The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I disagree with him completely. In fact, I'm getting a bit tired of all of these fossils constantly lamenting the loss of "integrity" of the game. (And that's speaking as a fossil myself)

As someone who's old enough to remember Gossage as a player, I can say without reservation that the Goose wouldn't think twice about drilling an opposing batter in the ribs for having the audacity to take him deep on a previous at bat. I also recall several instances where he showed plenty of emotion on the mound. In this case, "integrity" is in the eye of the beholder.

It seems like the old guard of MLB would prefer that the league revert to the "good old days". The problem is, some people aren't sure that the old days were all that "good". 

Do we want to go back to when Ben Chapman taunted Jackie Robinson with racial slurs? Do we pine for an era when Peter Rose ended Ray Fosse's career with an unnecessary take out in an all-star game? How about Ty Cobb's predilection for sliding with his "studs up"?

IMHO, this is just a dinosaur former pitcher who doesn't like the fact that batters sometimes show emotion after hitting big home runs. Time for Gossage to slide back into obscurity where he belongs.

I guess Goose forgot about his teammate Reggie Jackson's act.

Edwin Encarnacion took part in batting practice before Friday’s game against the Red Sox and continues to progress toward his first Grapefruit League game this spring.

“I’m going to hit Sunday, (batting practice) outside; Monday off; Tuesday BP again and Wednesday or Thursday (I’ll be) playing,” he explained.

Encarnacion added that the delayed start isn’t the result of prescribed regimen like those given to Jose Bautista or Troy Tulowitzki, but more about the abscessed tooth he had removed on February 29.

That must have been one hell of an abscessed tooth..2 weeks..I have had many over my lifetime and never missed any work..take the anti biotics or get it pulled and carry on.

17 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Edwin Encarnacion took part in batting practice before Friday’s game against the Red Sox and continues to progress toward his first Grapefruit League game this spring.

“I’m going to hit Sunday, (batting practice) outside; Monday off; Tuesday BP again and Wednesday or Thursday (I’ll be) playing,” he explained.

Encarnacion added that the delayed start isn’t the result of prescribed regimen like those given to Jose Bautista or Troy Tulowitzki, but more about the abscessed tooth he had removed on February 29.

That must have been one hell of an abscessed tooth..2 weeks..I have had many over my lifetime and never missed any work..take the anti biotics or get it pulled and carry on.

It depends on how long it is let go. At a certain point, it makes you sick like the worst flu you've ever had.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It depends on how long it is let go. At a certain point, it makes you sick like the worst flu you've ever had.

I have had some pretty bad ones..my teeth have been a problem for me all my life..2 weeks is about healing time of open heart surgery..you  dont let it go that long??

But then I was never a multi million dollar pro athlete either.

Edited by ShakyWalton

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

I have had some pretty bad ones..my teeth have been a problem for me all my life..2 weeks is about healing time of open heart surgery..you  dont let it go that long??

When I was in my 20s I traveled western Canada with a rock band. I lost a filling while I was out on the road and since the cost of having it repaired was out of the question, (we averaged about $200/week) I just had to suffer through it until the root finally died.

When it flared up (every few weeks, for a few days) I honestly felt like I was going to die.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

When I was in my 20s I traveled western Canada with a rock band. I lost a filling while I was out on the road and since the cost of having it repaired was out of the question, (we averaged about $200/week) I just had to suffer through it until the root finally died.

When it flared up (every few weeks, for a few days) I honestly felt like I was going to die.

yes,, there is nothing worse than toothaches..my wife would heat up plates in the oven and wrap them in a tea towel to hold against my face...painful stuff....I guess if the poison from the abscess goes through your body you could be in trouble.

Add Marcus Stroman to the list of younger players who feel differently than the Goose fossil.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-stroman-comes-defence-brother-bautista/

Stroman met with media members wearing a ‘Joey Flippin Bats’ t-shirt – a clear show of support for Bautista the day after Hall of Fame closer Goose Gossage called theToronto Blue Jays right-fielder a “f—ing disgrace” to baseball.

“That’s my brother, man,” Stroman said of Bautista. “That’s my guy. I’ll back him up about anything. He’s one of my role models. He’s one of my mentors. He’s taken me under his wing from day one and I see what he does on and off the field with how he trains and how he goes about his business and he does it professionally and he works harder than anyone in the league. I’m a huge fan of Joey Bats. I think you have to adapt to the times.”

