The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

21 minutes ago, Pears said:

Shi Davidi just said the Blue Jays are focusing on signing Mitch Moreland....

:picard: 

they are scrambling now.  no plan at all.

Smoak could come up with his numbers if he played as much. and also is a switch hitter.

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 1

Regarding EE Astros are out of it with Beltran, Yankees just signed Holliday and report is he will play 1B/DH so there out on EE. Boston isn't willing to spend that much on EE so there out. That only leaves the Rangers, unfortunately they aren't afraid to spend money, but this is the only team left that is capable to give EE the amount he wants....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

they are scrambling now.  no plan at all.

Smoak could come up with his numbers if he played as much. and also is a switch hitter.

Agreed, Moreland does not excite me at all.  The should improve on Smoak not sign pretty much the same thing for more money.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Wow the Jays just signed Steve Pearce... Peace out EE.

just going to post that..welcome our new LF..:wacko:

The Toronto Blue Jays have signed Steve Pearce to a two-year, $12.5 million deal according to ESPN's Buster Olney.

Pearce, who can play multiple positions, split last season between the Tampa Bay Rays and Baltimore Orioles, hitting .288 with 13 home runs and 35 RBI in 264 at bats.

Multiple reports had the Jays also talking to free agent first baseman Mitch Moreland on Monday.

Moreland, 30, has spent his entire career with the Texas Rangers and hit .233 with 22 home runs and 60 RBIs in 460 plate appearances last year. Moreland also won an AL Gold Glove for his defensive play last season.

It's unclear if the Pearce signing closes the door on Moreland.

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

just going to post that..welcome our new LF..:wacko:

The Toronto Blue Jays have signed Steve Pearce to a two-year, $12.5 million deal according to ESPN's Buster Olney.

Pearce, who can play multiple positions, split last season between the Tampa Bay Rays and Baltimore Orioles, hitting .288 with 13 home runs and 35 RBI in 264 at bats.

Multiple reports had the Jays also talking to free agent first baseman Mitch Moreland on Monday.

Moreland, 30, has spent his entire career with the Texas Rangers and hit .233 with 22 home runs and 60 RBIs in 460 plate appearances last year. Moreland also won an AL Gold Glove for his defensive play last season.

It's unclear if the Pearce signing closes the door on Moreland.

If it's unclear that is closes the door on Moreland, then its unclear for EE as well I guess. We better get Moreland or EE.

Edited by Xbox

I'm okay with Pearce. I think that 5/125 is too much term for Edwing (although I would have been down with 3/75)

The problem with thinking that we have to replace all of last season's production is that using HR/RBI numbers as your metric, the Jays would have to replace all of them, not just EE's. That means they'd need to cover Bats' and Saunders' as well. Morales covers some of that, but not all, meaning the Jays would need to sign another high priced run producer. I just don't think they have the budget for that.

This is why my thinking (and I believe coastal view's, as well) has swung towards replacing that production (at least in part) with the ability to manufacture runs and doing a better job of protecting leads. I believe that last season's production became necessary because the middle of the bull pen gave up too many leads (or wasn't able to keep a game close) after the starters left.

What everyone seems to be advocating here is spending more money just to get to a level that is not as good as last season and we've seen two playoffs in a row, that sitting back and looking for the 3 run homer isn't a recipe for success in the postseason.

This team needs a change of approach, not just because finances dictate, but because what they were doing could only take them so far. It's like Brad Pitt said in Moneyball: "Adapt, or die."

I think Pearce gives the Jays the flexibility they were looking for. He and Smoak could platoon at first, but Pearce can also play second and the outfield in a pinch. He's average just under 20 HRs just over 60 RBI per season over his career, so the power numbers are decent. I think the Jays can count on 20 dingers from the first base position next season, which granted, isn't great, but good enough, IMO, to complement the middle of the order.

Honestly, I would have preferred Moreland, because he's a lefty and an excellent defensive first baseman, but you can't have everything you want.

I'm hoping that Atkins and Shapiro focus on the bullpen and the leadoff spot now.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think Pearce gives the Jays the flexibility they were looking for. He and Smoak could platoon at first, but Pearce can also play second and the outfield in a pinch. He's average just under 20 HRs just over 60 RBI per season over his career, so the power numbers are decent. I think the Jays can count on 20 dingers from the first base position next season, which granted, isn't great, but good enough, IMO, to complement the middle of the order.

Honestly, I would have preferred Moreland, because he's a lefty and an excellent defensive first baseman, but you can't have everything you want.

I'm hoping that Atkins and Shapiro focus on the bullpen and the leadoff spot now.

They're still talking to Moreland... We need outfielders too and Pearce provides that.

Ken Rosenthal believes Paul Kinzer overplayed his hand declining the 4x20M contract offer.

Honestly all of this is on him for trying to take advantage of the Blue Jays by manipulating the media. I'd honestly be happy with Moreland at this point.

NYY,BOS and HOU have no interest in signing EE at this point and I highly doubt Toronto does. Even Texas doesn't seem that interested, but that could change if Toronto signs Moreland.

Edited by Xbox

31 minutes ago, Xbox said:

They're still talking to Moreland... We need outfielders too and Pearce provides that.

Yeah, but I'll be surprised if anything comes of it. In my mind, the Jays have finished up with the 1B/DH position and will now concentrate on areas of greater need.

They still need a leadoff guy. (and some bullpen help) Fowler might be too expensive, but Ian Desmond, or even Ben Revere would be okay in my books.

As they say...a non sexy move that falls into the Cleveland mold...platooning...Pearce good from one side of the plate....if they sign Mooreland they might be moving Smoak out for pitching help ..not what the fans were looking for but EE should of taken the 4x80...Im sure its off the table now.

2 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

As they say...a non sexy move that falls into the Cleveland mold...platooning...Pearce good from one side of the plate....if they sign Mooreland they might be moving Smoak out for pitching help ..not what the fans were looking for but EE should of taken the 4x80...Im sure its off the table now.

If that contract was offered today to EE, it would likely have been accepted. F*ck Paul Kinzer.

• Upvote 1

Not ecstatic over the move.  Pearce brings the benefit of position versatility but doesn't do much to break up all the righties in the order, right handed power isn't really what they needed.  Ah well, a prefer this over Moreland and in theory this gives the Jays money to improve other areas.