The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The necro whining around here over Kevin Connauton, 4th round picks and Taylor Ellington is comical.

Stanton is better than Kevin Connauton. Tanev is light years better than Kevin Connauton. Who is Taylor Ellington.

Is Eddie Lack worth a 4th round pick? Eriksson? Lain? Cox? All free assets which more than make up for the cost of a couple rentals.

... the other side of the 'process.'

Much ado about nothing.

Yup, its pretty inaccurate to completely classify MG as a GM fail. His draft record isn't perfect but it's better than most of our previous GM's. Seemed pretty astute at finding college and lower tier free agents flying under the radar as well. I think its more than fair to feel disappointed with how he handled some of our UFA's, and the optics of losing Lu and Cory aren't good, but to use Roy, Pahlsson, Sturm, Connauton and Ellington as the measuring sticks of his tenure here is grasping at straws really.

Tonight's playoffs are highlighting everything that was wrong with Gillis' last couple seasons.

He let good support players like Torres, Lapierre, and Weise go; who are all having impacts on their new teams. Torres has been a beast for the Sharks, scoring a goal and bringing huge hits. Exactly how the Canucks claimed they wanted to start playing.

Weise and Lapierre have done everything you want for fourth liners. Throwing hits, making plays, and getting under the oppositions skin. Weise with a game winner, and Lapierre with a game saving block.

And the worst thing is they all could have been re-signed for next to nothing. But instead he let them all go, and replaced them with guys like Sestito, Dalpe, and Schroeder. So if anyone is wondering where our "swagger" and character went, look not further than these 3.

I just hope the next GM has the common sense and rationality to hold onto good depth guys, instead of hoping our young players are ready to step in before they're ready.

The letting go of Torres was incredibly stupid. The guy had a great playoff showing and certainly earned a multi year deal and it wasn't like he was being unreasonable in terms or length. However, Lapierre became pretty useless, especially last year and we essentially swapped him for Richardson. I wasn't a huge fan of Weise but he is still young and does have some upside. I think his big mouth is what got him moved. He wasn't in favor with Torts at all and had many games where he played just 4 mins. That's not completely Gillis' fault.

The letting go of Torres was incredibly stupid. The guy had a great playoff showing and certainly earned a multi year deal and it wasn't like he was being unreasonable in terms or length. However, Lapierre became pretty useless, especially last year and we essentially swapped him for Richardson. I wasn't a huge fan of Weise but he is still young and does have some upside. I think his big mouth is what got him moved. He wasn't in favor with Torts at all and had many games where he played just 4 mins. That's not completely Gillis' fault.

Absolutely. Letting Torres walk made no sense. Even if he thought he needed to make room for younger guys, it's still poor asset management to let a guy you could re-sign for cheap walk. At worst they could have traded him later for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Maybe there were locker room issues, but I could care less if the guy brings exactly what this team needs on the ice.

Lapierre may have had a poor season, but again it comes down to asset management. You don't let go of guys without having a replacement plan. Richardson has been a pleasant surprise but that was still a gamble, and it wouldn't have exactly been a bad thing to have him and Lapierre. He's still a huge upgrade over Dalpe and Schroeder for that role.

I also think Weise brings more to the table than Sestito ever will. The guy can skate, kill penalties, and chip in offensively every once and awhile. The only thing Sestito brought more of was fighting and taking penalties.

Absolutely. Letting Torres walk made no sense. Even if he thought he needed to make room for younger guys, it's still poor asset management to let a guy you could re-sign for cheap walk. At worst they could have traded him later for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Maybe there were locker room issues, but I could care less if the guy brings exactly what this team needs on the ice.

Lapierre may have had a poor season, but again it comes down to asset management. You don't let go of guys without having a replacement plan. Richardson has been a pleasant surprise but that was still a gamble, and it wouldn't have exactly been a bad thing to have him and Lapierre. He's still a huge upgrade over Dalpe and Schroeder for that role.

I also think Weise is brings more to the table than Sestito ever will. The guy can skate, kill penalties, and chip in offensively every once and awhile. The only thing Sestito brought more of was fighting and taking penalties.

He underestimated the team chemistry, he let him go because he dared ask for a raise and an extra year.

Instead he spent the last two summers since letting go Torres looking for another player like him signing AHLers like Duco, Pinozotto, Bitz :picard:

.. hate shall keep them alive? .. where is that dead horse .gif when you need it.

