The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

On 12/11/2018 at 6:29 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Good to see today, sucks we don't get anything in return, but good for allowing the good young skilled players the opportunity to play over someone who is not as good anymore. Definitely a wake up call to some of the older guys, stay healthy and produce or you maybe out of a job.

Out of a job with a nice parting gift in the form of cash, lots of it. Tulo is a super competitive guy and I’m sure he’d love to keep playing but there’d be no shame in him hanging them up now. He’s had a helluva career. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/11/2018 at 6:29 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Good to see today, sucks we don't get anything in return, but good for allowing the good young skilled players the opportunity to play over someone who is not as good anymore. Definitely a wake up call to some of the older guys, stay healthy and produce or you maybe out of a job.

Out of a job with a nice parting gift in the form of cash, lots of it. Tulo is a super competitive guy and I’m sure he’d love to keep playing but there’d be no shame in him hanging them up now. He’s had a helluva career. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I did or do like the guy, but it's obvious he's on the decline, but he is going to try and give it one more shot and heck I do hope he finds success because I do like him, just if it doesn't work out hopefully he doesn't drag it out, and like you said just hangs them up.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I did or do like the guy, but it's obvious he's on the decline, but he is going to try and give it one more shot and heck I do hope he finds success because I do like him, just if it doesn't work out hopefully he doesn't drag it out, and like you said just hangs them up.

I’d hate to see him ride pine and toil in mediocrity just to hold on to career. If he catches on somewhere I really hope it works out. He was one of my favourite players growing up and I was fired up when the Jays got him, even if it was s couple years past his prime. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Happ signed with Yankees for 2 years

Pretty sure there was an option year at the same money. Can't remember, but I'd guess it was a team option. The third year was apparently what was holding up the contract talks.

8 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’d hate to see him ride pine and toil in mediocrity just to hold on to career. If he catches on somewhere I really hope it works out. He was one of my favourite players growing up and I was fired up when the Jays got him, even if it was s couple years past his prime. 

Yeah, I've heard people lament that the move was made, given the amount still owed and the injury problems, but IMO, AA made the right move for the team at the time.

We'll still never know what might have happened, if Bats and Goins hadn't gotten their signals crossed on that pop-up against the Royals....

• Cheers 1

Tribe deal Encarnacion to Mariners

https://www.tsn.ca/tribe-deal-encarnacion-to-mariners-1.1225787

The Seattle Mariners have acquired first baseman and designated hitter Edwin Encarnacion from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for Carlos Santana.

The Mariners also received a compensatory Round B draft pick from Cleveland in the trade.

Encarnacion, 35, has spent the past two seasons with Cleveland. He posted a .246 average last season with 32 home runs and 107 RBI.

A veteran of 14 MLB seasons - including seven-plus with the Toronto Blue Jays - Encarnacion has a career average of .264 with 380 home runs and 1,156 RBI.

Santana, 32, posted a .229 average with 24 home runs and 86 RBI last season with the Philadelphia Phillies. He was traded to the Mariners on Dec. 3 along with J.P. Crawfordfor Juan NicasioJames Pazos and Jean Segura.

The Indians made a separate trade with the Tampa Bay Rays at the same time, acquiring first baseman Jake Bauers in exchange for infielder Yandy Diaz and minor-leaguer Cole Sulser.

Bauers played in 96 games for the Rays last season, finishing with a .316 on-base percentage, .384 slugging percentage, with 11 home runs and 48 RBIs.

Diaz played in 39 games for Cleveland last season, finishing with a .375 on-base percentage, .422 slugging percentage, one home run, and 15 RBIs.

Wow, Encarnacion goes from a contender to what is an equivalent to minor league team! I don't get this trade from a Seattle standpoint?

Edited by TheRick

4 minutes ago, TheRick said:

Wow, Encarnacion goes from a contender to what is an equivalent to minor league team! I don't get this trade from a Seattle standpoint?

Seattle wants a high quality guy, and still damn fine player to mentor all their up and coming prospects?

6 hours ago, TheRick said:

I agree I feel bad for EE now because I like him, and now he's on a rebuild team not playing for the playoffs, what a slap in EE face.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Colorado is supposedly wanting to make a trade for Smoak, I say do it, I've liked Tellez at that spot so far and he seems capable of playing 1B, definitely feel comfortable with Tellez there if we lose Smoak.

