The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

BC's James Paxton traded to Yankees

The New York Yankees have struck the first major trade of baseball’s offseason, acquiring Seattle Mariners ace lefty James Paxton in a deal that will solidify the front of their rotation while sending three-prospects to the rebuilding Mariners.

The Yankees are sending three prospects to Seattle in return, including left-handed pitcher Justus Sheffield, who is New York’s No. 1 prospect, according to MLB.com. Right-handed pitcher Erik Swanson and outfielder Dom Thompson-Williams are also going to Seattle.

https://sports.yahoo.com/yankees-acquire-star-pitcher-james-paxton-trade-mariners-224543574.html

This guy was literally in Langley on Saturday signing autographs at the first Western Canada Hockey Expo Card Show at Langley Events Centre. He probably liked playing in Seattle being so close to home, but this is the Yankees they always want the best and find ways to get them.

55 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I wonder if this means they won’t be re-signing Happ now.

Severino

Paxton

Tanaka

Gray

Sabathia

Last I heard they were interested in trading Gray, so they may still sign Happ if they trade Gray, but like you I was thinking the same regarding Happ now with adding Paxton, especially since Happ said about a week or two ago he would be very interested in signing with the Yanks since he enjoyed the playoffs.

35 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I was listening to the radio earlier and heard a clip of Shapiro saying that when we're done our rebuild/retool they're going to spend serious money on the team. Hope that's true.

Last week I think it was Atkins said he doesn't expect Vlad Guerrero Jr. to start the season with the Jays and still develop him more in the minors to make him more of a complete player still... Rebuild is going to take forever if they keep holding star players back, just going to piss them off and they'll what to be traded to another team eventually.

10 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Last week I think it was Atkins said he doesn't expect Vlad Guerrero Jr. to start the season with the Jays and still develop him more in the minors to make him more of a complete player still... Rebuild is going to take forever if they keep holding star players back, just going to piss them off and they'll what to be traded to another team eventually.

I’ll be upset if Vlad isn’t on our roster next year. Don’t wanna upset the next generation stars.

Apparently Boras even said it’s only for the rebuild and he expects Jays to be amongst the highest. Shapiro said they expect to be between 3rd-6th in overall and salary when the foundation is there

Edited by Xbox

14 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Shi Davidi was talking about this at the GM meetings. It has something to do with the years of service thing. The Jays are calling it "development" just so the reason isn't so obvious.

Don't worry about Vlad, though. Stephen Brunt asked him about it and his response was basically "I've waited my whole life to be an MLB player. What's another month or two?"

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Xbox said:

I’ll be upset if Vlad isn’t on our roster next year. Don’t wanna upset the next generation stars.

Apparently Boras even said it’s only for the rebuild and he expects Jays to be amongst the highest. Shapiro said they expect to be between 3rd-6th in overall and salary when the foundation is there

Will be interesting when that happens because by that time contracts for Martin and Tulo and Morales should be done and that frees up a lot of money, but this team will have a lot of youth at lower contracts, they'll definitely have a lot of money to spend when that day comes. If their plan works out I don't see them being that high on the payroll unless they plan to replace all their prospects with big salary players when that time comes, so not sure why they're saying that, imo they'll just have to add some players here and there to complete the team, but will have the money to do it.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Shi Davidi was talking about this at the GM meetings. It has something to do with the years of service thing. The Jays are calling it "development" just so the reason isn't so obvious.

Don't worry about Vlad, though. Stephen Brunt asked him about it and his response was basically "I've waited my whole life to be an MLB player. What's another month or two?"

That excuse worked for the last month of the season this year, but that excuse doesn't work for next year, so what their plan is to keep him in the minors all of next year again then? And save another year of his service... I think what you're reading and they're talking about was this year and the last month of the season, but I'm talking about next year, and there is no reason for him to be kept down next year for another year of service for his MLB contract for when it finally kicks in. He has proven offensively that he deserves to be up, maybe his defense at 3rd needs some more improvement, but during a rebuild he can work on that at the MLB level. 

