The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Anyone find it odd and funny that Jose is pricing himself out of Toronto now that the team is good again? There's been speculation we wouldn't be able to keep one of our big guys past 2016, but this man made the decision easy. 

David Ortiz is retiring at seasons end, my bet is Boston throws money at Jose to be their new DH. I honestly think he'll be on Boston next year.

I also dont see Edwin Encarnacion going anywhere. 

Edited by Xbox

28 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Anyone find it odd and funny that Jose is pricing himself out of Toronto now that the team is good again? There's been speculation we wouldn't be able to keep one of our big guys past 2016, but this man made the decision easy. 

David Ortiz is retiring at seasons end, my bet is Boston throws money at Jose to be their new DH. I honestly think he'll be on Boston next year.

First of all, we don't don't know for sure what the price is. He's denied the 30 million report.

That being said, if the Red Sox overpay him next season, I'll consider that a win for the Jays. Jose still has some good years left in him, but it's my opinion that the decline starts now, just as it will for David Price.

Sometimes these management decisions are frustrating, but they have to be made for the long-term future of the team. I don't blame AA for what the Jays did at the deadline last year. The team had a legitimate shot at a championship and it made sense to go for it. However, you have to look at the situation sans emotional attachments. The Jays still have plenty of offense and even if they lose both Jose and Edwing, will have money to add a bat next year.

Meanwhile, they should be focused on pitching. 

Im assuming it's close to that 5x30M mark. He's made it clear he's upset that he outplayed his last contract and seeks proper compensation without the willingness to negotiate. Listening to his comments and the way he's been conducting the whole situation is upsetting. That homer got to his head. His good years in the outfield are gone IMO, so the DH role (or even 1B) on BOS makes sense.

Im more optimistic about our pitching than most it seems, but I have a lot of faith in Sanchez. Combine that with our offence and I think we'll be fine. 

I hope BOS overpays him. I still think we keep Edwing though.

Edited by Xbox

8 hours ago, Xbox said:

Totally can see it happening. Either Boston or Yankees throw a pile of $$$ at Joey Bats. Not to mention Price is in Boston too and John Farrell.  The reason why Jose has done this is mainly because he's pissed off with ownership being cheap, and don't blame in him the least. Jays obviously won't pay what he's asking, so they would be wise to move him now as opposed to going through entire season with unhappy Joey Bats.

40 minutes ago, the last outlaw said:

Totally can see it happening. Either Boston or Yankees throw a pile of $$$ at Joey Bats. Not to mention Price is in Boston too and John Farrell.  The reason why Jose has done this is mainly because he's pissed off with ownership being cheap, and don't blame in him the least. Jays obviously won't pay what he's asking, so they would be wise to move him now as opposed to going through entire season with unhappy Joey Bats.

I agree. Price is the main reason why I think Boston would be his future team. He's so right about Rogers though. 

Found this interesting from Scott MacArthur about the Jays pitching rotation and staff this year...there are alot of moving parts according to him..

For the purposes of brevity and clarity, here’s what we know:

Four of the five spots in the starting rotation are taken. They’ll go to Marcus Stroman, Marco Estrada, R.A. Dickey and J.A. Happ.

Also, six relievers have laid claim to bullpen spots, leaving one or two available. Roberto Osuna, Drew Storen, Brett Cecil, Jesse Chavez, Aaron Loup and Gavin Floyd are in. Chavez and Floyd also are contenders for the rotation but they go on this list for the moment because, barring the unforeseen in Floyd’s case, both will make the opening day roster.

Conspicuous by his absence above is Aaron Sanchez, who will be on the team in a yet-to-be-determined role. To repeat: no decision has been made on Sanchez. He’ll be stretched out this spring but he’ll have to earn a starting job. If Sanchez ends up back in the bullpen, where he’s excelled in the second halves of the last two seasons, the club doesn’t believe it would doom the 23-year-old to a lifetime of relief work.

Sanchez is the key because the dominos fall based this decision. If he’s a starter, Chavez and Floyd go to the bullpen and Drew Hutchison, last year’s opening day starter, gets optioned to Triple-A Buffalo. It doesn’t sound like Hutchison will be a consideration for the big league bullpen.

If Sanchez is put in the bullpen, Hutchison wins the final starting job and the Jays go with seven relievers, they’re set numbers wise and would have a nasty four-headed monster – Osuna, Storen and Cecil – to work late in games.

If Hutchison is sent to Buffalo, Floyd or Chavez would get the final rotation spot and veterans David Aardsma and Steve Delabar would be in competition with the likes of Joe Biagini, switch-pitcher Pat Venditte, left-hander Wade LeBlanc and submariner Ben Rowen for the available bullpen slot.

