The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Finally that idiot got what he deserved after making no intelligent moves in the past 3 years.

Now we can finally get a GM that prefers the best talented players he can find as compared to third line scrubs.

How do you explain Tampa then?

He had a young team and he fluked it out it happens that s life. So many things have to line up in the playoffs ie luck, players playing above thier skills willing to scarifice and calls that sway in their favor ... thats why you just have to make the playoffs anything can happen.

I guess one extra bonus that hasn't gotten much attention is that there is nothing stopping a new GM from asking players with NTC's to waive them. Not saying they will or won't but the NTC's were Gillis' supposed no go zone. This can only make any sort of rebuild/reset a bit easier.

Ask? How about my plan for Edler. Simply tell him he is not playing on the Canucks anymore. If he agrees to get traded we will try and trade him.

Otherwise, you can play in Utica.

Take it or deal it.

The new GM had better not be about making friends, he should be about fixing the problems, using any and every move possible.

I suspect a few players may ask for trades. Once the first few rats start leaving the ship they will all bail no problem. Especially when they see the alternative.

This move has to do with the idiotic fans in the arena last night chanting for MG to be fired.

If this ownership makes franchise decisions based on a few people chanting in an arena, then the GM and coach are the least of our problems.

The bigger picture here, but what message has this organization sent to all other potential GM candidates?

That making the playoffs every year is mandatory? What does that do for any GM's decision making process?

Seems to me that any new GM would be more inclined to make short term decisions in order to keep his job, at the expense of the longer term benefit of the franchise.

Exactly. MG wasn't perfect by any stretch but we could see over the last couple of seasons that he was intent on building a young stable of players for the future.

A new GM is going to be inclined to simply augment the roster in the worst way to keep their head afloat.

This hiring is going to be one of the most important turning points in Canucks history. The ownership better get it right.

Finally that idiot got what he deserved after making no intelligent moves in the past 3 years.

Now we can finally get GM that prefers the best talented players he can find as compared to third line scrubs.

Your the idiot really think about that for one moment! I will get back to you when you are important enough for me to do just that.!

The bigger picture here is what message has this organization sent to all other potential GM candidates?

That making the playoffs every year is mandatory? What does that do for any GM's decision making process?

Seems to me that any new GM would be more inclined to make short term decisions in order to keep his job, at the expense of the longer term benefit of the franchise.

That's a good question.

Gillis could have saved his job by dealing Horvat for immediate short term help. A new GM might make a horrible move like that to prevent the same fate.

This move has to do with the idiotic fans in the arena last night chanting for MG to be fired.

They should be commended for doing so. They're far from idiots. They were also chanting for Torts to be fired and that hasn't happened yet.

I'll reserve judgement regarding a lack of confidence in this organization moving forward until they've decided upon a GM and a coach, but as things stand, my sense is there are probably better odds of taking further steps backwards than there are of picking up and building upon where Gillis had this team headed.

Worst GM?

Multiple 2nd round playoff berths, 2 pres trophies SCF game 7 5 straight division titles.

Seriously, check your clown shoes for BS because you obviously have NO idea what you're talking about

Worst GM in our history....seriously, some peoples children

All done in the weakest division in the league

Finally now I can have hope for the team again thought it would take 7 years to get rid of him it took 6.

I have high hopes for My Canucks again, when he was hired I just shook my head, said I'd watch other clubs win some cups while the Canucks made a mess.

Vancouver Canucks would do better by hiring a professional with experience rather than hiring someone who goes for coffee with the owner.

Lots to choose from tme for the wait and see. To bad this took so long to get Gillis out of here, ripped up a good team left us with an old core and a few parts on the way.

Farm team was a good call though.

Now we can finally get GM that prefers the best talented players he can find as compared to third line scrubs.

I think you overestimate the appeal of this franchise. It's not easy to get the players we want to come here.

I've seen this script before and think the Canucks are going back to dark days. At least the majority of the fanbase will go with it.

Why would they do that? They're going to replace MG with their guy.

Weird how Nonis was a knee jerk move and Aquas hire MG.

They are going to have it tough attracting a new GM with meddling ownership at the helm.

Hockey operations need to stay with Hockey minds. Not ownership treating this team like a vanity project.

Torts got the same pieces Gillis got when he came in, why is it ok for Torts to fail with them when Gillis can't even get credit for succeeding with the same core.

Because MG is the GM and has the option to pick the team, torts came in with leftovers of the core you speak of and was left with one line of scoring.

I'm not saying keep torts the full contract if he can't get it going but he's had one year with a mess of a team he should get a better crack at it then that.

Archived