The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) torts almost removed updated botch

DrChill

Why do you think Torts went into the dressing room after the game during the media session to talk to Kesler? He was basically telling Kes, "Thanks for saving my ass tonight and playing a hell of a game" I'm pretty sure Torts knew if he lost tonight his head would be rolling out the Rog tonight.

While I agree Torts needs to go, what would be the damn point of firing him now with 17 games to go? It's not like we could turn it around and make a run. And why would management want that with a top 7 pick within reach.

Position ourselves for as high a pick we can get then fire him after the season ends. Right after Aquilini fires Gillis.

While I agree Torts needs to go, what would be the damn point of firing him now with 17 games to go? It's not like we could turn it around and make a run. And why would management want that with a top 7 pick within reach.

Position ourselves for as high a pick we can get then fire him after the season ends. Right after Aquilini fires Gillis.

If ever so happens to magically get this team into the post season it would be impossible to fire him then...its just better to do it sooner than later. You don't have to be an expert to see majority of the team has tuned him out and as long as the Sedin's are on the team, there is no way of playing the type of game he wants while there still here.

I'd keep Torts for another year but have the new GM ask Torts to use a more offensive system, sort of like his in Tampa.

we do not have the skill on this team to play that game. This team has been missing 1-2 top line offensive players for 3 years

Friedmans words were a bit ambiguous. It sounded like either the GM or the coach would have been fired.

Either way, I was never a fan of the Torts hiring. I'm still not. He seems like a good guy, a passionate guy who's tried to change his image in Van. But it doesn't change the fact that he was never the right coach for this team. Listen to Scottie Bowman on team 1040 the other day talking about the type of system Torts employs. It further cemented what a terrible fit he was to begin with, but I guess we have Aquilini to thank for that. Whether it's now or end of season, he needs to be replaced. It doesn't matter which players or which GM is with this team - he's not the coach they need.

well we can't just fire the GM after 1 bad season, on top of 7 consective very good seasons. This is pretty much the same team he he had last year, so why fire the GM? What did he do? literallly nothing, yes! Nothing! I don't think anyone including the fans saw this coming. If David Poile and Lou Lamerioulleo still has their job after years and years of failed hockey I think MIke Gillis will not get fired because he's achieved more then both those GM's Since he (mike Gillis) has joined the leauge as a General manger.

Why fire Mike Gillis? I don't understand you guys. I really don't. What did you want him to do anyways? He can't really prevent the team from struggling when you can't even anticipate it to happen. LIke all of a sudden they just decided to suck! yes! the team! They decided to suck out of nowhere, we won 7 games in a row, we thought things were fine, then they started to lose and suck! Same team that won 7 in a row, now we are calling for Mike Gillis's head? You guys are unbelievable, I stand by my word.

If David Poile and Lou Lammerou still has their job, Mike Gillis will too.

I was a gillis supporter.. but he has not addressed this teams needs for the last 3 seasons. His player evaluation for trades is honestly horrible ie david booth. Booth was brought in to be that top 6 we have needed and he has failed/been unavailable every year he's been here but still no moves.. this team is playing with Hansen and higgins as second liners.. hell its playing with kesler as its best player.. where as contending teams were going to trade for him and have kesler playing 3c. Gillis is to blame because these issues have been here long enough to be addressed and hes done nothing. He is responsible for the personnel on the ice and that 2nd line is abysmal.

well we can't just fire the GM after 1 bad season, on top of 7 consective very good seasons. This is pretty much the same team he he had last year, so why fire the GM? What did he do? literallly nothing, yes! Nothing! I don't think anyone including the fans saw this coming. If David Poile and Lou Lamerioulleo still has their job after years and years of failed hockey I think MIke Gillis will not get fired because he's achieved more then both those GM's Since he (mike Gillis) has joined the leauge as a General manger.

Why fire Mike Gillis? I don't understand you guys. I really don't. What did you want him to do anyways? He can't really prevent the team from struggling when you can't even anticipate it to happen. LIke all of a sudden they just decided to suck! yes! the team! They decided to suck out of nowhere, we won 7 games in a row, we thought things were fine, then they started to lose and suck! Same team that won 7 in a row, now we are calling for Mike Gillis's head? You guys are unbelievable, I stand by my word.

If David Poile and Lou Lammerou still has their job, Mike Gillis will too.

So the NJ cups that Lou won don't count for anything? Last time I checked MG didn't have any.

I don't think he's the right coach. It's not even close, this is almost the same team as last year, look at the difference in EVERYTHING. from scoring , standings, penalty kill, power play, it's a huge difference, this team literally played better under A.V's system vs Torterella's system. It's very dissapointing, how wrong we are, at this point. I remember back in December we were all happy about Torts, like look at it. Yea, sure you can say this team is hampered with injuries, last year the Canucks lost Ryan Kesler for almost the entire year, i'm sorry to say this.

A.V might be a better coach by virtue of having a much more effective "system" in place, vs Tortz, who probably is a better motivator, but the system not equally as effective as A.V's.

I'm begging for a coaching change.

Last year Schneider put up Vezina stats and carried the team.

Stupid, If Torts was fired tonight, it would be one of the most stupidest thing ever.

You don't go around and fire a coach under 1 season. It takes time to adapt and play the system.

Do you want us to be like the Oilers? New coach every year, and last every year.

Why does this ownership and some fans still think this team should make the playoffs?

The blame should be on Gills/Aquiline for bringing in Tortola if they think he is the problem.

They clearly thought that by just changing the coach it would be enough. But what is clear is that the core has gone stale and that Gills has not done a good enough job of adding new young players that bring energy and enthusiasm to a veteran team.

It's clear they either need to get some new players in here who are hungry to learn and work to play Tort's system or bring in another coach with a more offensive system to cater to the star players.

Either way they still need a shakeup player wise. Whether or not they fire the coach and gm is up to the Aquiline family.

Whoever thought giving John Tortorella a five year contact was a good idea should be fired.

And it seems as though Mike Gillis is maybe starting to take some issues with Tortorella's way of doing things. Why is he never at the pre-game skate? How much coaching does he actually do? Are Sullivan and Gulutzan doing all the actual coaching? And why during a pre-game skate in March is an assistant spending 12 minutes on a forechecking drill?

And I get that Kesler is awesome but 25 minutes in a game against the Flames? Come on. This team has fallen that much that Tortorella trusts one forward?

I just think Tortorella is not a relevant NHL coach anymore. The veteran guys who were highly desired last year have fared much better. Ruff has things going well in Dallas and AV has done a solid job at MSG. I would say that neither one of those teams was in a better situation than the Canucks but now they sure seem to be.

And I'm tired of hearing about Tortorella's system. By his own admission he isn't a strong tactical coach. I'm not sure he really has a system save for block shots and collapse around your own net.

I think Torts is there to groom Gulutzan to be the eventual head coach coach.

Gultzan seems to be a guy that possess traits similar to a lot of former coaches. I also think Sullivan stays on as Gulutzan's associate and they get a new special teams guy in there.

Archived