The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

15 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

David Wright retired today. A true class act. So much respect for him and what he means to the mets organization. He even named his daughter Olivia Shea Wright, after the old Shea Stadium in Queens.

I tip my hat to you David on a career that was unfortunately cut short. Enjoy life after baseball

I don't think I'll ever forget the bare handed over the shoulder catch. Right up there with Mays, and three or four by Jim Edmonds, IMHO....

Terrific player. Too bad about all the injuries.

BTW: Russell Martin is going to manage the Jays in their season finale at the Trop today. Should be interesting.

Also saw DeMarlo going over a bunch of stuff with Pillar, so he might be the bench coach. (Or manager, if Martin gets tossed, which he totally should^_^)

It's good work, if you can get it. :lol:

Orioles' $161 million man finishes season with worst batting average in MLB history

The Baltimore Orioles have seen enough from Chris Davis this season. The once-feared hitter, whom Baltimore committed a whopping $161 million to prior to the 2016 season, will not play in any of the team’s final three games.

The decision is not injury related, according to reports from Baltimore. There’s simply no point in watching Davis struggle any more than they already have.

Davis, 32, will finish the season in a 1-for-37 slump. Worse yet, he will finish the season with the worst qualified batting average in Major League Baseball history. Davis finishes the season with a .168 batting average.

To be considered a qualified hitter, a batter must reach 502 plate appearances in a given season. That averages out to 3.1 plate appearances per team game. Davis is at 522. 

There’s no way around it. It’s the literal worst season we’ve ever seen from a big league hitter, and it comes just three years into Davis’ massive seven-year contract.

Past success

The 11-year veteran has always been an all-or-nothing hitter at the plate. He’s struck out at least 169 times each season dating back to 2012. His 1,696 career strikeouts are far more than this 1,099 career hits.

Davis has typically made up for the lack of contact with pure power. During that same time he’s hit 239 home runs, including a league-leading 53 in 2013 and 47 in 2015. It’s that power that prompted Baltimore to pay up once Davis hit free agency following the 2015 season.

What’s gone wrong?

The power hasn’t completely disappeared this season. Davis has 16 homers in 522 plate appearances, which is a number many players would take. Unfortunately, Davis has contributed next to nothing elsewhere, leading to a miserable .168/.243/.296 batting line. The next lowest qualified batting average in MLB history is .179, posted by Rob Deer in 1991 and Dan Uggla in 2013. With Davis needing a miraculous finish to even approach that number, the rebuilding Orioles have decided to get some young players at-bats in the final series.

What’s next for Chris Davis?

The Orioles obviously won’t be able to trade Davis like they have with several other veteran stars this season. They’ll have to hope the offseason will lead to adjustments and improvements next season. Otherwise, they’ll be facing a decision on whether to eat the large contract or use Davis in a reduced role. Neither would be ideal, and perhaps the Orioles already know their plan.

Chris Davis Day

Regardless, the Orioles will be paying Davis for a long time. As part of his contract, the Orioles will be paying him a yearly lump of $2.8 million every year from 2023 through 2037.

https://sports.yahoo.com/orioles-161-million-man-finishes-worst-batting-average-mlb-history-165415933.html

I seem to recall the Jays were kicking the tires on Davis when he was a "free" agent. Talk about dodging a major bullet.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

^^^^^^^

Rafael Palmeiro might still have a chance at a comeback at 1st base for the Orioles, now wouldn't that be a slap in the face to Davis a 54 year old man takes his position :lol:. Palmeiro did play this year with Cleburne Railroaders he actually played with his 28 year old son, the league is supposedly comparable to AA and Rafael hit .301 in 31 games, 6HR, 21RBI, 20BB, 25SO. He actually did not bad in a small sample size of games, put up decent numbers for being away from the game for as long as he has. 

You can check his stats here.

http://am-association.wttbaseball.pointstreak.com/team_stats.html?teamid=120887&seasonid=31274

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I am really nervous for the WC game tomorrow. So much so that I would consider Oakland the favourite. I do not like this Yankee team in a 1 game elimination. If just doesn't sit well with me

You have to like the pitching match-up if you're a Yankees fan, but yes, in a 1 game, winner-take-all, it can be very nerve wracking.