If they can land a piece that helps the team in the near future, I agree. As much as I like Smoaky, this is a classic "sell high" situation.

Rowdy can handle 1st and if he slumps, or needs a rest, I'd bet the farm that Martin can play there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If they can land a piece that helps the team in the near future, I agree. As much as I like Smoaky, this is a classic "sell high" situation.

Rowdy can handle 1st and if he slumps, or needs a rest, I'd bet the farm that Martin can play there.

Yup.  Got to build for the future.  

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/report-blue-jays-padres-engaged-in-marcus-stroman-trade-talks/ar-BBRjzMW?ocid=spartandhp

The Toronto Blue Jays and San Diego Padres are reportedly engaged in trade talks surrounding Blue Jays starting pitcher Marcus Stroman, according to MLB.com’s Jon Morosi.

Stroman, 27, is under team control until 2020, but is coming off his worst MLB season where he posted a 5.54 ERA and 1.476 WHIP in 19 starts. However, Morosi notes that Stroman may benefit from moving to a pitcher-friendly ball park in San Diego.

Morosi adds that if a deal were to transpire San Diego, who has a very deep farm system, likely won’t include their top prospects in the trade. Instead, the team’s seventh and eight ranked prospects according to MLB pipeline, pitchers Michel Baez and Logan Allen, could be headed back to Toronto.

A.J. Cassavell, who covers the Padres for MLB.com, added to Morosi’s report by tweeting that the Padres have asked the Blue Jays about Stroman, but added that “nothing’s close right now.”

I started thinking the other day of injuries to the Jays mostly the infielders, and maybe the turf the Jays use are actually causing injuries to their players. There is only two stadiums that use turf anymore, the Jays and the Rays, but it seems the infielders for the Jays continue to get lower body injuries and I'm starting to wonder if the turf they use is the result of them. Devon Travis is one of them with knee injuries, and maybe the impact on the turf is to much for the joints and not soft enough like grass. Tulo obviously no longer a Jay, but I don't remember him having issues on his lower body in Colorado but as soon as he became a Jay and played on their field injuries just kept coming for him, first it was his hamstring, then his groin and then his ankles, all lower body injuries and I wonder if the turf had something to do with it. So that's 2nd base, and SS players, what about 3rd base oh yeah Donaldson let me guess lower body injury? Yup. Calf injuries what's new, a lower body injury to an infielder. Just wondering if I'm seeing a trend due to the turf the Jays use, maybe what's causing them to have all these lower body injuries.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I started thinking the other day of injuries to the Jays mostly the infielders, and maybe the turf the Jays use are actually causing injuries to their players. There is only two stadiums that use turf anymore, the Jays and the Rays, but it seems the infielders for the Jays continue to get lower body injuries and I'm starting to wonder if the turf they use is the result of them. Devon Travis is one of them with knee injuries, and maybe the impact on the turf is to much for the joints and not soft enough like grass. Tulo obviously no longer a Jay, but I don't remember him having issues on his lower body in Colorado but as soon as he became a Jay and played on their field injuries just kept coming for him, first it was his hamstring, then his groin and then his ankles, all lower body injuries and I wonder if the turf had something to do with it. So that's 2nd base, and SS players, what about 3rd base oh yeah Donaldson let me guess lower body injury? Yup. Calf injuries what's new, a lower body injury to an infielder. Just wondering if I'm seeing a trend due to the turf the Jays use, maybe what's causing them to have all these lower body injuries.

I certainly think so. The "grass" is pretty bad too. Not sure if you've ever been to Rogers Centre but it really isn't a nice stadium.

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I certainly think so. The "grass" is pretty bad too. Not sure if you've ever been to Rogers Centre but it really isn't a nice stadium.

I guess they did change it to an all dirt infield around the bases, but still turf grass inside and the outfield. No I've never been, but actually had family go this year and said it's a concrete dump lol.

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I guess they did change it to an all dirt infield around the bases, but still turf grass inside and the outfield. No I've never been, but actually had family go this year and said it's a concrete dump lol.

That's pretty accurate lol. It's so far behind the Air Canada Centre and BMO Field for sport venues. Rogers Centre isn't a first choice for concert venues either. The Jays are renovating Dunedin so hopefully Rogers Centre is next. Tim and Sid we're talking about it with Shapiro this week. Actually a great watch because they asked Shapiro some tough questions.