The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) torts almost removed updated botch

DrChill

Stupid, If Torts was fired tonight, it would be one of the most stupidest thing ever.

You don't go around and fire a coach under 1 season. It takes time to adapt and play the system.

Do you want us to be like the Oilers? New coach every year, and last every year.

You would have kept Bill LaForge longer than 20 games? And, with few exceptions, Vancouver doesn't have a history of pulling the plug on coaches prematurely.

Sometimes you have to bail before the ship takes on even more water. Whether or not Gillis is gone at year's end, Tortorella should be fired before the upcoming draft. Our "window" was supposed to be open for only 2 more years. And you want to give Tortorella the kid glove treatment for one-half of that window?

Agreed to a point. But as they haven't been able to do much with the puck lately, I can see why Torts is preaching ultra-defense.

It's funny all this retreating is happening now, when at season start the team was all about the attack and getting off a ton of shots.

You gotta hope that that is the actual system, and that injuries and overplaying our top players just burned them out.

Losing Santorelli was a bigger blow to this team than I think anyone realized. He really was the player that made that second line go. And with a second line they were able to take some pressure off the Sedins and not wear them down. Now we're down to no lines.

did I hurt your feelings? Why do we allow 5 year olds posting abilities?

RUPERT was making the very appropriate response to an attack post. After I spotted your "you are a goof" lead-off, I stopped reading the rest.

Personal attacks are usually the last resort for those you don't have an argument.

I guess Torts had his chance to get those older guys going and the California/Phoenix road trip pretty much sealed it up. The 9-1 loss to Anaheim was the end of the road I think for the old core. Since we've seen all sorts of callups, Lu was traded for younger guys and Kesler wants out. These are events that Torts didn't want to happen if he wanted to win now or at any time in his 5-year term with the Canucks.

Any coach in the league would've come to the same end of the road with this core though. So how much do you blame Torts? Ah, it wouldn't surprise me if he is canned. It's all part of the process to become laughably bad for awhile here. Hopefully an honest tank job is there next season. You're not going to replace the Sedins' long-term franchise impact via trades or UFA signings.

Kesler doesn't want out. Or you can choose to believe everything TSN force feeds you.

Fire Torts?

Replace him with who?

Sorry, the PP isn't working? oh that's right because the last season and a half we have been total PP monsters in the league right?

Scoring isn't there? That's right, the last seasons and a half we have been 4 goal per game monsters...

Straight up, AV couldn't get this club going. He got canned. Torts cannot get this club going and...it's a coaching problem?

if two separate coaches cannot get this club going it is NOT a coaching issue, especially as one of those coaches won back to back presidents trophies and was in a SCF.

it is not the coaches, start firing coaches now and ask yourself how firing coaches every season or so is helping the powerhouse Edmonton club....

It is the players, the core and nothing more. We need a roster change and maybe a GM change not a coaching change

Fire Torts?

Replace him with who?

Sorry, the PP isn't working? oh that's right because the last season and a half we have been total PP monsters in the league right?

Scoring isn't there? That's right, the last seasons and a half we have been 4 goal per game monsters...

Straight up, AV couldn't get this club going. He got canned. Torts cannot get this club going and...it's a coaching problem?

if two separate coaches cannot get this club going it is NOT a coaching issue, especially as one of those coaches won back to back presidents trophies and was in a SCF.

it is not the coaches, start firing coaches now and ask yourself how firing coaches every season or so is helping the powerhouse Edmonton club....

It is the players, the core and nothing more. We need a roster change and maybe a GM change not a coaching change

This isn't the same team as those under AV's tenure because for the first time in 8 years, we're regular season underachievers. In the 7 previousyears, we missed the playoffs once -- and in some of those playoff years, with worse talent -- and in the one year we missed, we would have made the playoffs as well if not for our entire Dcore, all 6, 5 of them in most games, going down with two weeks to play.

People moan about our lack of playoff success, but it helps a Cup run if we can actually qualify. It's a brutal failure for a club supposed to be a contender (at least for this year and the next) to miss the playoffs where 8 of 14 clubs in the generous playoff set-up make it.

This isn't the same team as those under AV's tenure because for the first time in 8 years, we're regular season underachievers. In the 7 previousyears, we missed the playoffs once -- and in some of those playoff years, with worse talent -- and in the one year we missed, we would have made the playoffs as well if not for our entire Dcore, all 6, 5 of them in most games, going down with two weeks to play.

People moan about our lack of playoff success, but it helps a Cup run if we can actually qualify. It's a brutal failure for a club supposed to be a contender (at least for this year and the next) to miss the playoffs where 8 of 14 clubs in the generous playoff set-up make it.

No real argument but we basically are the same core really. People seem to fail to remember that all of these warning signs were here during 2011/2012 and all through last season.

No depth, no secondary scoring and nobody to be a genuine leader in the forward group outside of Kesler.

The whole thing needs to be redrawn and a coaching change won't cure a damned thing if the same issues are still in place for the new coach

Fire Torts?

Replace him with who?

you can't really compare AV's last season to this season. Yes, our scoring wasn't that great last season, but at least we still do decent. Just take a look at all our players' stats this season. So far 7 of them are hitting their career low including our whole first line. Did they suddenly forget how to play hockey? or it is that they can't adapt to Tort's system and MINUTES without burning ou t in a month or two?

Look at how Tort work on Kesler now lately? Seems familiar? It's how he burnt out the Sedins earlier this season. If he keeps this up, just watch Kesler get a serious injury that could effect his play next season.

You want player change instead of coaching change? Sure, you are looking at trading half of our team at bottom value with their career low seasons.. Do you really want to go through that? or you should fire the coach and find a coach that would at least sync well with our current rosters?

Torts isn't the problem. The locker room full of selfish man children who refuse to work with anyone else is. This core is cancerous and I feel sorry for whoever trades for these prima donnas.

Change it up and rebuild. Start around Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Corrado, Tanev, Lack and Markström and go from there.

seriously? the Sedins are cancerous?

you want to build the team on a bunch of 20 years old and let go of two form 100 points players?

holy jesus dude, wtf are you smoking?

I mean, Torts has a Stanley Cup. He knows what it takes to go all the way and win when it counts. This core couldn't give less than two craps about winning as long as they take their paycheques home. The only one who seems to care at all is Kesler and he wants out plus he has a history of clashing with people.

do you have anything to back up your opinion on Tort other than he had a stanley cup ring? no? Too bad

seriously? the Sedins are cancerous?

you want to build the team on a bunch of 20 years old and let go of two form 100 points players?

holy jesus dude, wtf are you smoking?

NOTHING but the term core I said applies to the Sedins. I said the core refuses to work with anyone, which is the opposite of the Sedins. I assumed that would have been clear enough reading my post, but clearly not.

I'm talking Kesler, Elder, Booth, Burrows, etc.

I think we keep Mike Gillis as President.

When you look at the framework he's set for the team, it's great, the guy just can't develop players, he's not very good at drafting and he just can't make trades. We need a good hockey guy with scouting acumen running this team. The draft isn't a crapshoot, neither is player development, you just need a guy who can get it right.

I think we keep Mike Gillis as President.

When you look at the framework he's set for the team, it's great, the guy just can't develop players, he's not very good at drafting and he just can't make trades. We need a good hockey guy with scouting acumen running this team. The draft isn't a crapshoot, neither is player development, you just need a guy who can get it right.

He should be gone for all the reasons you just listed. But knowing ownership they will bring him back and Torts will be the one that gets fired.

Archived