What if McDavid or Mathews was kept down in the minors, because they felt they needed to work on their defensive game more even though they are monsters offensively and clearly can produce, the hockey world would lose their minds if they were kept down in the minors. I see the same with Vlad this guy is the #1 prospect for a reason, and if he isn't up with the Jays this coming year I will be very upset because it makes no sense to keep him down anymore he deserves to be up in the bigs.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

That excuse worked for the last month of the season this year, but that excuse doesn't work for next year, so what their plan is to keep him in the minors all of next year again then? And save another year of his service... I think what you're reading and they're talking about was this year and the last month of the season, but I'm talking about next year, and there is no reason for him to be kept down next year for another year of service for his MLB contract for when it finally kicks in. He has proven offensively that he deserves to be up, maybe his defense at 3rd needs some more improvement, but during a rebuild he can work on that at the MLB level. 

What if McDavid or Mathews was kept down in the minors, because they felt they needed to work on their defensive game more even though they are monsters offensively and clearly can produce, the hockey world would lose their minds if they were kept down in the minors. I see the same with Vlad this guy is the #1 prospect for a reason, and if he isn't up with the Jays this coming year I will be very upset because it makes no sense to keep him down anymore he deserves to be up in the bigs.

If he doesn't join the 40 man roster until sometime in mid-may (I think, could be late April), the Blue Jays control Vlad Jr. for an extra year.  Just one of the quirks of the MLB service clock.  So, the plan wouldn't be for the entire year.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If he doesn't join the 40 man roster until sometime in mid-may (I think, could be late April), the Blue Jays control Vlad Jr. for an extra year.  Just one of the quirks of the MLB service clock.  So, the plan wouldn't be for the entire year.

Cubs did the same thing with Bryant a couple years back despite him having a stellar spring training. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Nope. Wilbur more or less explained it.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Wow didn't know that one this is getting ridiculous then if they drag it just for that, let the kid play.

11 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wow didn't know that one this is getting ridiculous then if they drag it just for that, let the kid play.

Gotta disagree there Chuck. If keeping Vlad on the farm for the first month of the season gives the team an extra year of control, it's a no-brainer to do it. And, as I already pointed out, Gurerro himself is on record being okay with it.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Will be interesting when that happens because by that time contracts for Martin and Tulo and Morales should be done and that frees up a lot of money, but this team will have a lot of youth at lower contracts, they'll definitely have a lot of money to spend when that day comes. If their plan works out I don't see them being that high on the payroll unless they plan to replace all their prospects with big salary players when that time comes, so not sure why they're saying that, imo they'll just have to add some players here and there to complete the team, but will have the money to do it.

We will see what happens. Hopefully Bo and Vlad are surrounded by talent. 

I'm also disappointed because I was looking at our contracts and I thought 2019 was Tulo's last year here. Didn't realize he was signed through 2020.

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

I'm also disappointed because I was looking at our contracts and I thought 2019 was Tulo's last year here. Didn't realize he was signed through 2020.

I think the best we can hope for with Tulo is that he gets healthy at some point in the season and is able to contribute in a meaningful way. Then, hopefully, he could be moved to a contender at the deadline. (with the team eating some of the salary, of course)

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gotta disagree there Chuck. If keeping Vlad on the farm for the first month of the season gives the team an extra year of control, it's a no-brainer to do it. And, as I already pointed out, Gurerro himself is on record being okay with it.

Yeah just read it's 3 weeks I guess I can live with that, any longer though :angry:

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Xbox said:

If prospects pan out and things go as planned, they're expecting by 2020-21 to be competitive, so a couple years and those contacts will be gone or luckily a trade. But I feel by around 2022-23 they better be favorites to win, and that gives Shatkins some time to get the right pieces to surround Vlad and other top prospects to be legit contenders.

• Like 1