The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

One "under the radar" bit of good news for the Jays this weekend....although Bryce Miller and Logan Gilbert both have decent numbers, the Jays won't be facing George Kirby or Luis Castillo....

Of course, the flip side of that is we have Kikuchi, Gausman and Manoah throwing. I think a lot will depend on how Kuch looks tonight and weather Manoah can at least be better than Bryan Woo in game three (1-2, 4.74 ERA)

Reading a report that says the Jays have traded for lefty reliever, Genesis Cabrera from the Cardinals. https://www.mlb.com/player/genesis-cabrera-650893 The numbers don't blow you away, but the average fastball is 96 MPH and he strikes out just over one batter per inning. Looks like a possible alternative to Mayza.

Toronto gave up a minor-league catcher named Sammy Hernandez, who is currently playing Rookie Ball and was not listed among the Jays' top 40 prospects.

Also of note, someone has to be moved off the 40 man roster to make room for Cabrera.....can you say "Mitch White"?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Reading a report that says the Jays have traded for lefty reliever, Genesis Cabrera from the Cardinals. https://www.mlb.com/player/genesis-cabrera-650893 The numbers don't blow you away, but the average fastball is 96 MPH and he strikes out just over one batter per inning. Looks like a possible alternative to Mayza.

Toronto gave up a minor-league catcher named Sammy Hernandez, who is currently playing Rookie Ball and was not listed among the Jays' top 40 prospects.

Also of note, someone has to be moved off the 40 man roster to make room for Cabrera.....can you say "Mitch White"?

Ahh yes another Mitch White type low end reliever exactly what we need :picard:

36 minutes ago, Pears said:

Ahh yes another Mitch White type low end reliever exactly what we need :picard:

Actually, I don't think he's much like White at all.

Mitch White is a long reliever. Someone to pick up innings if the score is out of hand one way or another. The vibe I get from Cabrera is a 6th or 7th inning guy who comes in to face the likes of Devers, Verdugo and Yoshida....right now, Mayza is the only guy we have for that job and if he's pitched the prior game, Schneider and Walker didn't have another lefty option.

Who knows what Hernandez will turn out to be, but dealing a 19 year-old that was drafted in the 14th round is a pretty low risk move, IMO....

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The number that stuck out to me when I looked up Cabrera’s stats was the walk totals. Those numbers are not pretty. 

That said, we’ve had some luck turning around LHP’s in the past (Happ, Ray, etc) so maybe this works out. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

The number that stuck out to me when I looked up Cabrera’s stats was the walk totals. Those numbers are not pretty. 

That said, we’ve had some luck turning around LHP’s in the past (Happ, Ray, etc) so maybe this works out. 

Yeah, he could be a bust for sure....that being said, it's still a low risk deal for an asset that the Jays were lacking....

• Cheers 1

This team really misses Teo. He provided a spark and provided protection in the lineup that they really miss.

If they are looking for a bat how about Cody Bellinger? He seems to have figured it out after his last three miserable years in LA. Cubs have to be in sell mode.

That was one of the worst management game by Schneider.

- Pulling Kikuchi when he was cooking. Could have saved Richards/Swanson for the 7th and 8th.

- Pitch hitting Kirk for Varsho, with the bases loaded and only one out. Kirk has been a ground ball machine this season. I would much rather have Luplow up there than Kirk.

- Not intentionally walking Teo.

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This team really misses Teo. He provided a spark and provided protection in the lineup that they really miss.

If they are looking for a bat how about Cody Bellinger? He seems to have figured it out after his last three miserable years in LA. Cubs have to be in sell mode.

Wonder what it would take to get both Bellinger and Stroman.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Wonder what it would take to get both Bellinger and Stroman.

Not sure it matters this year. IMO Baltimore is the team to beat in the AL and the Jays are 1-5 against the O's. Plus the O's have a very deep prospect pool and can use that to beef up at the deadline.

Baltimore in the AL and Atlanta in the NL. The Jays are way behind both of them.

Edited by nuckin_futz

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not sure it matters this year. IMO Baltimore is the team to beat in the AL and the Jays are 1-5 against the O's. Plus the O's have a very deep prospect pool and can use that to beef up at the deadline.

Baltimore in the AL and Atlanta in the NL. The Jays are way behind both of them.

I agree, but if management wants a rental to upgrade the offence then they better go all-in and fix the pitching too instead of half-assing it and wasting assets.  Doing nothing is probably the best option though.

I'm still mad that we lost AA to Atlanta.

Edited by King Heffy

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I agree, but if management wants a rental to upgrade the offence then they better go all-in and fix the pitching too instead of half-assing it and wasting assets.  Doing nothing is probably the best option though.

I'm still mad that we lost AA to Atlanta.

The lineup that AA has assembled in Atlanta is scary. They're never really out of a game even if down 5-6 runs early on. They have so much power it's ridiculous.

What could have been in TO.