The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) torts almost removed updated botch

DrChill

I call BS on this report. Sounds like a leak by management (after the fact) to make themselves look like they were going to take action in order to win back the fans. There is really no way anyone outside this organization could know this unless someone let it slip.

Torts is out front and center. Like a few have suggested the team on the ice is lacking identity and drive. Some of that is surely on the coaching group. How ever isn't this the same group more or less from last year? The same group that looked flat when they should have been primed?

I have been a big supporter of Gillis and Torts this season. At this point the product on the ice reflects past the coach and players. What we've been served up is boring bad hockey. At the end of last season it was boring, the season before boring. It's been boring hockey since the CUP run.

Gillis has been unable to make the moves and changes he said he was going to make. To think Torts was going to get more out of this group than AV was a huge mistake. The Vancouver Canucks are beyond stale. The core is seemingly dead. I was one of those fans who thought the coaching change was going to do it. I loathe AV as a coach and still do.

I've been wrong about this team. I"m wrong wrong wrong.

When Gillis set the reset button he forgot to plug the whole show in and nothing happened.

At present it looks like the team has tuned out the whole coaching staff , management and even ownership . Why, because they've been seeing the lips moving repeating the same mantra over and over again with no results of truth.

I can't recall a GM making so many bottom 6 moves to get the right combo, mean while the top lines are dying on the vines and nothing is done.

I'm sorry but Hansen and Higgens are strong third liners and nothing more yet they are in the top 6 because that's all there is. This money ball approach isn't working and we all know there's been time to get it down. The face of this team is generically boring boring boring!

We might not like it but I think the facts of this team needing a huge shake up are indisputable and we're in for some slow painful changes. I preach patience only this time I'm patiently awaiting Gillis termination.

I have been so wrong.

Why do you think Torts went into the dressing room after the game during the media session to talk to Kesler? He was basically telling Kes, "Thanks for saving my ass tonight and playing a hell of a game" I'm pretty sure Torts knew if he lost tonight his head would be rolling out the Rog tonight.

Maybe he was telling Kesler to start producing offense like he should be instead of being nothing more than a checker.

We couldn't score in 2011 playoffs, we can't score now, nothing has changed. The problem with this team is the players and that's up to MG.

3 years after the 94 run we imploded and rebuilt and 3 years after 2011 we are doing the same.

The team and fans can't handle losing and they start to turn on each other and the team.

Time to rebuild guys and try again only to come up short and blow up that team.

And I get that Kesler is awesome but 25 minutes in a game against the Flames? Come on. This team has fallen that much that Tortorella trusts one forward?

The problem is, Kesler has become the only center that Torts can count on in the faceoff circle. In a one goal game and on the PK, he doesn't have much choice but to overplay Kes.

it's actually funny reading your post...it's not the players fault? They are the ones that are playing on the ice, not MIke Gillis! Fail! Alex Burrows? 0 goals? Henrik Sedin? Pointless in 20 games? fail! Canucks fans on canucks.com fail!

The players certainly deserve their share of the blame, but the fact is, just last year, a lot of the people around here who are now saying "It's not the coach, it's the players!", were saying "It's not the players, it's the coach!".

AV was an "idiot" for pairing Edler and Bieksa, he was a "moron" for putting Schroeder on the 4th line. A "fool" for not leaving Kassian with the twins. Not having Garrison on the first PP unit was a "boneheaded" move.

All of these things are happening again this year, yet for some reason, Torts is getting a pass from CDC.

The problem with implementing Torts' system here is two-fold.

First, it requires a lot of difficult play to score goals. And a lot of our players were accustomed to easy play to score goals. And a lot of our players are not able to perform difficult plays to score goals. So what implementing Torts' system did was expose our 'scorers' for what they were: Overrated.

Second, a lot of our players have only known one coach, AV. There's going to be a problem with transitioning to a new one, no matter who it was. The players that adapted right away, as it turns out, were the Sedins and Santorelli and the players who have seen multiple coaches. Unfortunately those players have been banged-up quite a bit due to problem #1.

If we fire Torts now, that would be a move to continue with the team apparently being directionless, and it would add a whole new level of flux to this strange re-tooling process the team has been going through since the cup finals run.

Bottom line we've seen what this group the Canucks currently have can do. They didn't score much in big games back then and they're not going to all of a sudden be able to do it now after a mere coaching change.

They need to admit to themselves that a proper rebuild and drafting the correct players for their next shot at it is the ONLY way to do this thing. Enough with the denial already!

And as if to illustrate my previous point, some people are even trying to blame the team's current problems on the coach who isn't even here anymore.

I don't know, he has 4 years left on his new contract.

I think this will be a major deciding factor.

We typically don't get details about coaches contracts but the rumours were 5 years for $10 mil. I just don't believe that the ownership would be willing to eat $8 mil for a coach if they hesitated like crazy to retain any of Luongo's contract.

This is, of course, assuming there was some type of settlement clause in Tort's contract that allowed the team out of it at less than full price. Unfortunately, we'll probably never get to know how the contract was written.

So…. until something happens….. he's our coach for the long haul.

