The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Should Stay

Jiggs50

This is just my opinion. Everyone has their own perspectives. So before you guys explode just remember that. Boy is this going to be controversial.

Gillis has never really been allowed to make the moves he wants. He got hired to add pieces to a team that had it's core intact and in their primes. I believe he never got to build the team he wanted. He got forced into trading Hodgson. The Luongo saga of course didn't play out as he had anticipated.

Anyway I like to look at both sides. Every general manager in the league makes mistakes. They have to take risks to succeed. Here's a look at the positives..

Took team to the finals (added key pieces in Torres, Erhoff, Malhotra, Samuelsson..)

Dan Hamhuis

Tanev

Eddie Lack and Joackim Ericksson

Dane Fox signing

Signed the majority of the core to bargain deals before cup run

Drafted some gems (Jensen, Horvat, Corrado, Cederholm..)

Traded Luongo and that Contract (an accomplishment in it's self)

I'm missing some but Gillis has done some really good things here. Yeah we have been crappy for a couple of years but Gillis has us stocked for the future. Our prospect pool has never looked better. I really believe we will be back in the playoffs next year. Our teams future is exciting.

The Negatives..

Let Torres and Erhoff walk

Booth

Ballard

Didn't get enough for goalies

Garrison?? (Overpaid imo)

Bad timing for Hodgson trade.

Etc etc

You get the good with the bad. I say give Gillis another year. Let him clean up his own mess. If we bring in another GM it's going to take him months just evaluating this team. Let Gillis see this through!

Signed majority of the core to bargain deals. Have you seen our top line?

Anyone could of signed Hamhuis. He was coming here no matter what.

Tanev and Eriksson, I'll give him that but he also traded two star goalies for Bo Horvat and friends and lost Ehrhoff, Hodgson, 1st round pick, Grabner for Zack Kassian.

Who trades a 1st and Grabner just to buy out a player?

Want to trade Edler? O too bad he has a NTC like half the team. LA Won the cup and didn't even have NTC's.

Totally agree. He's an intelligent guy and was drafted 6th overall by the Colorado rockies so he understands the game as well.

We haven't missed the playoffs since he came in up until this year...Does everybody forget how TERRIBLE nonis signings were?

Signed majority of the core to bargain deals. Have you seen our top line?

Anyone could of signed Hamhuis. He was coming here no matter what.

Tanev and Eriksson, I'll give him that but he also traded two star goalies for Bo Horvat and friends and lost Ehrhoff, Hodgson, 1st round pick, Grabner for Zack Kassian.

Who trades a 1st and Grabner just to buy out a player?

Want to trade Edler? O too bad he has a NTC like half the team. LA Won the cup and didn't even have NTC's.

He signed Kesler, Sedins, Hansen, Burr, and Hamhuis to bargain deals. I'm talking about their previous deals. Before the cup run. Grabner got waived by Florida too...

I have a feeling naslund is gonna be hired as gm and gillis will stay on as the president of canucks

If anyone can get sedins and edler back on track its nazzy him and forsberg are their idols.

The way i look at it we should trade kesler

Hes worth a ton get a young center or winger a first rounder and a b level prospect for him

Our center depth is pretty huge. Henrik, mattias, richardson, gaunce, fox, shinkaruk, horvat, lain all can play center i think richardson will be traded in offseason as well iid rather use a young player so he griws for the future

History of the Canucks lines during the Nonis era...

Nonis History – 2005-06:
Naslund-Morrison- Bertuzzi
Sedin-Sedin-Carter
Ruutu-Kesler-Cooke
Burrows-Linden-Park
Green, Brookbank
Ohlund-Salo
Jovanovski-Allen
Baumgartner-Bieksa
Auld
Cloutier
Oullet

Dave Nonis – 2006-07:

Sedin-Sedin-Pyatt

Naslund-Morrison-Cooke
Bulis-Kesler-Burrows
Linden-Chouinard-Green
Cowan, Santala
Ohlund-Bieksa
Mitchell-Salo
Krajicek-Fitzpatrick
Sopel –was hurt—
Luongo
Sabourin

Dave Nonis – 2007-08:

Sedin-Sedin-Naslund
Burrows-Kesler- Pyatt
Raymond-Ritchie/Morrison- Cooke
Isbister-Linden- Cowan
Pettinger, Shannon, Rypien, Brown
Ohlund-Salo
Mitchell-Bieksa
Edler-Krajicek
Miller, Weaver
Luongo
Sanford

Pretty self explanatory that Gillis has out GM'd Nonis by a long shot...