Floyd is an interesting case. The 33-year-old was a solid mid-rotation pitcher for the White Sox from 2008 to 2012 before suffering a series of arm problems during the last three seasons, including having Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery. One observer of the early bullpen sessions said Floyd has been “throwing the hell out of the ball.”

Another decision which hasn’t been made is who will be the closer. Storen, who had 95 saves in almost six full big league seasons with Washington, and the Jays’ incumbent, Roberto Osuna, will vie for the job. Osuna has earned the right to lose the closer’s job but Storen, despite saying the right things publicly and privately, surely would like to rack up the saves as he looks ahead to his first shot at free agency next fall.

It doesn’t seem as though Osuna’s workload will factor into the decision-making process. The thought of giving him an earlier role, in order to stretch him into a five or six-out pitcher in certain high-leverage situations to help increase his innings over the 70 he worked last season, won’t be the main consideration. Osuna has had one Tommy John surgery, at the age of 18, and he’s considered high-risk for another due to his mechanics.

Osuna has the stuff to be a big league starting pitcher today; he could, however, end up being a career reliever in order to preserve his health. Regardless of which direction the Jays take Osuna, the club expects him to thrive.

Meantime, Marcus Stroman has been named the opening day starter … of Grapefruit League play. Manager John Gibbons announced Stroman would get the ball against the Phillies in Clearwater on Tuesday.

While there’s been no formal announcement on who will start the regular season opener on April 3 in Tampa Bay, all signs point to Stroman.

I think Boston would be more interested in Edwin than Bautista, for Ortiz's replacement. They're pretty much set in the outfield with Betts, Bradley Jr., and Young. Plus, Bautista was adamant about being a everyday DH. As for the Yankees, I also doubt they would want Bautista. They already have a ton of guys over the age of 35 with huge contracts. Not sure if Cashman will want to add another one.

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

I think Boston would be more interested in Edwin than Bautista, for Ortiz's replacement. They're pretty much set in the outfield with Betts, Bradley Jr., and Young. Plus, Bautista was adamant about being a everyday DH. As for the Yankees, I also doubt they would want Bautista. They already have a ton of guys over the age of 35 with huge contracts. Not sure if Cashman will want to add another one.

I doubt they get the opportunity to have a choice. We'll re-sign EE and they'll go after Bats.

20 hours ago, Xbox said:

I doubt they get the opportunity to have a choice. We'll re-sign EE and they'll go after Bats.

I doubt the Jays will sign either Bautista or Edwin. There's just too much money tied up for next season, unless of course they win the WS and they bring in a bunch of revenues. Even then, I don't think Rogers will invest that much on this team.

In the end, this team will be eventually passed on from Bautista and Encarnacion to Donaldson and Tulowitzki.

Stro and the Jays win their 1st pre-season game against the Phillies  5-3..of course Hutch gave up a homer...

Barney drove in all 5 Jay runs...making a bid for the starting 2nd baseman over Goins....Travis still out and no word on his return..poor guy really screwed himself up with his shoulder.

58 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Stro and the Jays win their 1st pre-season game against the Phillies  5-3..of course Hutch gave up a homer...

Barney drove in all 5 Jay runs...making a bid for the starting 2nd baseman over Goins....Travis still out and no word on his return..poor guy really screwed himself up with his shoulder.

Was really good every time he played as well. Feel bad for him. Hope he gets better soon.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Forgot that we retained Barney. Solid utility off the bench.

It's so odd thinking about how Hutch was their opening day starter last year. I know it was because of Stroman's injury, and the logistics of setting up the rotation. But still, dude was out there on starting day. His place on the team feels so vague now.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Forgot that we retained Barney. Solid utility off the bench.

It's so odd thinking about how Hutch was their opening day starter last year. I know it was because of Stroman's injury, and the logistics of setting up the rotation. But still, dude was out there on starting day. His place on the team feels so vague now.

agree,,,there is a good chance he goes down all things being equal.

31 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Was really good every time he played as well. Feel bad for him. Hope he gets better soon.

I think if he didnt injure himself he might have won rookie of the year..

he played 62 games and was hitting .304  with 66 hits. ..38 rbis and 8 Hrs.

On 3/2/2016 at 5:40 PM, ShakyWalton said:

I think if he didnt injure himself he might have won rookie of the year..

he played 62 games and was hitting .304  with 66 hits. ..38 rbis and 8 Hrs.

I think your right, he's a good player, even watching him he looks professional doesn't stand out like a rookie one bit.

But before they moved him to leadoff he was hitting around .330-.340. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

I really wish they just brought him back for another year. With all the ways they irritated fans over this off-season, it would have been an easy way to partly placate them with the standing fan favourite on a minimum deal.

8 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

I really wish they just brought him back for another year. With all the ways they irritated fans over this off-season, it would have been an easy way to partly placate them with the standing fan favourite on a minimum deal.

Muni is, by Major League standards, a bad baseball player though.