The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree on Pillar. He seems to generate a lot of bat speed, which is pretty much all you need to put up power numbers.

I think his biggest impediment right now is his lack of selectivity at the plate. He simply swings at too many bad pitches and it's obvious on some occasions that he goes up there with swing on his mind. Once he develops a better eye at the plate, I think his power numbers will go up.

Yeah, the ball really jumps off his bat. I don't know the exit velocity numbers on him (not sure if it'll load on mobile either) but he hits the ball about as hard as anybody on the team. His swing is also very level and line drive-focused. If he gets his hands up a little higher and starts generating some more backspin he could launch a few more homers. Like you said too, his approach is trash much more often than not too. He's easily the most frustrating hitter on the team to watch IMO, though Upton might take that title from him at some point. There's loads of potential on Pillar. He could make an excellent lead  off or #2 hitter with some fine tuning. Runs well, handles the bat pretty well, etc etc. Just doesn't walk or minimize strikeouts enough to be in that role yet or be trusted to execute a hit and run consistently.

11 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, the ball really jumps off his bat. I don't know the exit velocity numbers on him (not sure if it'll load on mobile either) but he hits the ball about as hard as anybody on the team. His swing is also very level and line drive-focused. If he gets his hands up a little higher and starts generating some more backspin he could launch a few more homers. Like you said too, his approach is trash much more often than not too. He's easily the most frustrating hitter on the team to watch IMO, though Upton might take that title from him at some point. There's loads of potential on Pillar. He could make an excellent lead  off or #2 hitter with some fine tuning. Runs well, handles the bat pretty well, etc etc. Just doesn't walk or minimize strikeouts enough to be in that role yet or be trusted to execute a hit and run consistently.

Agreed. In fact, that's exactly what happened at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately, KP's average and OBP were pretty much identical, which is not good enough to be the leadoff guy.

If his eye improves, I could definitely see him become the Jays' leadoff hitter. He'll never be another Devo, but he might become another Damo Garcia with more power. I think the Jays would happily take that.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. In fact, that's exactly what happened at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately, KP's average and OBP were pretty much identical, which is not good enough to be the leadoff guy.

If his eye improves, I could definitely see him become the Jays' leadoff hitter. He'll never be another Devo, but he might become another Damo Garcia with more power. I think the Jays would happily take that.

Yeah, unfortunately his OBP was crap compared to his BA. I've noticed that it's gotten better lately though and the spread between his OBP and BA is at a more acceptable level whereas before the two were pretty much identical. Just checked actually and it's at .292, coulda sworn t was higher the other day. Nonetheless he's still only 26/27 and lots of players improve right through their late 20's- JD, EE, and JB can all attest to that. It's not unreasonable to think Pillar could improve hat OBP to the 340-350 area. They should get JB to show him a thing or two.

Saw Zaun on Prime Time Sports today. He thinks that Liriano has been bitten by the same bug that got Ricky Romero. Can't throw the breaking ball for strikes anymore, so batters sit back and wait for #1.

Whether Martin can make the difference is to be seen.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Saw Zaun on Prime Time Sports today. He thinks that Liriano has been bitten by the same bug that got Ricky Romero. Can't throw the breaking ball for strikes anymore, so batters sit back and wait for #1.

I dunno lol nobody got bit as bad as Romero... Well maybe Kyle Drabek... Or Brandon Morrow or Jesse Litsch. Lol now that I think about it our pitching sure was awful in that era once Romero lost his stuff.

• Upvote 1

I think Pillar could be a good option in the leadoff spot. His OBP/AVG are so close in part because, if I remember correctly, the coaching staff wanted him to be swinging at the first pitch. They were asking that he be more aggressive. I think if he has the tools to be a leadoff guy he just needs to be allowed to change his approach. 

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
Stupid iPhone quoting

so I was playing draft kings last night and I noticed that their was a strombone1 in the same one as me. I tweeted out if this him, he sent me a PM and saying don't show anyone his crappy lineup. Today he challenged me to a head to head matchup. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gmen81 said:

so I was playing draft kings last night and I noticed that their was a strombone1 in the same one as me. I tweeted out if this him, he sent me a PM and saying don't show anyone his crappy lineup. Today he challenged me to a head to head matchup. 

Gotta love Bobby Lou.

also, 7 K's through 4?! This isn't nasty stuff either. Just some bad hitting.

3 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

That's actually pretty sweet, pm him and tell him the real Canucks fans in BC miss him.

JD Martinez was activated off the DL today and was pinch hitting. The crowd was going nuts for him and the announcers were like "if he goes deep here, watch out". First pitch he sees from Sale was a bomb to CF. 

kind of cool to see.