Unfortunately it's not a dead issue because we still haven't recovered from this loss of depth.

Just pointing out some of the obvious mistakes Gillis made and why we're not nearly the imposing team we used to be.

Unfortunately it's not a dead issue because we still haven't recovered from this loss of depth.

Just pointing out some of the obvious mistakes Gillis made and why we're not nearly the imposing team we used to be.

Sounds fair .. I hope it helps you heal .. for me, it just rips a bandage off .. :)

Tonight's playoffs are highlighting everything that was wrong with Gillis' last couple seasons.

He let good support players like Torres, Lapierre, and Weise go; who are all having impacts on their new teams. Torres has been a beast for the Sharks, scoring a goal and bringing huge hits. Exactly how the Canucks claimed they wanted to start playing.

Weise and Lapierre have done everything you want for fourth liners. Throwing hits, making plays, and getting under the oppositions skin. Weise with a game winner, and Lapierre with a game saving block.

And the worst thing is they all could have been re-signed for next to nothing. But instead he let them all go, and replaced them with guys like Sestito, Dalpe, and Schroeder. So if anyone is wondering where our "swagger" and character went, look not further than these 3.

I just hope the next GM has the common sense and rationality to hold onto good depth guys, instead of hoping our young players are ready to step in before they're ready.

I defended Gillis for a long time only because Nonis was so terrible.

Gillis made some costly mistakes though.

I defended Gillis for a long time only because Nonis was so terrible.

Gillis made some costly mistakes though.

I mean every GM makes mistakes. But the Torres one especially was just a head scratcher.

I can't imagine the Sharks letting go of Torres any time soon. Why would they?

Lapierre IMO was the perfect fourth line center. Big bodied guy that could win faceoffs, kill penalties, throw lots of hits, be a pest, and score clutch goals. One poor season shouldn't have been the end for him.

Those NTC's that a handful of players have are really hurting the Canucks' ability to free up enough cap room to be in the running to pick up a couple of "A rated" players.

Linden and the incoming GM seriously need to find a couple of young "diamonds in the rough" RFA's to at least put a decent third line together. If need be, whoever is coaching next year needs to be able to run three decent scoring lines along with a physical hard checking fourth line.

Weise was a waiver wire pick up gillis gtabbed with got a pick for him and there was no space on team for him, big deal he scored one playoff goal

The point is that Sestito isn't an upgrade. He's a bench warmer who's only purpose is to fight. When he is given minutes he takes costly penalties.

Replacing Weise with Sestito is a great example of Gillis losing his direction with this team. Speed and skill should be more valued than size and fighting. We're not the Bruins.

I mean every GM makes mistakes. But the Torres one especially was just a head scratcher.

I can't imagine the Sharks letting go of Torres any time soon. Why would they?

Lapierre IMO was the perfect fourth line center. Big bodied guy that could win faceoffs, kill penalties, throw lots of hits, be a pest, and score clutch goals. One poor season shouldn't have been the end for him.

Stunning that we let him go to Phoenix where he only got 1.75 per for 2 years, just stunning. Lappy was a good servant but I think the mindset was Richardson made up for the loss. Would have been the perfect 4th line center for Torts system though and decent at faceoffs, something you can never have too much of.

The Weise situation was an example of great asset management.

We got Weise for free after he didn't work with Torts in NY.

We got some use out of him in his time under AV, he established himself as an NHLer.

Torts came in and he & Weise didn't get along again, Weise wasn't in our future plans at that point so he traded Weise for a good depth defender when we were hit with injuries, then rather than losing him for nothing as a UFA he atleast got a pick from him.

We got useful years out of Weise, Diaz who played some good games, then a 5th in a deep draft (a round we have been good in recently) out of a free waiver pickup.

No issues with the Weise move.

Torres I'm not sure on either, I really liked him. And I don't think Sestito was a replacement for him, Sestito was just about replacing the fighter lost in Volpatti.

As for Lappierre, it wasn't a bad season, I think they just wanted Richardson instead, which turned out to be a really good move, I'm not going to act like I know the reasons, maybe Lappierre wanted more money or term here or something that we didn't want, who knows. Either way as much as I liked Lappy in him time here, Richardson turned out to be a great replacement.

Archived