The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

some other Florida fans

"

That idiot Pierre McGuire is saying that the Cats never gave Markstrom a chance to develop!!!???? How is 4 years not enough?? Good riddance. Vancouver will be all over Marky when he lets in those shots over the shoulder every game. "

Florida has fans?

I don't like this trade. Sure we got younger but we gave up a number 1 goalie for an AHL backup and a 4th line center.

disappointing to see such things said in the name of such a wonderful fruit.

Who is Markstrom backing up in the AHL?

Which NHL fourth liner scored 14 goals in 48 games?

Luongo should have been traded long ago. He was great in his time here and will be remembered as one of the best goalies, if not the best goalie, in franchise history (until someone supplants him).

Looking ONLY at the the current circumstances, I don't mind the return that the Canucks got for Lu. If his contract was truly near impossible to move, I like this deal better than Toronto's offer of Scrivens and their 1st last year. Markstrom is younger and has more potential than Scrivens. Matthias potentially solves the Canucks' need for a 3rd line center or, at the very least, a big body who can skate and who has some offensive upside. If the Canucks buy-out Booth, Matthias could serve as the 3rd line LWer if they decide not to play him at center.

Looking at the deal in the grand scheme of things however, despite having a gem like Horvat, the return from Schneider and Lu seems like such a waste.

Yeah mama, I'm more than pleased with this deal.

I'd be interested in hearing what bonafide goal scorer to two you were expecting as a return in a Luongo deal.

Btw Matthias had 14 goals in 48 games last year playing tweener minutes - that translates to a 24 goal season over 82. Not bad for a 'fourth liner'.

too bad he has 9 goals in 59 games this season.

Luongo should have been traded long ago. He was great in his time here and will be remembered as one of the best goalies, if not the best goalie, in franchise history (until someone supplants him).

Looking ONLY at the the current circumstances, I don't mind the return that the Canucks got for Lu. If his contract was truly near impossible to move, I like this deal better than Toronto's offer of Scrivens and their 1st last year. Markstrom is younger and has more potential than Scrivens. Matthias potentially solves the Canucks' need for a 3rd line center or, at the very least, a big body who can skate and who has some offensive upside. If the Canucks buy-out Booth, Matthias could serve as the 3rd line LWer if they decide not to play him at center.

Looking at the deal in the grand scheme of things however, despite having a gem like Horvat, the return from Schneider and Lu seems like such a waste.

Too early to tell.

We weren't happy with the return for Linden, Bure or Mogilny.

All added solid pieces for the future. None of those trades were busts. THIS is the process.

It is good that Lu finally gets to move on and regain his rightful spot as a No.1 goaltender.

Despite taking it on the chin from the local media and certain parts of the fan base, Lu managed to hold his head high and was always loyal to the team and his fellow players. Good luck Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

It is good that Lu finally gets to move on and regain his rightful spot as a No.1 goaltender.

Despite taking it on the chin from the local media and certain parts of the fan base, Lu managed to hold his head high and was always loyal to the team and his fellow players. Good luck Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

I appreciate what Lu did for us, but whats this talk of 'rightful spot'? Just because of his age? Or his contract? He was outplayed by Schneider, and management liked enough about what they had with Lack to ship him out. Nothing should just be handed to him. This fan base is far too loyal to players, you need to be more cut throat or you turn into the Calgary Flames who held onto their old core for 3 years too long. All successful franchises from the Pittsburgh Steelers to Ravens to Manchester United (well, not this year) do it

So the day has finally come, It just seems weird to know he's no longer a Canuck. With all the focus on Luongo and with how important his play was for the performance of the team it really feels like this was his team more than it was the Sedins' or Kesler's or anyone elses. The Luongo era is over and it was a wild ride.

I'm not sure what to think of the trade, we'll see what the future holds.

After much thought, here's what I have to say. Not happy with the overall situation (lu, Schneider, Anthony, 15% of Lu's salary for Horvat, Markstrom, Matthias). We did have an opportunity to do a one for one with Luke Schenn a couple of years ago and then flipped Luke for JVR just like TO did. That being said, at this point in time, Markstrom and Matthias was the best it will ever get with Lu's value declining yearly. So bad on MG for initially over valuing Lu but good on him for adjusting and getting the best he could for the current situation.

some other Florida fans

"

That idiot Pierre McGuire is saying that the Cats never gave Markstrom a chance to develop!!!???? How is 4 years not enough?? Good riddance. Vancouver will be all over Marky when he lets in those shots over the shoulder every game. "

Cory Schneider was drafted in 2004. His first NHL start came in 2008. It's 2014 and this is only his second year as a starting goalie, and that's if you count last season.

Hell, Eddie Lack is 26 and this is his first NHL season.

Four years isn't a long time for most goalies. Only four starters in the NHL are 25 years old or younger.

too bad he has 9 goals in 59 games this season.

no, that's a good thing - kept his value reasonable - and misleading considering his situational play (2nd lowest ozone starts among Panthers regulars). I'd take those 9 goals anyway - there's only a handful of guys on this team with more.

After much thought, here's what I have to say. Not happy with the overall situation (lu, Schneider, Anthony, 15% of Lu's salary for Horvat, Markstrom, Matthias). We did have an opportunity to do a one for one with Luke Schenn a couple of years ago and then flipped Luke for JVR just like TO did. That being said, at this point in time, Markstrom and Matthias was the best it will ever get with Lu's value declining yearly. So bad on MG for initially over valuing Lu but good on him for adjusting and getting the best he could for the current situation.

Classic hindsighting - with a blindspot. First of all, JVR was a 6 yr 4.25 millon contract at the time, who was disappointing in Philly, scoring 11 goals in a half season before being dealt. Second, you can't assume that a Schenn deal for JVR would have taken place - so the question is really whether Schenn is a better return than Matthias and Markstrom, and considering that Luke Schenn is likewise a 3.6 million cap hit that isn't quite living up to expectations, I'd have to say that even in hindsight, I'd take this Markstrom, Matthias deal over Schenn, and moreover, the giant elephant in the room that you are selectively ignoring is the question whether Luo would have waived to go to Toronto in the first place. It was reported that he wasn't prepared to waive for Toronto while Florida was a possibility - and his preference was clearly to go where he wound up going. Regardless, Schenn on his own terms is a deal that should have been rejected regardless.

Archived