The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm far from delusional.

The timing is poor if the ownership doesn't have a replacement who is a definite upgrade. I'm skeptical about that point.

This doesn't seem like a planned move. This seems reactionary and more aligned to ticket sales than hockey operations.

I'm seriously concerned about the owners of this team right now.. They are a larger potential problem than MG ever was.

The Aqualini's heard the crowd chant last night and pulled a Ceasar's thumbs down.

Maybe reactionary but I tell you what no one can deny the last 3 years the Canucks had the worst luck, puck bounces and up to this year officials hated us and it showed.

Something had to be done to change the Mojo.

ooo another delusional gillis fan. news flash. he is the worse gm in our history. he dismantled this team.see treatment of Luongo and our return for 2 elite goalies to answer your next question

Haven't been watching the Canucks very long? Worst GM in our history? 2 words, "Iron Mike".

Torts was coach in Tampa at the same time?

What's intresting is he quit Tampa because of ownership meddling, how would that work out in van?

Under Feaster's management, the Lightning won consecutive Southeast Division titles in 2003 and 2004. In the 200304 NHL season, the Lightning won the first Stanley Cup in franchise history while The Sporting News named Feaster as the league's executive of the year.[2] Feaster remained general manager until 2008, when he grew frustrated at interference in the team's hockey operations by the Lightning's new owners Len Barrie and Oren Koules.[3] He had three years remaining on his contract with the Lightning when he announced his resignation.[4]

Feaster's Blunders;

- Signing of Vinny Lecavailer to 11 year 85 million deal
- Drafting Record with Tampa Bay http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008385.html (2002-2008)
- Only players to have any success in the 6 years (aside from Steven Stamkos): Paul Ranger and Nick Tarnasky
- Jerome Iginla trade
- Jay Bouwmeester trade

- Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet
- Draft record with Calgary albeit very early
- Mark Jankowski and Sven Baertschi

Huge mistake...mark my words.

Prepare for dark times CDC unless ownership have a really good GM lined up.

your not the only one that thinks that. we all know they are coming now. Just can't believe they let MG go after he missed the playoffs once. Also the deadline for season ticket renewals are tomorrow. This is more of a money move then a logical hockey move. Gillis was just trying to rebuild and he never got his shot.

Now it's crystal clear ownership wanted torts as MG was never on the same page with him on his style of play.

Hmmmm..... sooooo we now know that if we chant something the owners will do it. First the Eddie chants convinced them to go with him as their #1 and now Gillis is gone. WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO? Lower beer prices?

Cheaper Be -er! Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Cheaper Be-er! Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Thank you! I now have a reason to go to the game Thursday!

Oh gawd ... Feaster? Now that would be worst than MG.

Feaster gets a bad rap,

Calgary ownership made all those dumb moves not him, he was a professional fall guy for an owner who wanted to run the team himself.

If Feaster was actually in charge of a team things would be different.

Actually he was.....and he won a cup,

So there you go.

My concern is that the Aquilinis will still want to keep Torts on as coach.

GMs like to pick their guy, they may not be interested in working with Tortorella. If that is the case, it could be harder for the Canucks to land the best GM candidate because they will only want to be hired on the condition that they can pick the coach of the team.

Feaster's Blunders;

- Signing of Vinny Lecavailer to 11 year 85 million deal

- Drafting Record with Tampa Bay http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008385.html (2002-2008)

- Only players to have any success in the 6 years (aside from Steven Stamkos): Paul Ranger and Nick Tarnasky

- Jerome Iginla trade

- Jay Bouwmeester trade

- Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet

- Draft record with Calgary albeit very early

- Mark Jankowski and Sven Baertschi

There was a rumor he was trying to trade stammer too. Please god no, I hope we are just being trolled

Feaster gets a bad rap,

Calgary ownership made all those dumb moves not him, he was a professional fall guy for an owner who wanted to run the team himself.

If Feaster was actually in charge of a team things would be different.

Actually he was.....and he won a cup,

So there you go.

If Feaster is being brought in then it's for exactly that same reason, for the ownership to hold sway.

He won a Cup? Didn't he inherit that core? Isn't that one of the main criticisms of MG? Feaster didn't build that Cup winning team our even augment it well. He was the one to dismantle it though.

You are not the first to use the term "knee-jerk." What is so jerkish about it?

Even if we speculate that he has drafted well, there is so much that reaks of unprofessionalism.

The fans got upset and AQ appeased them. Look at our possession numbers, our injuries and our slumps. Look at all the great moves Gillis did with no cap room over the summer. I am among a minority that sees the Schneider and Luongo trades as separate events, both with a ton of reason that the moves make sense from a management's perspective and a ton why it wasn't from a PR perspective. For these reasons, I don;t think Gillis is to blame for this season's crappy play. HOWEVER the main reason I think AQ was too hasty is because Gillis with cap room took our team from a non-contender to a game 7 team. We have cap room now and a coach who has taken a team of rookies to the Cup before. I think Gillis deserved the summer these past two seasons of no cap room were building up to. Now we have a new GM coming in (god knows how soon) and they will have to figure out what to do in such a short among of time prior to the draft. I guess Gilman will be GM because it would be retarded to pick someone else and hope they can just key into what needs to be done. I think the timing was also wrong.

you can sum up MGs job in vancouver this easliy..... he did a fantastic job surrounding the core guys he inherited , looked like a genius... just as fast he dismantled the supporting cast and floundered as he tried to replace it and never could and made it look like the job he did for the 2011 run was a fluke...he then was at the helm for the goalie circus and had no answers to the nose dive this team has been on since the cup finals.... he did give his players a chance by firing AV and throwing a new coach at them... but torts wasnt a magic band-aid ... its not the coaches fault this team is where it is ... its the players... and its the GMs job to get the players. Except for the build to the cup gillis has failed big time bringing in players and evaluating the players we do have. the Sedin and Burrows contracts look just as bad as Luongos not to mention garrison and edler .... absolutely terrible at evaluating players..... whoever takes over is goign to have the saem hard job burke had in Toronto.. a bunch of bad contracts that will be hard to move or get out from under...

My concern is that the Aquilinis will still want to keep Torts on as coach.

GMs like to pick their guy, they may not be interested in working with Tortorella. If that is the case, it could be harder for the Canucks to land the best GM candidate because they will only want to be hired on the condition that they can pick the coach of the team.

I'm sure that would be something that is discussed in the interview process...

"Can you work with Torts? Because we've not really interested in an 8 millions dollar golden parachute...."

Archived