The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Should Stay

Jiggs50

Why bother? I'd also be accused of making sources up, not being credible enough or some dribbles to that effect. Since you're all certain that Gillis is so respected, such good GM, etc. that surely you must have sources or know people within organization that say otherwise. But it's alright to attack and gang up on someone like abunch of douches when you don't agree with them. Goes to show type of person you and the others are. I can see why Liberals were re-elected. No wonder this place is regarded as such joke. Alot of you weren't even born or fan back in 94 and try to come off as experts. No wonder Dan Russell has mentioned CDC before and what joke it is. Indeed. Oh, I forgot. He's idiot, bitter because he didn't get play by play job. At least he has the balls to tell it like it is. Something no-one else in Vancouver media does, especially "yes men" and clowns at 1040 that make every excuse for Gillis.

laughing-lol-crazy-l.png

Why bother? I'd also be accused of making sources up, not being credible enough or some dribbles to that effect. Since you're all certain that Gillis is so respected, such good GM, etc. that surely you must have sources or know people within organization that say otherwise. But it's alright to attack and gang up on someone like abunch of douches when you don't agree with them. Goes to show type of person you and the others are. I can see why Liberals were re-elected. No wonder this place is regarded as such joke. Alot of you weren't even born or fan back in 94 and try to come off as experts. No wonder Dan Russell has mentioned CDC before and what joke it is. Indeed. Oh, I forgot. He's idiot, bitter because he didn't get play by play job. At least he has the balls to tell it like it is. Something no-one else in Vancouver media does, especially "yes men" and clowns at 1040 that make every excuse for Gillis.

Hahaha I didn't think it could get any better but you definitely outdid yourself. You actually brought the fact that the Liberals were re-elected in to the debate as if that would help solidify your point. I think that's definitely a first.

By the way, I'm a born and raised Vancouverite since the early 80's. I remember the 94 finals like it was yesterday.

Lame is stating your opinion on here without providing any facts.

And Pat Quinn the best GM we've ever had? Best coach we've ever had, but far from the best GM. Did he make some amazing trades for us? Yes. Did he make some brutal ones that hampered this organization for years after his departure? Yes.

Btw, the Canucks finished 7th in the Western Conference the year Quinn took us to the finals. We were a Cinderella team. It only took two seasons after that Stanley Cup finals appearance until the Canucks went on one of the worst downward spirals in the organizations history.

Not according to some that will argue and state AV is the best coach statistically wise. Ironically, it's been 2/3 years since Finals appearance and look how Canucks have declined in that time. Yes, they've made the playoffs since then but have gone out in first round in 5 and 4 games, respectively.

Not according to some that will argue and state AV is the best coach statistically wise. Ironically, it's been 2/3 years since Finals appearance and look how Canucks have declined in that time. Yes, they've made the playoffs since then but have gone out in first round in 5 and 4 games, respectively.

Fair enough. If statistically he's better, than that's fine and I will concede that without a fight. If someone were to come up to me with the facts and put them right in my face, the last thing I'm going to do is deny it. I just personally loved Pat Quinn as a coach and a person, that's why I label him as my favourite and felt he was the best coach in our history.

You're right, we did get knocked out early in those rounds. It doesn't mean we have to follow that exact same path and it doesn't mean we're definitely going to. You just fear we are

I don't think Aquaman is going to fire Gillis regardless of how much or little he is liked or disliked or how good of a job he's done according to the CDC consensus. Torts will go before Gillis and I don't see Torts going either. Just so everyone is clear on my opinion, I don't really care if he stays or goes, I see him as a average GM who used NTC leverage to sign bargain deals to a core while they were at their peak, and found a few diamonds in the rough along the way. He is neither Awesome or Crap. That said, here are some reasons why Gillis should stay or go...

Mike Gillis should go...ask alice

Mike Gillis should stay...in' alive

Mike Gillis should go...tell it on the mountain

Mike Gillis should stay...with me

Mike Gillis won't go...without you

Mike Gillis should stay...Ft Mikky Ekko

Hahaha I didn't think it could get any better but you definitely outdid yourself. You actually brought the fact that the Liberals were re-elected in to the debate as if that would help solidify your point. I think that's definitely a first.

By the way, I'm a born and raised Vancouverite since the early 80's. I remember the 94 finals like it was yesterday.

No. I mentioned Liberals being re-elected to show what abunch of idiots Vancouver really is as they were the ones as always dictate to rest of B.C. They're so gullible they re-elect a government with record of such corruption, lies, scandals and reward that with re-election. 16 years of it and apparently Vancouver hasn't had enough. Similar to Gillis in the way how most fans and media believe anything and everything he says along with this organization keeping him around and rewarding such incompetence.

