The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think Gillis will be out of a job for long.

Really, not back as GM, I don't think. Word was he has never been accepted as part of the GM club. Of course, he has many career options being a lawyer and all. Maybe he can take over as executive officer at Club 16 now that Trevor is busy with other things.

how about marco sturm and peter schaefer?

Gotta laugh at the constant Sturm hate here. For a fanbase whose motto seems to be "just give him some more time" it's fairly amusing to see how much hate a guy can get for having played 6 whole games here.

Gotta laugh at the constant Sturm hate here. For a fanbase whose motto seems to be "just give him some more time" it's fairly amusing to see how much hate a guy can get for having played 6 whole games here.

Yeah, and Schaefer, who landed us Sami Salo the first time around - got a whiff of an opportunity on a two way deal before being waived. People will complain about literally anything they can no matter how inconsequential.

OMG - MG signed......Pascal Pelletier. What an epic fail!

Yeah, and Schaefer, who landed us Sami Salo the first time around - got a whiff of an opportunity on a two way deal before being waived. People will complain about literally anything they can no matter how inconsequential.

OMG - MG signed......Pascal Pelletier. What an epic fail!

Wouldn't you call the Roy signing an epic fail, in the context of THAT cup run... on a team lacking a prototypical 3rd line centre?

I would. Numb-hands Gillis should have shored up that gaping hole and got a Carkner for that storied free-fall. You and I are on opposite sides of the fence on Gillis.

I have been a "Gillis hater" since the 2011 trade deadline. Hate meaning, I was pissed that he wouldn't do anything to fill the roles that were/are needed to play playoff hockey.

The old, "we got within one game of the cup..." crap never sat well with me, due to the way we lost. To me, its not so important to win as it is in how the team plays. That series was just like a prison-sex scene.

Gillis was always behind the curve. His legacy here is a mess of NTC's and disrespect around the league towards the team. Nobody hated Detroit when they were winning, so throw out his reasoning for the hate directed at the team for the past few years as being derived from success. The man was a PR disaster, period. It is so bad now that #16 has to come in and repair relations with the whole damn province.

I bet he never gets a GM job again.

To people saying "he had to go", do you remember when they said that about Vigneault? Remember how that worked out for us?

Seems the Rangers are doing just fine with the guy that was "the" problem last year.

Hahaha you must be a severe degenerate to think that Vigneault's dismissal is at all comparable to Gillis's.

You call him a degenerate because he has an opinion ? A valid one at that.

How dare he think for himself .. what will Society become if everyone ignores the 'gospel' and starts to actually 'think'? .. hallelujah, brother!

Wouldn't you call the Roy signing an epic fail, in the context of THAT cup run... on a team lacking a prototypical 3rd line centre?

I would. Numb-hands Gillis should have shored up that gaping hole and got a Carkner for that storied free-fall. You and I are on opposite sides of the fence on Gillis.

I have been a "Gillis hater" since the 2011 trade deadline. Hate meaning, I was pissed that he wouldn't do anything to fill the roles that were/are needed to play playoff hockey.

The old, "we got within one game of the cup..." crap never sat well with me, due to the way we lost. To me, its not so important to win as it is in how the team plays. That series was just like a prison-sex scene.

Gillis was always behind the curve. His legacy here is a mess of NTC's and disrespect around the league towards the team. Nobody hated Detroit when they were winning, so throw out his reasoning for the hate directed at the team for the past few years as being derived from success. The man was a PR disaster, period. It is so bad now that #16 has to come in and repair relations with the whole damn province.

Couldn't have said it better. Every word.

Couldn't have said it better. Every word.

Thank goodness you are a man of few words .. "I bet he never gets a GM job again"? .. you say you agree with 'every word'? .. OK .. how much are you willing to bet, and at what odds? .. or are you just blowing smoke up someones rectum here? .. or are you just a 'dupe' account of Mispelled who has inserted an opinion?

Real money .. a reputable accounting firm near where you live .. a 'real' bet .. anytime .. :)

I would call it a fail - to call it a signing - unless you're referring to the St Louis Blues, who signed Roy. Roy was a rental ie acquired in a trade - while Kesler was limping - he wasn't a signing.

Folks here still obsessing over Sturm, Schaefer, and a bunch of other who-gives-a-sh!t deals from the past.

Was the 2011 trade deadline Pahlsson deal also an epic fail - or does the fact he was a prototypical 3rd line center spell epic success to you? What good is Pahlsson for playoff hockey, right?

What would Carkner have to do with the "gaping hole" at 3C btw?

No one hated Detroit. Priceless.

Got any other graveyard protests Mispelled?

Roy was a prime example of miscalculation at the executive level evaluating the team's abilities to win.

Acquire a guy that is going to leave because the team can't even pay him for future organisational loss/weakness in a year where your team is going nowhere.

Pahlsson also outlined the Gillis era perfectly.Give up talent and future to weaken the team going forward.

Pahlsson plays five playoff games and retires.

Roy plays four playoff games and gone with but one assist/ point for the Canucks in playoff hockey.

Second rounder,prospect,two-fourth rounders and a prospect all leave the organisation in 'the process'.

The necro whining around here over Kevin Connauton, 4th round picks and Taylor Ellington is comical.

Stanton is better than Kevin Connauton. Tanev is light years better than Kevin Connauton. Who is Taylor Ellington.

Is Eddie Lack worth a 4th round pick? Eriksson? Lain? Cox? All free assets which more than make up for the cost of a couple rentals.

... the other side of the 'process.'

Much ado about nothing.

Roy was a prime example of miscalculation at the executive level evaluating the team's abilities to win.

Acquire a guy that is going to leave because the team can't even pay him for future organisational loss/weakness in a year where your team is going nowhere.

Pahlsson also outlined the Gillis era perfectly.Give up talent and future to weaken the team going forward.

Roy plays four playoff games and gone with but one assist/ point for the Canucks in playoff hockey.

Second rounder,prospect,two-fourth rounders and a prospect all leave the organisation in 'the process'.

All that venom in two guys? .. we have no idea what restrictions, or direction, he was under .. well I don't .. do you? ..

Keep trotting out examples, in hind-sight, where Gillis 'did wrong' .. he made a lot of decisions .. easy pickings.

I sure hope no-one ever measures your 'decisions' to the same degree .. we all would be found wanting, don't you think? .. on second thought .. it is best you measure your own 'decisions', for none know our own weakness' better than our selves.

Can't have it both ways. Canucks were still high in the standings yet again, after a cup run/back-to-back president's trophies.

Have to pay a price to try and go on a run. People kept complaining about secondary scoring. Gillis gets secondary scoring. Its too bad Roy wasn't a great fit here, but it was the right move.

We traded Connauton, who was a redundant asset at the time for a rental. I'm fine with that cost.

Archived