BTW: Did anyone see that odd story about Khris Davis hitting .247 for the 4th straight year? https://deadspin.com/khris-davis-hit-247-for-the-fourth-year-in-a-row-1829435582

How is that even possible?:blink:

BTW: I was glad to see the Rockies win last night. Chris Guccione gave Lester so many strikes that were off the plate, I thought the fix was in. Besides, Nolan Arenado is the best player that nobody ever talks about.

I'm firmly on the Brewers-Indians World Series bandwagon, but I also wouldn't be disappointed if the Rockies won.

Wasn't expecting the Dodgers to shut out the Braves in both games that shocked me, although the Dodgers seemed to be coming into the playoffs hot and Braves weren't, I'd be okay with that stupid chop only being used for 1 game :lol:. Milwaukee is a team to watch out for now, they're on some kind of tear like a new team over there, they could be that underdog who makes it to the World Series. 

On a side note regarding Milwaukee, Eric Thames is now a bench player with guys like Yelich playing so well, Cain, Braun in the OF, Thames has no spot anymore even 1B they didn't even include him in the Post Season roster, Jays should try and get him back.

Blue Jays’ Guerrero Jr. shines in Arizona Fall League debut

Toronto Blue Jays top-ranked prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. continues to ace every test put in front of him.

Guerrero Jr. went 3-for-5 with a pair of doubles and three RBIs in his Arizona Fall League debut Tuesday. The performance came in a losing effort as the Surprise Saguaros fell 10-8 to the Salt River Rafters.

Fellow Toronto prospect Cavan Biggio, getting some reps in the outfield during the Arizona Fall League to increase his defensive versatility, finished 1-for-4 with one RBI and a stolen base.

Infielder Santiago Espinal and pitchers Nate Pearson, Shawn Morimando, Zach Jackson and Jackson McClelland are other members of the Blue Jays organization suiting up for the Saguaros.

Guerrero Jr. led the minors in batting average (.381), slugging percentage (.636) and OPS (1.073) in 2018, splitting time between four levels of the Blue Jays’ system. He did not earn a September call-up to the majors despite the gaudy stats, with the Toronto front office citing the need for his continued growth on defence and as a teammate and leader.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-guerrero-jr-shines-arizona-fall-league-debut/

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

38 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

He did not earn a September call-up to the majors despite the gaudy stats, with the Toronto front office citing the need for his continued growth on defence and as a teammate and leader.

Had more to do with contract/protection/ team rights than the other stuff.

• Upvote 1

Toronto Blue Jays prospect Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has been named the winner of the Randall Echlin Award as the Canadian offensive minor-league player of the year.

The Randall Echlin Award is the latest honour Guerrero, who was also named Baseball America’s Minor League Player of the Year, MLB Pipeline Hitter of the Year and received Baseball America First-Team All-Star honours.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-guererro-jr-named-top-canadian-offensive-minor-league-player/

Wow I didn't know Machado was that much of a child just lost a lot of respect for him. He's all upset because the ump rang him up at the at bat before because he wanted time and the ump didn't give to him, then he tries to take out someone's ankle at 1B and try to injure them on purpose because he's frustrated and mad, give me a break, like I said lost a lot of respect for him after seeing that.

9 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wow I didn't know Machado was that much of a child just lost a lot of respect for him. He's all upset because the ump rang him up at the at bat before because he wanted time and the ump didn't give to him, then he tries to take out someone's ankle at 1B and try to injure them on purpose because he's frustrated and mad, give me a break, like I said lost a lot of respect for him after seeing that.

I agree. It was obviously intentional and suspension worthy, IMO. However, there's basically zero chance that MLB will do anything about it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. It was obviously intentional and suspension worthy, IMO. However, there's basically zero chance that MLB will do anything about it.

Yes you're right it should be suspension worthy, but the MLB won't unless he seriously hurts someone unfortunately. I like how they showed what he did the game before sliding into 2nd and trying to take out the double play he was way outside of the bag and put his hand up as well, at least the umps caught it and called them both out, but I never knew Machado was dirty/cheap like this, now I know why the Orioles traded him.

37 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes you're right it should be suspension worthy, but the MLB won't unless he seriously hurts someone unfortunately. I like how they showed what he did the game before sliding into 2nd and trying to take out the double play he was way outside of the bag and put his hand up as well, at least the umps caught it and called them both out, but I never knew Machado was dirty/cheap like this, now I know why the Orioles traded him.

Well....that and the fact that he was a pending free agent that brought a pretty decent return from the Dodgers...B)