The worst move Gillis made was trading both Luongo and Schneider those are the only two transactions that eventually led CDC to the Canucks tanking this season

Anyone else have any suggestions on what his worst moves have been with the Canucks....

Gillies' worst "move" does not involve specific trades, FA signings or hiring snafus. It involves not necessarily learning from Pat Quinn's mistake in the mid-90's and building a team based on the promises the NHL made in how they were going to change the game. In the Mid-'90's following the Stanley Cup appearance against the Rangers, Quinn went for a more smaller, skllled team because the NHL promised it wanted to get rid of "The Trap" and deal with the growing problem of obstruction in the neutral zone. Regrettably, the opposite effect happened where New Jersey rose to a dominate team in the playoffs with that style of play.

Gillies made the same assumption. He took the league at its word that they would maintain the game to be officiated the same way in the playoffs as it would be in the regular season. Granted, our power play came up lame in the Cup final in 2011 but the same promise calling all infractions by the league was made in 2012. However, since that time, the officiating has obvious become "hands off" during that second season and, as a result, the Canucks could not compete with the larger teams that could get away with more physical play. This point was observed and made clear by many media outlets (TSN, CBC, SportNet, etc.) when witnessing this style of play. Since this time, Gillies has tried to play catch-up to re-tool/re-build/re-model this team on the fly to compete while still being competitive. That has been his big mistake, but it's a mistake not because of his abilities, but due to taking the word of the league that it would take the game to a certain direction and not following through all the way.

Fair enough. If statistically he's better, than that's fine and I will concede that without a fight. If someone were to come up to me with the facts and put them right in my face, the last thing I'm going to do is deny it. I just personally loved Pat Quinn as a coach and a person, that's why I label him as my favourite and felt he was the best coach in our history.

You're right, we did get knocked out early in those rounds. It doesn't mean we have to follow that exact same path and it doesn't mean we're definitely going to. You just fear we are

What are you smoking and watching? You're telling me if somehow they get into playoffs they won't be swept for second straight year. Get real.

What are you smoking and watching? You're telling me if somehow they get into playoffs they won't be swept for second straight year. Get real.

I was referring to the fact that the Canucks hopefully won't go in a downward spiral the same way we did in the late 90's

No. I mentioned Liberals being re-elected to show what abunch of idiots Vancouver really is as they were the ones as always dictate to rest of B.C. They're so gullible they re-elect a government with record of such corruption, lies, scandals and reward that with re-election. 16 years of it and apparently Vancouver hasn't had enough. Similar to Gillis in the way how most fans and media believe anything and everything he says along with this organization keeping him around and rewarding such incompetence.

I get why you brought it in to the discussion, but the fact of the matter is it doesn't belong in this discussion. It's just you projecting your anger over another matter entirely.

It's pretty clear he's not going to put up facts to back up his statements, how about we just let him slide into obscurity? I'm all for trying to clear up misinformation, but at some point you're just banging your head against a wall and hoping the wall gets softer.

It's pretty clear he's not going to put up facts to back up his statements, how about we just let him slide into obscurity? I'm all for trying to clear up misinformation, but at some point you're just banging your head against a wall and hoping the wall gets softer.

I'd probably put him on ignore honestly if he wasn't so darned funny :lol:

Btw, the Canucks finished 7th in the Western Conference the year Quinn took us to the finals. We were a Cinderella team. It only took two seasons after that Stanley Cup finals appearance until the Canucks went on one of the worst downward spirals in the organizations history.

It was a labelled a 'Cinderella run' but in fact the team battled for first in their division.

Canucks finished first in the Smythe Division in 1992-1993.

Canucks finished SECOND in the Pacific Division in 1993-1994(division names were changed that year).

Quinn stayed on one more year -made the playoffs.The team finished second in their division.

In fact,the Canucks made the playoffs EVERY year he was GM of the Canucks.

In 1994-1995 Quinn left -the spiral was Keenan,Messier and the McCaw disaster.

PAT QUINN made a number of trades the year of the cup run:

He traded for Jim Vanbiesbrouck,Jimmy Carson,Craig Janney,Jeff Brown,Bret Hedican and Nathan Lafayette.

The year before Quinn acquired Dave Babych,Geoff Courtnall,Cliff Ronning,Sergio Momesso,Tom Kurvers,Gerald Diduck and Robert Dirk.

It should be noted that not only did Quinn manage the club,he also coached the club.

Yay! Another Gillis thread!

I think I've made my stance on Gillis, Torts, the Sedins, Burrows, Edler and anything else about the current situation pretty clear in all the other threads on the subjects, so I won't bother doing it again.

And yet you do over and over again which is the definition of....

Archived