played every game in the Stanley Cup run and has missed less than a handful of games since, providing the Pens with energy and penalty-kiling skill.

2009-10

Result: Penguins beat Senators 4-2 in first round, lose to Canadiens 4-3 in second round.

Trades with Toronto for forward Alex Ponikarovsky, giving up Luca Caputi and Martin Skoula.

Ponikarovsky averaged 20 goals with the Leafs but managed just three in 27 games before signing a contract with Los Angeles. But the cost ended up being negligible, as prospect Caputi didn't pan out.

Trades second-round pick to Florida for defenceman Jordan Leopold.

Leopold, like Ponikarovsky, moved on after fewer than 30 games, to a contract with Buffalo. The Panthers with the pick selected Connor Brickley, still playing NCAA hockey this season.

2010-11

Result: Penguins lose to Lightning 4-3 in first round.

Trades to Ottawa for Alex Kovalev for a seventh-round pick.

The move costed a song, and the results reflect that fact. Kovalev had three goals and six assists in 27 games before moving on.

Trades Alex Goligoski to Dallas for forward James Neal, defenceman Matt Niskanen.

Neal could not get it going in the year that he was acquired — just two goals in 27 games, although one was an OT winner — but he's forged chemistry with Evgeni Malkin since last season. Neal has 57 goals in his last 114 regular-season games and was given a contract extension.

Niskanen has been a depth defenceman for Pittsburgh, while Goligoski has not taken his game to another level in Dallas. Just a complete win for the Penguins.

2011-12

Result: Penguins lose to Flyers 4-2 in first round.

No major moves made by Shero.

2012-13

Despite an impressive win streak — 13 games as of March 28 — Shero shakes things up by acquiring forward Brenden Morrow (Dallas), defenceman Doug Murray (San Jose) and career-long Calgary Flame Jarome Iginla.

The cost: prospects Joseph Morrow, Ben Hanowski, Kenneth Agostino, three draft picks in this June's draft (first, third and fifth rounds), and a second-round pick in 2014.

In previous weeks, Pittsburgh gained a seventh rounder in 2013 and a fifth rounder in 2014 by sending Tangradi to Winnipeg and Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim.

It may look one-sided on paper, but it's important to point out that the trio of veterans Pittsburgh acquired are all unrestricted free agents this summer.

It remains to be seen if we will look back at these deals as another coup for Shero. We will know as early as June as the Penguins gun for a fourth Stanley Cup for the franchise.

If Gillis even 'thought' about accepting that trade from Pitts. He's be run out of town. A scrub centreman, d-man who couldn't even crack the current roster, essentially a 2nd and 4th round pick (cause they'll go far in playoffs)? Ya. It's a no brainer.

Here's what the deal would look like:

Kesler for

4C

Depth d-man

2nd and 4th round picks

Lol. I'd hang up the phone.

Archived