The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014-15 NHL Salary Cap could be as low as $68 million, rather than the projected $71 million, due to Can. dollar

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24470769/kings-gm-canadian-dollar-will-keep-salary-cap-below-initial-projection

Something that you've probably heard non-stop all season long regarding new contracts and adding big-money players has been something along the lines of "don't worry, the cap is going way up." Indeed, the NHL Board of Governors were informed that the cap was very likely going to expand to a ceiling of around $71 million next season, way up from the $64.3 million this season.

Well not so fast. One of the NHL's smartest GM, Dean Lombardi, (we mean that in the 'he's so smart he talks about coulumbs sense" and the "he wanted Keith Yandle for Team USA" sense) is planning well ahead again and got to the bottom of it.

Talking about his Kings roster and the pending FAs they have, Lombardi said the salary cap isn't going to climb anywhere near as high as everybody believed. As he told the LA Times, you really can take the South Park advice and Blame Canada.

Asked about his contract negotiations with defenseman
, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency this summer,
Lombardi said he was told the salary cap, initially projected to rise to about $71 million next season, will be significantly lower because of the recent weakness of the Canadian dollar. Lombardi said he verified that through the league.
The drop will affect whether he can keep Greene,
and
, and it undoubtedly affected deadline-day decisions around the league.

"
We found out, to our chagrin and surprise the other day, we had been told the cap was going to be $71 [million] and now with the Canadian dollar having tanked, that the cap could be as low as $68 [million]. That's a huge swing,
" Lombardi said. "So that's more of the talks with our three guys, Mitchell, Lewis and Greene, who we'd all like to bring back. That's more of a hindrance than anything we acquired today."

What they acquired [yesterday] was, of course, Marian Gaborik from the Blue Jackets. He too is a free agent after this season who right now has an annual salary of $7.5 million.

This is going to affect teams all over the league. You better believe GMs everywhere were planning on having that cap all the way up there, particularly after the cap crunch this season has put more than half the league up against the ceiling. The amount of money they'll have to try and entice the big free agents has decreased from what they thought they'd have. Perhaps that'll be an advantage for the teams already with spending space available.

It will still be a while before the cap number is officially set -- after the season when revenues are all in -- but it's not going to be the dramatic increase everybody though, which could reduce some of the free-agent frenzy fun. Thanks, Canada.

Well this sucks. So much for it being easier to trade Kesler because of increasing salary cap. Also, did CBS really need that last snide against Canada?

This came out a few days ago from various sources, yet MG in his email letter to STH's yesterday specifically referenced the cap going up by over $7 Million.

What the !@#$% is he doing?

Either the letter was written a few months ago when the dollar was stronger, or this is just another situation that our GM has misread.

Either way, it does not look good on him.

This came out a few days ago from various sources, yet MG in his email letter to STH's yesterday specifically referenced the cap going up by over $7 Million.

What the !@#$% is he doing?

Either the letter was written a few months ago when the dollar was stronger, or this is just another situation that our GM has misread.

Either way, it does not look good on him.

^Should read more detailed and see what he actually wrote instead of jumping to conclusion:

"We are also well positioned financially, having created over $5 million in cap room to make the right deals for this team. That's in addition to the $7 million we expect the salary cap to increase next season."

Nothing wrong with that, just like how every GM expected it to go up to $71 mill...

^Should read more detailed and see what he actually wrote instead of jumping to conclusion:

"We are also well positioned financially, having created over $5 million in cap room to make the right deals for this team. That's in addition to the $7 million we expect the salary cap to increase next season."

Nothing wrong with that, just like how every GM expected it to go up to $71 mill...

Seems to me that the rumour of the cap not going up anywhere near that amount has been out for a while. I heard something to that effect last week as a matter of fact.

Surely if that scuttlebutt is being discussed in public by various people who make their living covering the league (Mackenzie and McGuire), then you'd think GM's would have info that would suggest the same.

Assuming the GM's had an inkling that this could happen, why would MG send out a letter just yesterday essentially stating it as fact?

Either he's lying, or he didn't know.

I'm not sure which is worse.

Seems to me that the rumour of the cap not going up anywhere near that amount has been out for a while. I heard something to that effect last week as a matter of fact.

Surely if that scuttlebutt is being discussed in public by various people who make their living covering the league (Mackenzie and McGuire), then you'd think GM's would have info that would suggest the same.

Assuming the GM's had an inkling that this could happen, why would MG send out a letter just yesterday essentially stating it as fact?

Either he's lying, or he didn't know.

I'm not sure which is worse.

The Russian Rocket made it bold and bigger to make it stand out for you and you either still missed it, or just chose to ignore it.

we expect the salary cap to increase next season.

Expect - To consider likely or certain

Fact - Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed

The Russian Rocket made it bold and bigger to make it stand out for you and you either still missed it, or just chose to ignore it.

we expect the salary cap to increase next season.

Expect - To consider likely or certain

Fact - Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed

Don't patronize me dufus.

Gillis said he expects the cap to increase by $7 Million. He mentions the number in his letter.

I said that that the scuttlebutt last week was that it would not go that high due to the Canadian dollar.

Daly today confirmed today that the cap increase would not be as high as Gillis indicated in his letter.

So I'll repeat again, Gillis was either trying do be deceitful, or he had no clue the cap increase might be less than the $7 Million.

Either way, it doesn't look good on him.

Gillis said he expects the cap to increase by $7 Million. He mentions the number in his letter.

I said that that the scuttlebutt last week was that it would not go that high due to the Canadian dollar.

Daly today confirmed today that the cap increase would not be as high as Gillis indicated in his letter.

So I'll repeat again, Gillis was either trying do be deceitful, or he had no clue the cap increase might be less than the $7 Million.

Teams that used all their compliance buyouts, have spent up to the cap and have to sign a lot of players next year probably sweating over this. Hello Leafs, hate Gillis all you want but he managed this correct.

Hahaha bringing out the big insults I see.

By the way, I wasn't trying to patronize you. I was being blunt. And going off of your last comment, it appears as though you still don't understand the meaning of the word expect

Bill Daly's comments on the cap situation

"Obviously the value of the Canadian dollar has an effect on the cap, ultimately," Daly said. "It's probably not as large an effect as people might think. But depending on what happens with the dollar between now and June at the time we have to set the cap and what that does to year-end revenues and projections for next year, it'll have an effect. It shouldn't be that major, though."

After reading Daly's comments I have to agree with you MJDDawg. Gillis is just a slimeball that cannot be trusted. Bill Daly clearly states that "depending on what happens with the dollar between now and June at the time we have to set the cap and what that does to year-end revenues and projections for next year" but Gillis has the audacity to tell us that he Expects the cap to potentially rise by $7 million? So he doesn't confirm what Daly says, nor does he deny it. Hell, Daly doesn't even confirm or deny the amount that the cap might go up! How can Gillis expect us to trust him, when the information that he's receiving is not clear as the situation is still ongoing. He says expect as he must still be unsure and that's just unacceptable. If he can't even go in to the future and determine the actual cap amount to write in a letter to the STH's 4 months prior then he's just simply not the man for the job. We want definitive amounts. Not lies.

That was me mocking you.

Dufus.

Archived