Booth Matthias Hansen

Sestito Richardson Santorelli

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Stanton Garrison

Lack

Markstrom.

With Kassian and Tanev at 5.8 total cap hit = 65.55

Leaves anywhere from 3-6 million depending on final cap ceiling.

It's the system or defensive positioning.

Tortz employs a tight gap down low coverage with center to net and wingers collapsing down. It's a solid positioning that many coaches employ but unless your players are faster skating with the puck than the back pressure your not gonna get away on any kind of transition.

The Sedin's are a disaster with this as there just too slow to brake away. Add to that all the defensive zone starts and a left handed pp defenseman and it's safe to say it's not working for more reasons than just age.

I wasn't even a big AV fan.....but he sure made use of his personnel. Tortz reacts to the game better but he needs to have an offensive mind or he will be obsolete.

I agree 100% that the Sedin's are too slow to ask them to skate hard. They just don't play that way. It's a shame no one took this into consideration when Torts was hired. I agree with the AV comment but one thing I think most people are forgetting is that AV had 6 years and grew with the team in order to get that much out of them. If Torts had 6 years with these guys I definitely think he'd be getting better results. I love the attitude but I reluctantly agree that the team doesn't match the coach. I just think Torts is the last guy that deserves blame for it. Like I mentioned earlier at some point it's not like he came in with a game plan to competely destory the team. Management looks pretty dumb on this one. I'm also in the boat that this team has seriously been declining for 3 years now. It's unfortunate that they threw a new coach into the fire just as the wheels were coming off.

Fair point.

A coach absolutely must understand and utilize his players to maximize results. I think MG's shot across the bow was exactly about this. Tortz will adapt or be replaced. If Gillis is the GM.

Having to say it in a interview says a lot about the communication between the two.

Yeah, some serious flaws showing there. For what it's worth I think there was serious miscommunication between MG and AV also. It's like they never talk or plan together. For instance last year, we were depleted all year, especially at center so MG goes out and gets Roy at the deadline. AV proceeds to play him on the wing all playoffs. Also both coaches having to resort to playing Hansen on the first and second line is a joke as well. Like what the heck is that?

Yeah, some serious flaws showing there. For what it's worth I think there was serious miscommunication between MG and AV also. It's like they never talk or plan together. For instance last year, we were depleted all year, especially at center so MG goes out and gets Roy at the deadline. AV proceeds to play him on the wing all playoffs. Also both coaches having to resort to playing Hansen on the first and second line is a joke as well. Like what the heck is that?

Yes the AV-Gillis relationship down the stretch did have these same tendencies. Hopefully not a sign of how Gillis does business going forward. I doubt it considering how well they originally meshed.

I have from good sources that MG was not the one who orchestrated the last 2 trades and the coach hiring. The Luongo - Acquilini relationship superseded Gillis. Tortz was the guy Francesco wanted to revitalize a team that had supposedly become complacent.

It adds a lot of clarity to what has transpired and MG wants his hands back on the steering wheel or to be relieved.

Definitely an ultimatum of sorts........it will be really interesting how Aquaman and Tortz handle it.

Nothing would be better than re harmonized leadership as we all know dysfunctional management will trickle down. Gillis has a plethora of young talent about to start emerging sooner than later and a solid ownership- management - coaching relationship will allow that to flourish not to mention Free Agents don't pick teams in turmoil.

I might be in the minority here but now is not the time to make rash decisions. The Canucks need stability, leadership, clearly defined roles, and the people that are willing to be part of the solution........like my boy Bieksa.

Nothing would be better than re harmonized leadership as we all know dysfunctional management will trickle down. Gillis has a plethora of young talent about to start emerging sooner than later and a solid ownership- management - coaching relationship will allow that to flourish not to mention Free Agents don't pick teams in turmoil.

I might be in the minority here but now is not the time to make rash decisions. The Canucks need stability, leadership, clearly defined roles, and the people that are willing to be part of the solution........like my boy Bieksa.

This. So very much all of this.

