The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Change coming today?

topbananas

I lend NO credibility to anything Dreger says or seconds. But I will say that getting a new GM scares me a lot.

new GMs PURGE the old GMs work.

What happens if a new GM comes in starts trading prospects picks and players with their "vision" in mind, or they come in and have the "owners vision" in mind.

Truth be told if the rumours are right, Gillis has been handcuffed the last 2.5 years by ownership interference in everything from the Roy and Pahlsson trade to the Torts hiring.

And if that is the truth than honestly looking at Gillis' body of work....the guys done fairly well.

.... burke set them up to make the playoffs for the first time in forever

Fear a new GM with a new "vision"

Because as bad as GIllis might seem to some people...remember what Burke did in Toronto with his "new vision" and literally dozens of other examples.

Nice edit, you forgot to mention that it took 8+ years before they made the playoffs, they gave up what appears to be a franchise defining C in Seguin a top 2 D in Hamilton plus more for a fat lazy Kessel and ONLY made the payoffs in a lockout shortened year where quite literally everyone was scrambling to adjust their rosters to make the cap work.

Besides a hand picked and literally god gifted team in Anaheim, what has Burke done?

Honestly again. New GM's make major moves to give the team the identity they want....and that is scary as hell.

Imagine a new GM walking in here and all of a sudden our core is good enough but say good bye to Horvat? Subban? Shinkaruk? Matthias or Markstrom?

This is the reality of a new GM. They make moves. Moves that give the team they take over their identity.

"Be careful what you wish for" .. if the owners over-react here, they could start a ball rolling that won't stop until we are last in the League .. maybe that is the plan? .. season ticket holders will flee like rabbits, much like the bandwagon folks .. and we will be left with the loyal fans and the haters .. sides will be taken .. :lol:

"Be careful what you wish for" .. if the owners over-react here, they could start a ball rolling that won't stop until we are last in the League .. maybe that is the plan? .. season ticket holders will flee like rabbits, much like the bandwagon folks .. and we will be left with the loyal fans and the haters .. sides will be taken .. :lol:

Seems to be working ok for Colorado.

Sakic had no experience before.

I am one of those that actually believe in Gillis and I think he has a plan. But, if he is to get canned what do you guys think of Stan Smyl taking over? I don't think Linden has any interest, and I don't think Nazzy is the right fit quite yet. Maybe they promote Laurence Gilman

I am one of those that actually believe in Gillis and I think he has a plan. But, if he is to get canned what do you guys think of Stan Smyl taking over? I don't think Linden has any interest, and I don't think Nazzy is the right fit quite yet. Maybe they promote Laurence Gilman

Promoting Gilman makes as much sense to me as promoting Nonis when Burke was canned. No point in using someone with possibly the same vision if you don't like that vision.

I don't see Gillis being fired. Worst case he gets the GM title stripped, and is left as President, but even this is foolish. The time to fire Gillis was either last year (before the draft) or next year, after Gillis has had a chance to right the ship. Gillis has done lots of good with this team, and deserves the chance.

This is common practice from so-called "insiders". One guy hears something from one of his sources (usually speculative) and reports it. Other guys take this report and put it out there themselves...

Next thing you know, we're hearing it from "multiple sources".

Very much like the Kesler trade request rumour. I say rumour because there really only was one that ended up basically being retweeted, and then all the trade offer speculation coming from other teams took over and fuelled the fire. There was the minor speculation around Sochi, but that was the only thing ever put forth to try and support the initial rumour.

aren't all monkeys mouth breathers? I thought It was kind of implied... kind of like saying tall giraffes.

What did the giraffe say when he walked into the bar?

High balls on me!

Archived