Totally agree. He's an intelligent guy and was drafted 6th overall by the Colorado rockies so he understands the game as well.We haven't missed the playoffs since he came in up until this year...Does everybody forget how TERRIBLE nonis signings were?

So true was Mike Gillis GM of this team when we had Mats Sundin for a while?

Good points, I agree that we keep him because he does have a plan in motion and it will become more apparent next season imo

Thanks. Yeah the teams definitely got bigger and faster recently with the additions of Kassian, Mathias, and Jensen.

Totally agree. He's an intelligent guy and was drafted 6th overall by the Colorado rockies so he understands the game as well.

We haven't missed the playoffs since he came in up until this year...Does everybody forget how TERRIBLE nonis signings were?

David Clarkson

Because Sturm and Ebbett were so much better...

Nonis was clueless when it came to free agency. The only good move he made was great but it was one move.

All of his deadline deals were trading our 2nd/3rd round picks for crap like Keith Carney and Eric Weinrich.

Nonis was clueless when it came to free agency. The only good move he made was great but it was one move.

All of his deadline deals were trading our 2nd/3rd round picks for crap like Keith Carney and Eric Weinrich.

Agreed. Other than Luongo he didn't really do much. He did draft decently though..

This is just my opinion. Everyone has their own perspectives. So before you guys explode just remember that. Boy is this going to be controversial.

Gillis has never really been allowed to make the moves he wants. He got hired to add pieces to a team that had it's core intact and in their primes. I believe he never got to build the team he wanted. He got forced into trading Hodgson. The Luongo saga of course didn't play out as he had anticipated.

Anyway I like to look at both sides. Every general manager in the league makes mistakes. They have to take risks to succeed. Here's a look at the positives..

Took team to the finals (added key pieces in Torres, Erhoff, Malhotra, Samuelsson..)

Dan Hamhuis

Tanev

Eddie Lack and Joackim Ericksson

Dane Fox signing

Signed the majority of the core to bargain deals before cup run

Drafted some gems (Jensen, Horvat, Corrado, Cederholm..)

Traded Luongo and that Contract (an accomplishment in it's self)

I'm missing some but Gillis has done some really good things here. Yeah we have been crappy for a couple of years but Gillis has us stocked for the future. Our prospect pool has never looked better. I really believe we will be back in the playoffs next year. Our teams future is exciting.

The Negatives..

Let Torres and Erhoff walk

Booth

Ballard

Didn't get enough for goalies

Garrison?? (Overpaid imo)

Bad timing for Hodgson trade.

Etc etc

You get the good with the bad. I say give Gillis another year. Let him clean up his own mess. If we bring in another GM it's going to take him months just evaluating this team. Let Gillis see this through!

I'm sorry but our prospect pool is one of the worst in the league.

Jensen has looked good as of late but is not considered a top tier prospect, we'll see how he does next year.

Corrado was a diamond in the rough but hasn't done anything spectacular. He will be an NHL D-Man one day, but 2nd or 3rd string.

Dane Fox is looking good, lets see if he can translate that into the NHL when he's ready.

Horvat, Is going to be a star one day

Shinkaruk, a lot people are on the fence with him, but I truly believe he is going to a 50 goal scorer... That's my opinion, not everyones.

Ericsson hasn't done anything to say he's a good prospect.

Cassels, Subban, Cederholm, etc are still all question marks. The Canucks have to rebuild through free agency, we don't have the NHL ready prospects to fill our lines. Jensen should be here next season, but Gillis needs to use our cap space to land at least 2 of these guys, hopefully 3. Gaborik, Hiller, Vanek, Callahan as well as land a bounty IF he trades Kesler.

The only reason to trade Kesler is if he get a slight over payment for him. That being said, unless we are making the play-offs in the top 3, I doubt Kesler resigns in two years.

Archived