Yes the AV-Gillis relationship down the stretch did have these same tendencies. Hopefully not a sign of how Gillis does business going forward. I doubt it considering how well they originally meshed.

I have from good sources that MG was not the one who orchestrated the last 2 trades and the coach hiring. The Luongo - Acquilini relationship superseded Gillis. Tortz was the guy Francesco wanted to revitalize a team that had supposedly become complacent.

It adds a lot of clarity to what has transpired and MG wants his hands back on the steering wheel or to be relieved.

Definitely an ultimatum of sorts........it will be really interesting how Aquaman and Tortz handle it.

Well said .. we are in transition, and Bieksa is a key piece in us moving forward and mentoring new ones in 'how to grow a pair' .

Gillis has been disingenuous with both the coaching staff and the players.

Various players have stated in no uncertain terms that they like Torts and enjoy playing for him.

Gillis has not received any such endorsements from the players, and has done nothing to be accountable at all.

Torts has been accountable, honest, and forthright. Gillis has taken any opportunity to deflect blame.

Various players have stated in no uncertain terms that they like Torts and enjoy playing for him.

Gillis has not received any such endorsements from the players, and has done nothing to be accountable at all.

Torts has been accountable, honest, and forthright. Gillis has taken any opportunity to deflect blame.

Gillis said he would/and should be evaluated on his job....seems very clear to me.

Gillis never said anything I heard about calling out ownership and meddling.

I have listened to that interview several times and I agree with you. In what statement of the interview can anyone get the gest of that idea. That idea was basically thrown out by someone on Team 1040 and like all else, if it is hatched or manufactured on Team 1040, it just has to be right. The fact remains they haven't got anything right for a long time.

I would rather watch Judge Judy than listen to all the rumours and innuendo that originates from that station

I agree

I have listened to that interview several times and I agree with you. In what statement of the interview can anyone get the gest of that idea. That idea was basically thrown out by someone on Team 1040 and like all else, if it is hatched or manufactured on Team 1040, it just has to be right. The fact remains they haven't got anything right for a long time.

I would rather watch Judge Judy than listen to all the rumours and innuendo that originates from that station

The only people that could have made Gillis go in a different direction is ownership and he's clearly saying that he wants to go back to his way and adding the right players to go back to that direction.

I'm beginning to think that this should be handled internally and then everyone come out publically on same page. All this jostling for position shows just how fractured ownership, GM, and coach is at.

Seems like Gillis acted out of desperation if u ask me, throwing your coach under the bus like that is bush league and an act of a man on very thin ice.

Seems like Gillis acted out of desperation if u ask me, throwing your coach under the bus like that is bush league and an act of a man on very thin ice.

I don't think he's throwing Torts' under the bus, but he is certainly distancing himself from Torts. It's just a subtle reminder to everyone that Torts was never his choice...then or now.

I guess everybody hears things differently..I didn't hear a desperate man on thin ice at all...More like a disappointed one,who vowed (if he still has a job) that he should have stuck to his instincts..

Detroit would never let their veteran stars walk though, so if they let Kesler walk (nevermind Luongo, Ehrhoff, Malhotra, etc.), then you might as well shut the door on Detroit emulation.

However, we've yet to see "Gillis' team" hit the ice. We won't either until the Sedins leave, and by then we'll likely be needing new franchise players.

Hey, there's a pretty good draft coming up.

Not sure how this went from claims that the Canucks can no longer play puck possession hockey and remedying the false hopes of fans with tanking for years for picks to this odd claim that Detroit would never let their stars walk.

What does if they let Kesler walk have to do with anything? He has two years remaining on his contract and is far more likely to be dealt than let walk, but the discussion is years premature in any eventl. The Canucks didn't 'let Luongo walk', they dealt him. Malhotra is hardly a "let him walk" story. Ehrhoff - any wise team would have let him walk as opposed to caving to the ridiculous 10 year term that Regier did, one of the worst performing GM's on the free agency market.

Irrelevent and even further off topic imo.

Archived