I think this will be a major deciding factor.

We typically don't get details about coaches contracts but the rumours were 5 years for $10 mil. I just don't believe that the ownership would be willing to eat $8 mil for a coach if they hesitated like crazy to retain any of Luongo's contract.

This is, of course, assuming there was some type of settlement clause in Tort's contract that allowed the team out of it at less than full price. Unfortunately, we'll probably never get to know how the contract was written.

So…. until something happens….. he's our coach for the long haul.

I think another factor to consider is the report that it was Aquilini who forced Gillis' hand on the hiring of Tortorella. If that is true, then FA would be left with some serious egg on his face if Torts was let go in less than a year.

I get the impression that Canucks ownership consider themselves "hockey people" and I believe it might be hard for them to admit that their meddling has been a major contributor to the team's downfall this year.

I believe they will give Torts at least one more season to prove that their faith in him was justified.

Lindy Ruff was my choice.

Knows how to handle a veteran team without berating and belittling them.

Meanwhile the Canucks are going to go through a youth movement.

Ruff was my first choice too, but honestly, coaching isn't the problem. It's the lack of up-and-coming star players like Benn and Seguin. We got what? Kassian?

When he publicly berated Edler and Hansen on the bench, on live TV, I thought Torts would lose the room. Imagine how he is berating them behind closed doors. If he can blow his top and attack an opposing team's dressing room during an intermission imagine how he is spazzing behind closed doors.

How would you feel it you were at work and your boss started yelling at you in front of the public and co-workers? Sure these guys make millions and we shouldnt feel sorry for them but they are young guys with no sense of what real life struggles are like - you put a guy in there that yells at them and humiliates them they are bound to shut him off or not go through the wall for him. This is 2014 not 1974.

everyone has an opinion.....myself, i think the whole team from top to bottom has to be examined.....

i believe there is blame throughout the organization from the owners on down.....

imo, it is the hockey people who should make the decisions going forward.....cdc and the fans can't even agree

on anything......according to them, the owners should sell the team, gillis and his management team should go,

torts and his coaching staff should be shown the door and all the players should be traded....we need a new stick boy.

bieksa says he hasn't given up on this team.....i'm going to stick with him and not give up on them either

The firings won't bring back your precious Luongo.

That grease head is long gone buddy.

woaaahhh easy playboi... u must be such a play boy... drowning in all the bunnies behind your computer screen.

hey everyone watch out for this guy... he might not leave anyone else any bunnies LOL

well we can't just fire the GM after 1 bad season, on top of 7 consective very good seasons. This is pretty much the same team he he had last year, so why fire the GM? What did he do? literallly nothing, yes! Nothing! I don't think anyone including the fans saw this coming. If David Poile and Lou Lamerioulleo still has their job after years and years of failed hockey I think MIke Gillis will not get fired because he's achieved more then both those GM's Since he (mike Gillis) has joined the leauge as a General manger.

Why fire Mike Gillis? I don't understand you guys. I really don't. What did you want him to do anyways? He can't really prevent the team from struggling when you can't even anticipate it to happen. LIke all of a sudden they just decided to suck! yes! the team! They decided to suck out of nowhere, we won 7 games in a row, we thought things were fine, then they started to lose and suck! Same team that won 7 in a row, now we are calling for Mike Gillis's head? You guys are unbelievable, I stand by my word.

If David Poile and Lou Lammerou still has their job, Mike Gillis will too.

You are a goof

Poile is 10x the GM Gillis is

Gillis overview;

- good free agent signings (brought in Hamhuis, Garrison etc.//)

- good cap on signings but...

- TO MANY NTC

- trades: this should be fun

- got Booth (great 4.2 cap hit for 10 points)

- Kassian for Hodgson (I don't want to hear their developing... we got wrecked on this deal and I don't care about his attitude.Trade him for more if he is a major issue)

- Schneider for Horvat.... no explaining needed

- only good trade was Higgins

- Luongo deal was decent AT BEST

- BALLARD DEAL

- let Erhoff walk...

- the way he treated Luongo - deserves termination by itself

- the fact he did NOTHING

- we have had major issues 3 straight seasons (lack of top 6 forward, and 3rd line center, which he just addressed)

- offense has been an issue all season and he didn't add anyone

- is totally oblivious to the fact we need a rebuild. see Kesler still here for evidence

- rejected rumored excellent deals for Luongo - got greedy

- I simply can never get over how he treated Luongo... and for those assuming oo its one guy. No. Gillis likely made everyone else realize that Vancouver is a horrible destination.

- we had the best tandem arguably in the NHL for years and got them for a prospect, AHL goalie (granite with potential) and a 3rd line center.

- screwed us in cap as well

- and DRAFTING. 1 guy has played 50+ games for Canucks since 2005! Raymond... and he went away for nothing. I know scouts are mainly responsible for this... but he is the dam GM...

YEAH GREAT GM! YOU TOTALLY MADE YOUR POINT. boggles my mind at people who still believe in this incompetent bozo. As for Torts, he has nothing to work with. However his system is a good one, but not for this team. He needs more PWFs and big defensive defenseman.

Archived