The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Heritage Classic] Ottawa @ Vancouver | 03/02/14 |

Drouin

Did you watch those games?

He did everything he could but score for the Canucks.

I can't remember one soft goal he's let in in his last 5 starts.

If he saved that one on Minny's PP we would have won the game.

Then I would say he is "hot".

But ding ding ding - I agree with you - he did everything he could but score, same as Luongo.

buddy i have nothing against Lu and i never said hes playing terrible but facts are facts now we are in a tight stretch and since the start of january Lack has been playing better, Lu hasnt been terrible, but he hasnt been stellar and lack in many games has been 1 goal against losses and shutouts ect to Lus current streak of 3+ goals against in his last 6 games.... and you talked about pucks bouncing in off our D and stuff ,alot of that couldve been combated by better rebound control which right now Lack is absorbing damn near everything.. .. lack had to face the hardest stretch of our schedule while Lu sat out hurt....if you want to really look at whos been better since the start of january.... here we go

Eddie lack GP 11 GA 24 GAA 2.1 those games included starts against....in order TBL,ANA,PIT,STL,LAK,ANA,PHX,WPG,DET,STL,MIN

Luongo GP 10 GA 28 GAA 2.8 those games included starts against in order

LA,CGY,EDM,NSH,PHX,EDM,CHI,BOS,MTL,TOR

collectively lack played the better opponents 9 of 11 games vs teams currently in a playoff spot.... Luongo only 5 of 10 games were vs playoff teams...

and yes both goalies are doing their best with a struggling team in front of them.....lack is just doing a better job... and clearly the guy with the stanley cup ring and get paid millions also agrees. but i guess the coaching staff isn't paying attention too right?

I'm not arguing that Lack is playing well. But anyone paying attention knows that the goalies on this team do NOT get an easier ride against weaker opponents. For years, this team more often than not gets up for the big teams and plays down to the lower teams. How many games have we lost to teams we should be able to beat regardless of who was in net? It's all a part of the team's mentality problems. (Some here may even remember my rather long posts last season pointing out that both Luo's and Schneider's stats tended to be their lowest when we played the supposedly easiest teams because the team played down to that level.)

As for comparing January and February....

I get using the easy goals/games GAA method is convenient (and I often like to use it myself) but it's not actually accurate as it doesn't take into account time on ice. Had both goalies completed every game they started I would agree it's accurate enough, but that's not the case here as Lack was pulled in the Anaheim game, which is very likely the only reason he wasn't scored against more in that game, especially since 6 more goals were scored against Vancouver. (BTW, I'd also agree that game wasn't Lack's fault, or even Eriksson's, but then the team's play effecting the goalie's stats is my entire point...)

You also need to look a little more closely at the dates and remember that Torts was suspended from January 19-February 2. Even if it's convenient for your argument, you can't just gloss over the head coach's suspension like it doesn't matter or didn't effect the team dramatically. Anyone who watched those games knows differently. As did Torts, who said upon his return (in his Feb 3 presser) things like how he wanted to "get us growing together again to be a competitive team because right now we're not." and "We have forgotten how to defend. No matter what's going wrong with your team offensively, to have any chance of winning you need to defend and we're not defending. And we have. I've seen this team defend and play the right way. I just don't think we've playing the right way." Compare that to Tort's comments from his presser today when he said, "I think we've played really well the last 2 games." and "We have to stay sound defensively, which I'm very happy with in the past couple of games."

Lack only started the final game of Tort's suspension and gave up 4 goals. Luo started the other 5 games, giving up 1, 2, 4, 3 & 4 goals respectively. That seems pretty consistent when taken in full context of how the team's play was deteriorating. Just because Luo had more of those games and therefore suffered through the team's play more doesn't mean he was playing worse than Lack. It's just shortsighted to put the blame for those bad games on Luo (or Lack.)

After Tort's return, Lack got that first game and did play well. (He gave up a soft one, but then shut it down and didn't give up anymore.) Luo played the next 3 and played well (despite giving up a weak one in Boston, but still making 29 saves in that game) but the team's play was inconsistent at best. If you watched those games, you know that. Funny how people look only at the stats and don't remember all of the great saves Luo was making during those games, keeping his team in it and keeping those games from being blowouts.

Comparing those games before the Olympic break to the 2 since is like comparing apples and oranges. We don't need another unnecessary goalie controversy that's making this team look bad with fans, the media and other players alike. What we do need is a team who can play like the same kind of metaphorical fruit game in and game out. If all the pears in your fruit basket are rotten, simply replacing a fresher apple for a ripe orange isn't going to change anything.

If they close the roof, they won't have to worry about delays and constant clearing of the ice. It's just logical.

umm then why not have it 'inside' - the whole purpose of this series is to play outside sir, in an environment like kids do out east when growing up

wow

:picard:

1. Luongo gets slapped in the face, as Lack gets the start.

2. Apparently now if it snow's the roof will be closed.

3. It is a game against the Ottawa Senators.

I am so happy I did not waste money on these overpriced tickets.

1. Luongo gets slapped in the face, as Lack gets the start.

2. Apparently now if it snow's the roof will be closed.

3. It is a game against the Ottawa Senators.

I am so happy I did not waste money on these overpriced tickets.

you forgot to clarify 2

its an 'outdoor' game with the roof closed if it snows....lol

BTW, for those interested, I found an article on the Vancouver Sun that gives a far more complete quote from Luo regarding his "I don't want to go through this again" statement that the Twitter reports took out of context.

“I'm just here to play, man. I don't want to start going through this whole thing again. When I'm on the ice, I give 100 per cent and try to be the best I can be. The rest is out of my control. So I'm not going to start putting myself in the spot like that again. Whatever happens from here on in, I'm just going to battle. If it's me, it's me. If it's not, it's not. That's the way I'm going to approach it. I'm going to battle and work hard every day and come to work.”

"Let's see how this saga turns out. Maybe a reporter can ask Kesler what HE thinks. "

LMAO!!! well put my friend! 35 years as a fan but this managment of the team lately testing if I should cheer for them under current management........... Sell the team Aquabum family and maybe get an owner who will fire Front office idots who manage/coach like this. NOT a game.. a SHOW...LooUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU should play

Archived