The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I usually defend Gibby's decisions, but I think he made a major blunder by allowing Martin to hit in the 9th.

With a man on 2nd and none out, you have to get that runner to third base. Never mind the "big picture" routine that Buck and Tabby were pontificating about. You can boost Russell's confidence later, when you aren't staring at a third loss in a row, especially when the guy who's hitting is colder than Yellowknife in December...

Zeke should have been brought in to get the bunt down and move Pillar to third. After that, a fly ball, or a grounder that isn't hit right at a defender wins the game.

I understand that this team is built around the long ball, but circumstances sometimes dictate that you play a little small ball and I think it was a big mistake not doing so last night. Gibby is just lucky that Smoak took him off the hook.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 2

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/15458724/more-ped-busts-coming-major-league-baseball-soon

Major League Baseball is expected to announce in the next few days that another player has tested positive for the steroid Turinabol, a drug that was commonly used by East German athletes in the 1970s. The positive test is one of a handful being processed, two sources familiar with the cases told Outside the Lines, meaning it's all but certain that more announcements will follow.

Turinabol, whose chemical compound is dehydrochlormethyltestosterone (DHCMT), is not something that would likely be found in the tool kit of a modern PED guru. But it is showing up widely again: Toronto Blue Jays' Chris Colabello and the Philadelphia Phillies' Daniel Stumpf were suspended after traces of Turinabol were found in their systems. The two, along with the player to be named, tested positive during spring training. St. Louis Cardinals catcherCody Stanley was suspended in September after he tested positive for the drug.

MLB officials are examining what connections might exist between the players to explain Turinabol's apparent resurgence but have not found any so far, a source told Outside the Lines. But two possible explanations exist for why positive tests are spiking, sources said: better testing technology and/or a supplement taken by athletes.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Testing for Turinabol took a major leap forward two years ago, and as anti-doping labs have adopted the technology, users apparently didn't get the word. Any drug someone takes breaks down into metabolites, a residue of the drug that can stay in the system long after the original or parent drug has cleared. Turinabol, like most oral steroids, breaks down relatively quickly in the body and used to be undetectable after a week, and sometimes even less time. But two years ago, researchers found that by increasing the sensitivity of their testing equipment, they could detect some metabolites that stayed in the body much longer.

"The window of detection has moved out to, typically, several weeks, and in some rare circumstances up to months after administration," said Daniel Eichner, the president of the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory in Utah, which works with most major sports leagues.

As a result, players who might have used it without detection for years are finding themselves suddenly vulnerable to testing.

"That's what makes the most sense," one source close to MLB's testing program said. "There really isn't another theory right now."

The updated testing also could help explain why the recent positive tests turned up in spring training, which seemed odd to anti-doping experts. Players know they'll be tested in spring training, so it's rare for a player to have anything in his system when he reports to camp. Because testers found a metabolite of the drug and not the parent drug itself, they know those players probably used Turinabol more than a week before they were tested. The players have all denied knowingly taking the drug, but if their use was intentional, it would make sense that they stopped more than a week before reporting, with the belief that the drug had cleared their systems.

The unnamed players who tested positive have been informed, and MLB officials are still wrapping up the administrative process required to suspend them. Sources did not say when the players tested positive or how many are on major league rosters, but anyone on a team's 40-man roster has the right to appeal, which can delay a suspension by several weeks.

Besides the improved testing, there is another possible culprit for the recent spike in Turinabol positives, though sources told Outside the Lines it's a bit more speculative.

The supplement Alpha-4D, sold by Shredded Labs, includes an oral form of Turinabol. None of the players who tested positive has said he used the product, but it was placed on the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's "high risk" supplement list in March 2014 and is the one over-the-counter product that has been identified by the agency as containing the drug. The supplement is advertised as a "pro-anabolic stack," which should be a flashing neon warning sign to any athlete who is subject to testing. Such products are often laced with banned drugs, whether those drugs are listed in the ingredients or not. Players are warned from the beginning of their careers that they should only take supplements preapproved by MLB and that they are liable for anything that shows up in their bodies.

MLB officials declined to comment on the recent tests, citing the program's confidentiality. Major League Baseball Players Association executive directorTony Clark did not return a message seeking comment.

17 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Martin FINALLY figuring out that you don't always have to hit a home run to be a hero. Hopefully he learns from this and uses this type of approach when he's in those types of situations again.

This is how you boost a guy's confidence. Instead of asking him to come through with a clutch hit, you put him in a position where a fly ball feels every bit as good as a single...

MLB officials declined to comment on the recent tests, citing the program's confidentiality. Major League Baseball Players Association executive directorTony Clark did not return a message seeking comment.

From Sean's post....I didn't know that Tony the Tiger was the Executive Director of the MLBPA. Good on him.

Great player and a great guy...

Honestly, kinda glad Colabello is out. Smoak not having to worry about that starting job is doing a lot for him. Plus I dont respect any player who does roids and I have no doubt Colabello used them to enhance his performance. Such a shame since it was a great feel-good story too. Thats MLB for ya I guess.

Edited by Xbox

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Honestly, kinda glad Colabello is out. Smoak not having to worry about that starting job is doing a lot for him. Plus I dont respect any player who does roids and I have no doubt Colabello used them to enhance his performance. Such a shame since it was a great feel-good story too. Thats MLB for ya I guess.

plus Im not fussy over platooning..hated it last year as well..players cant get into any rythem..cant wait for Travis to return so Goins and Barney can take a lesser role..actually I think one will be shipped out.

Edited by ShakyWalton

4 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

plus Im not fussy over platooning..hated it last year as well..players cant get into any rythem..cant wait for Travis to return so Goins and Barney can take a lesser role..actually I think one will be shipped out.

I hate the idea of platooning. Evert field position should have a bonafide starter. I can't wait for Travis to come back though, but I really like Goins' game. 

5 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

The only reason for the platoon is because Collabello was hitting so well.

Smoak is easily the best defensive 1B and he's a switch-hitter. It makes sense to play him every day, with the exception of spot starts from Edwing.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: nice to see the offense finally show up tonight, although I wouldn't get too carried away.

Holland had one of those games....

Isnt Holland the guy who pretended to wipe his butt with a Jay t-shirt in the playoffs..Id say the Jays wiped the floor with him today

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The only reason for the platoon is because Collabello was hitting so well.

Smoak is easily the best defensive 1B and he's a switch-hitter. It makes sense to play him every day, with the exception of spot starts from Edwing.

I always wanted Smoak at first more regular..makes sense being a switch hitter and getting some regular bats.

Goins and Barney are platooning now according to Gibby..