The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

7 hours ago, Pears said:

You can certainly blame him for not telling them to make adjustments when necessary. 

The onus is on the players on the field. How do you know he hasn’t been telling them?

He’s won with the core guys (Bichette, Vladdy, Jansen, Romano, Biggio, etc) in A-ball and Triple-A, before. It’s not his fault, that his team is massively underperforming, when it comes to hitting with RISP.

His management in games isn’t perfect, but neither is every other coach in the league. Terry Francona is probably the best coach in the majors, but even he has made some boneheaded decisions that cost his team games. Like bringing in the wrong reliever or not starting his ace, when available, because he wanted to save him for the opener for the next round.

Edited by shiznak

I was critical of Schneider's in-game management in the 5-4 loss to the Nats (especially not pinch running for Kirk) but I'm not sure what he should have done differently in the loss to the Rockies....

It was obvious that Kikuchi was having trouble throwing the fastball for strikes, but his offense spotted him 5 runs and he was close to getting through 5 innings with no damage. As inconsistent as he was, if not for poor defense, he would have left the game with a shutout.

The thing with the poor RISP numbers is that it's pretty much the entire team. We tend to blame Vladdy because he kills so many rallies by hitting into DPs, but it would take a bold manager indeed, to give Vladimir Guererro Jr the hook and bring in Ernie Clement...

I think the hitters absolutely need to swing at better pitches when they have runners in scoring position, but I'd bet the farm that they are being told this on a daily basis. Some guys just have a swing first mentality and with the odd exception (Merrifield, Belt) the Jays' roster is loaded with them.

A perfect example of what being more selective does for a team is the Orioles. A while back, I saw an article that showed the Jays and Os offensive numbers were actually fairly similar, except that Baltimore was far better hitting with RISP. Every time I see them play, it's obvious to me that they are more selective at the plate than TO is....and the record reflects that.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1