The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014 UFA Class

captain_kirk1

MODS, I tried the search engine but it wasn't working.

Who do you guys think, in light of everything, who the Canucks target come July 1st 2014.

This of course depends what happens at Draft (i.e if Kesler is traded).

Perhaps Gaborik (he has familiarity with Gillis - again if he's still around)

Moulson and Ott I think would also be good players to target.

Thoughts?

I don't think there's much we SHOULD target. I'd rather let the younger guys within the organization finally slot into our line up (Atleast the few that we have). With all the players we still have on our roster that do not have expiring contracts, I don't think there's much room for someone like Gaborik, Moulson, or Ott.

I dont expect any player to come play for an aging and rapdily declining Vancouver team. It's no essy ride where you can pick up a paycheck and play whatever, fans wont accept that here.

Plus free agents now how to look at our coaching staff and managment and think if they really want to play for them, the way they have treated players has been embarassing and flat out horrible. Even though I live in Vancouver, no chance I would sign to play for them right now.

Canucks will have problems as long as Gillis is around, and possible even after.

Even if Gillis went after some big name UFA's, I doubt they'd want to come here in light of everything that's going on in the organization now. It's clear that the Canucks are beginning a rebuild, retool, whatever they want to call it. That makes it tough to attract players in their prime here who want to win a cup.

Bottom 6

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Matthais

Achiebald,Lain/Dalpe all Extras

That is barely getting younger/ better. That sounds awful

Should look more like

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/ Kassian

____ - Horvat - Jensen/ Kassian

Higgins - Shinkaruk/ Gaunce - Hansen/ Jensen

Sestito - Richardson/ Matthais/ Dalpe/ Lain - Archibald

Callahan, a good version of Burrows and I'm gonna say this over and over. He plays good hockey under Torts. He can be a strong leader on this team. Other then that, let the kids take over either next year or the year after.

No.

That is barely getting younger/ better. That sounds awful

Should look more like

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/ Kassian

____ - Horvat - Jensen/ Kassian

Higgins - Shinkaruk/ Gaunce - Hansen/ Jensen

Sestito - Richardson/ Matthais/ Dalpe/ Lain - Archibald

Shink wont work in the bottom6 and shouldn't throw Horvat directly into Keslers spot

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-Santo

Higgins-Horvat-Matthias

Sestito-Richardson-Archibald

Remember with Shinks injury this year I think be better if he spent a year in Utica before playing on the pro...and for Jensen see if he can continue to be consistent before a fulltime roster spot

Im all for adding youth but im not interested in rushing our prospects by creating holes we don't need to and potentially ruining them...Especially when we have other options we can still use

Kinda hard to predict what we'll need. I'm sure this offseason we'll be making changes.

I'm hoping they'll get that done at the draft and we can go in knowing what holes to fill..

Unfortunately knowing gillis, he'll stand pat till November

I think we need to give Jensen a real shot, Kassian a shot on the top line, and let Shinkaruk play...his speed alone will help our slow team...and Horvat was close last year so my guess is he can definitely push this year. If anyone I'd say Callahan or Vanek to help

Sedin Sedin Callahan/Vanek (assuming the Sedins find their game again)

Shinkaruk Kelser Kassian (kes and Kas have chemistry and so did Shink in preseason)

Higgins Horvat Burrows (great third line)

Matthias Richardson Hansen (great 4th line)

Jensen is depth and the first call

Clearly assumes a buy out of Booth

Upside is with a buyout of Booth and movement of Lou we have alot of cap space. If we trade Kesler we'll have even more. I don't want him gone unless he wants out...and who knows what happens if MG is fired, that may help alot in the dressing room, personally I think the players are tired of how MG is running things...

Archived