The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) torts almost removed updated botch

DrChill

^^^Very true debluvcanucks. What is needed is patience. Some of you will scoff at that suggestion saying the management has been too patient. I suggest we've had many things work against this club the last couple of years (Injuries, cap circumvention rules, etc.) As what's been stated previously, will the comments die down if this team started winning and scoring again? Some of you say it won't because this core can't compete anymore. Look at Chicago immediately following their first Stanley Cup win. A lot of people were suggesting THAT core needed to be blown up following a poor hangover season despite how young they were. Granted, our core is older but the same method is needed. Patience, evaluate and give them time to adapt to a season of working a very new system.

As for GM MG, he was voted best GM by his peers three years ago. I don't think he's suddenly become an idiot. An abrasive, conceited public persona, probably. He too deserves time to work with why he has. Next year will be the true tell-tale situation. I cannot see as many player injuries to key personnel and I can't see as many key players going through such unspeakable scoring slums. The answer is not to make drastic organizational moves and go to a youth movement in the system that's simply not ready for NHL primetime.

It's an interesting pickle our Nucks are in...

I admit that I was one who applauded the hiring of Torts, as I had high hopes that his "passion" would light a much needed fire under our seemingly unmotivated core group of players.

The first 1/4 of the season it seemed like it was working and the team was slowly coming into their own and getting better.

Then, let's look at what transpired: injury, injury, injury, injury, injury, healthy, injury, injury... you get the idea.

Torts ostensibly has ridden our best players into the ground, benched our supposedly #1 goalie for an unproven youngster (although IMO Lack has been our best player all year), and instilled a lack-luster defensive system with absolutely no scoring potential/threat.

So, what has GMMG done? Horvat, Mathias, Markstrom for Lou and Schneids. As the French would say, "c'est terrible."

Is it Gillis' fault? Aquilini's, Torts', the player's?

If the trades were not there, they were not there. I would much rather keep Kesler and revisit moving him at the draft--maybe we can even look into other options and convince him to stay while adding other key pieces which can help us contend again?

Torts... I'm on the fence with him. He is a high risk high reward kind of coach to hire. So far I think it's failing. His system is tired and boring and he asks too much from his players with such a gruelling schedule. If you want to play that kind of game, role all four lines game in and game out. Imagine if Kesler gets injured between now and the end of the season o_O.

The players... there seems to be no fire once again with our guys. It's hard for me to blame them when they're always dropping like flies, pushing game in and game out with no results, added with a coach who is most likely yelling at you up and down the dressing room.

Fire Torts? I don't know. Maybe.

Finally add some key scoring components before next season? 200% YES.

Blame one faction more than the other? Nah. This is an organizational problem from top to bottom. Everyone needs to be better.

But isn't the job of the coach to motivate the players into playing well?

Based on what you are saying, the coach has no effect on the team.

How can you say Torts "has done well"? What actually has he done other than have the Sedins playing tougher minutes in the defensive zone that they are used to, thereby sucking their offence from them.

Previous management had the Sedins taking the majority of their face-offs in the offensive zone, thereby tasking advantage of their skill set. Torts has them taking defensive face-offs on a regular basis, which is simply not their game.

Putting players in a position to succeed is the job of the coach, and Torts has failed miserably in that regard.

At the other end of the spectrum, is it always the coach's fault when the players aren't playing well?

The Sedins were put in defensive positions because Torts knew they'd be good at it. I don't know about you, but I was amazed at how well they could play defense once they were utilized in that manner. Because of Torts, they're no longer known as one-dimensional players and have expanded their skill sets.

The problem with implementing Torts' system here is two-fold.

First, it requires a lot of difficult play to score goals. And a lot of our players were accustomed to easy play to score goals. And a lot of our players are not able to perform difficult plays to score goals. So what implementing Torts' system did was expose our 'scorers' for what they were: Overrated.

Second, a lot of our players have only known one coach, AV. There's going to be a problem with transitioning to a new one, no matter who it was. The players that adapted right away, as it turns out, were the Sedins and Santorelli and the players who have seen multiple coaches. Unfortunately those players have been banged-up quite a bit due to problem #1.

If we fire Torts now, that would be a move to continue with the team apparently being directionless, and it would add a whole new level of flux to this strange re-tooling process the team has been going through since the cup finals run.

Bottom line we've seen what this group the Canucks currently have can do. They didn't score much in big games back then and they're not going to all of a sudden be able to do it now after a mere coaching change.

They need to admit to themselves that a proper rebuild and drafting the correct players for their next shot at it is the ONLY way to do this thing. Enough with the denial already!

I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that many folks were seduced by the scoreboard and didn't notice the effective, and somewhat major changes in our system. We got chances in the slot and below the dots like crazy last night. Both goals were the result of not playing the perimeter so excessively. Archie taking it to the front of the net when he saw a gap in the D and then Weber coming down from the point to bang it in. It happened all night that our guys were in the perfect spots to capitalize. This hasn't been the case since...ever. That d man coming down from the point was a huge fix.

I also saw our players were some really impressive releases. Higgins, Kes, Jensen and others got the puck put right on their stick and they snapped off more dangerous shots than I have seen all year. Above the pads and extremely quick after receiving the pass. There just seemed to be a much more cohesive offensive strategy last night. It's the first time I have seen it so let's see what happens the next few games. There may be a breakout that few expect.

At the end of the day, who really even cares. Way more important things going on the world right now than hockey. Torts gets fired, so what. he can join the other 8% of adults in Canada. Everyone so concerned about Kesler getting traded/not traded though at the end of the day he still makes 5 million a year, more than 99% of the world's population. So the Canucks lose a game, well there's someone down on Hastings street who just died of a drug overdose and nobody cares.

At the end of the day, who really even cares. Way more important things going on the world right now than hockey. Torts gets fired, so what. he can join the other 8% of adults in Canada. Everyone so concerned about Kesler getting traded/not traded though at the end of the day he still makes 5 million a year, more than 99% of the world's population. So the Canucks lose a game, well there's someone down on Hastings street who just died of a drug overdose and nobody cares.

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Hahahaha. OD deaths.

You're funny.

I don't get why people say tortorellas system failed or whatever when the team was less than 10 pts away from 1st overall in December.

If anything he probably played the wheels off of the sedins and kesler. Both sedins are mired in massive slumps, and havent seen daniel get hurt so much in one year and henrik got hurt, period.

Archived