The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

14 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Bryant would make sense as "bounce-back" guy, and also fills the hole at 3rd?

I think last year was his bounce back season. 

He certainly won’t come cheap, but he would be way cheaper than the other big named options on the market. Somewhere between 20-25m per year. Hopefully, no more than a 4 year deal, when Bo and Vladdy become UFA’s

Edited by shiznak

Jays sign a reliever:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/report-blue-jays-sign-reliever-andrew-vasquez/ar-AAUXEXO?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The Toronto Blue Jays are on the board coming out of the MLB lockout

AAUXogU.img?h=810&w=1438&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

Toronto has agreed to terms with left-handed reliever Andrew Vasquez on a major-league deal, according to Sportsnet's Shi Davidi.

Vasquez has limited experience at the MLB level, with just 6.2 career innings under his belt. He made two appearances for the Los Angeles Dodgers last season, surrendering one unearned run with three strikeouts. 

The 28-year-old has flashed big strikeout potential in the minor leagues, racking up 79 punch-outs in just 48.1 innings in triple-A last season. He did struggle with his command, walking 4.5 batters per nine innings.

Toronto's bullpen was a weakness for the team in 2021, particularly before the mid-season additions of Adam Cimber and Trevor Richards. Vasquez doesn't figure to factor into a late-inning role — at least out of the gate — but gives manager Charlie Montoyo another left-handed relief option besides Tim Mayza and possibly Ryan Borucki.

Vasquez is not the first reliever the Blue Jays have acquired this offseason, landing Yimi Garcia and David Phelps before the lockout, with the latter inking a minor-league deal. Their biggest addition of the winter thus far has been signing starter Kevin Gausman to a five-year, $110 million contract to help offset the loss of Cy Young winner Robbie Ray.

Agents and rival teams don't expect the Blue Jays to close their wallets any time soon, with many anticipating another big splash in the coming days, per Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

The club still has a clear need in the infield after Marcus Semien's departure, with Cavan Biggio and Santiago Espinal currently pencilled in for everyday roles at second and third base, respectively. A left-handed bat or switch-hitter would be an ideal target to help provide balance to a primarily right-handed lineup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of tweets at link- one is comfirmation/details of this deal; the other is repeating the "Jays looking for a big offensive weapon"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Jays signed Yusei Kikuchi to a 3-yrs deal, 36M.

Had an awesome first half, last season. Made the All-Star team, but kind of fell off the cliff during the second half. If he can stay consistent the entire year. That Jays’ rotation looking mighty sexy.

Gausman

Berrios

Ryu

Manoah

Kikuchi

Edited by shiznak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Jays signed Yusei Kikuchi to a 3-yrs deal, 36M.

Had an awesome first half, last season. Made the All-Star team, but kind of fell off the cliff during the second half. If he can stay consistent the entire year. That Jays’ rotation looking mighty sexy.

Gausman

Berrios

Ryu

Manoah

Kikuchi

Pretty happy with this actually.....having Pearson and Stripling for insurance makes the rotation look pretty solid....

Now if they can just sign and infielder.....preferably a lefty.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/7/2022 at 6:36 PM, gurn said:

What are they going to do?

Put a colored dot in 3 spots in the out field and the player can't leave his dot, till the pitch is thrown?:unsure:

They're a lot more worried about infield shifts than they are outfield ones. 

On 3/11/2022 at 12:49 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

JB's quirky brand of humor is going to be awesome to watch alongside the Jays' core....

....that is, as soon as Vladdy, Bo and Teo figure it out....:lol:

If the Jays are going to be as good as everyone is predicting, then you'll probably/hopefully never get the chance too see him alongside the core. Because Biagini is trash, and if he makes the team, then the Jays bullpen will be a bigger weakness than they're already worried about it being.

10 hours ago, Drop Em said:

If the Jays are going to be as good as everyone is predicting, then you'll probably/hopefully never get the chance too see him alongside the core. Because Biagini is trash, and if he makes the team, then the Jays bullpen will be a bigger weakness than they're already worried about it being.

Ken Medlock's Landscape Photos - Wall Of Celebrities

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Pretty happy with this actually.....having Pearson and Stripling for insurance makes the rotation look pretty solid....

Now if they can just sign and infielder.....preferably a lefty.....

Correa or Bryant please

10 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Correa or Bryant please

I can't see CC moving to second or third and I think the Jays are set on Bichette being their Shortstop. Bryant makes more sense to me, but I'm still in the "trade for Jose Ramirez" camp....

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I can't see CC moving to second or third and I think the Jays are set on Bichette being their Shortstop. Bryant makes more sense to me, but I'm still in the "trade for Jose Ramirez" camp....

That's a more logical 

Ken Medlock's Landscape Photos - Wall Of Celebrities

Although it's a low risk signing, Biagini is dog**** and his stats prove it. 

I agree with that. Even though Bryant would be another righty bat, I like his versatility, because of the Jays poor outfield corner defense and the fact that Espinal can hold his own at 3rd. They have enough offense to carry Espinal's lack of power at 3B or at 2B if they decide to platoon him and Biggio there if they pick up a guy like Ramirez.

7 hours ago, Drop Em said:

Some people are overly sensitive. He's a really bad pitcher, and the stats and facts prove it.

Which is why it's a Minor league deal and is basically insurance, in case the bullpen has injury issues.

Some people are overly critical......

Looks like Freddie Freman won't be back in Atlanta this season....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/baseball/with-freeman-a-free-agent-braves-get-star-1b-olson-from-as/ar-AAV39Ht?li=AAggNb9

As much as I'd love to see FF in a Jays uniform, I don't think you can ask Vladdy to be a full time DH. Plus, Freddie is going to get paid. Too rich for a position that doesn't need addressing, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Looks like Freddie Freman won't be back in Atlanta this season....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/baseball/with-freeman-a-free-agent-braves-get-star-1b-olson-from-as/ar-AAV39Ht?li=AAggNb9

As much as I'd love to see FF in a Jays uniform, I don't think you can ask Vladdy to be a full time DH. Plus, Freddie is going to get paid. Too rich for a position that doesn't need addressing, IMO.

I don’t know how legit Carlos Baerga is, but he seem to think Freeman is going to the Jays. This is the same guy who broke the Semien signing last year, before anyone else.

FWIW, Vladdy has been practicing ground balls at 3B yesterday, but the coaches kind of brushed it off as “getting his legs in/strengthening his arm”. 

I mean, realistically we can sign him for no more than 4 years, since Vladdy and Bo won’t be UFAs until 2026. But considering he turned down a 5yrs deal from the Braves. I don’t see that happening

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I don’t know how legit Carlos Baerga is, but he seem to think Freeman is going to the Jays. This is the same guy who broke the Semien signing last year, before anyone else.

FWIW, Vladdy has been practicing ground balls at 3B yesterday, but the coaches kind of brushed it off as “getting his legs in/strengthening his arm”. 

I mean, realistically we can sign him for no more than 4 years, since Vladdy and Bo won’t be UFAs until 2026. But considering he turned down a 5yrs deal from the Braves. I don’t see that happening

I had a quick look through the remaining free agent list and the number of infielders with power that also bat left, is pretty thin....

I read somewhere that the Jays are kicking the tires on a Jonathan Villar reunion. It's kind of underwhelming, after talking about guys like Freeman and Bryant,, but he's a switch hitter and he can still run a bit.