Stroman often shows emotion on the mound, pumping his fist or pointing at teammates after big moments. So he disagrees when the likes of Gossage suggest players need to tone it down. Count Stroman among those who agree when Harper says baseball needs energy, not conformity.

“I’m pretty emotional out there,” Stroman said. “I have a lot to prove, so I’m going to continue to be emotional, regardless of what anybody says. It’s something I pride myself on.”

“I’m a huge supporter of Bryce,” he continued. “I talked to him last night and I told him that I respect and I agree with everything that he said. I’m 100 per cent certain that he’s accurate in the comments he made. That’s just how it is. We have a young wave of guys in the big leagues and the game’s getting really exciting. It’s fun.”

Edited by RUPERTKBD

From what I have been seeing, lots of pitchers are the ones who don't like it which is understandable. But it goes both ways I'm sure batters don't like seeing pitchers celebrate when they strike them out. There will always be 2 sides to the issue, personally there is a time and place for these antics to happen.

You don't do these kind of things when your blowing out another team, or in the start or middle of the season. And I think players know this and to why you don't see it all the time, unless it's maybe extra innings to win a game. Times when I expect to see these kind of celebrations are in the Playoffs of course and near the end of the season, when teams are playing to make the playoffs especially in close games. Emotions are something everyone has and sometimes you just want to let it out, I think they should be allowed for the right situations. 

As for Bautista and his bat thing, I don't see anything wrong for it because of the situation it was, game was intense and it's playoffs emotions are high. Now if he did something like that in the middle of the season, I don't think I would support it because it's not necessary.

Update: Strasburg, Harper's teammate has said he doesn't like it go figure a pitcher. Ben Revere, which this one kind of caught me a little off guard, basically implied he didn't like how Bautista did his bat toss in the playoffs. He did say he would support his teammate, but if it was on another team he wouldn't agree with it.  "I'll say this, if you hit a 600-foot home run, you can pimp it all you want. If you get mad, then that's on you. But if you hit a home run and it goes maybe to the second or third row and you bat flip, I don't know," Revere said.

http://www.thescore.com/news/981556

54 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Kinda came out of nowhere this spring training. Was a Jays draft pick 11th round 349th overall in 2011. He's only 25 years old so there could still be something there.

Ha. Love your name. Too funny. Cheers bro    Edit - showed the wife. Loves it. 

Edited by YummyCakeFace
  • Upvote 1

So Bautista wants money and long contract, EE just said he wants a long contract and if it's not long he won't even talk about money.

I think next year Blue Jays will have only 1 of these 2 players, Jose or Edwin. Who knows maybe they will pull a Canucks and lose them both(Lu/Sch). Personally I'm ok with either or, being here as a DH only role. I just don't see them both being here after this year.

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2016 at 0:37 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So Bautista wants money and long contract, EE just said he wants a long contract and if it's not long he won't even talk about money.

I think next year Blue Jays will have only 1 of these 2 players, Jose or Edwin. Who knows maybe they will pull a Canucks and lose them both(Lu/Sch). Personally I'm ok with either or, being here as a DH only role. I just don't see them both being here after this year.

Actually, I think both Joey Bats and EE are gone after season if not before should things should south and bad.

Contract talks with EE have stalled. Don't think they have any intention of them trying to keep either of them. They will make some low offers to both knowing they won't accept it, and will say they tried to keep them for PR. Much like they did with Price.

21 hours ago, the last outlaw said:

Actually, I think both Joey Bats and EE are gone after season if not before should things should south and bad.

Contract talks with EE have stalled. Don't think they have any intention of them trying to keep either of them. They will make some low offers to both knowing they won't accept it, and will say they tried to keep them for PR. Much like they did with Price.

Well at least they will offer a contract too them then, something they didn't even do for Price...

On 17 March, 2016 at 2:47 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well at least they will offer a contract too them then, something they didn't even do for Price...

Price was always going to cost north of 30 million a year. I think letting Price walk was the right move. We were able to spread out that 30 million of cap space and apply it to more than just one roster spot that pitches every 5 games. With EE and Bautista there are variables included that would indicate their future annual cap hit on a new contract could be in the blue jays territory. Also both publicly stating they want to finish their careers here. I'd be surprised if they don't retain at least one of them. Going forward I'm just not sure how wise it would be to sign both Bautista and EE to play 1rst and DH.