The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not a fan of this at all.

There's no way this disappointing season should be on Gillis when the 2 biggest reasons they failed is because the Sedins and Burrows played pathetic for the most part and because the team was decimated with key injuries all season.

No teams could succeed with all those injuries and their # 1 line failing so miserably.

Gillis has done a lot better then given credit for and a lot of people are very dilusional on a lot of his so called errors.

I really hope Mike Gillis knows that we're not all fools like the ungreatful fans chanting against him and i personally think for the most part he's done an amazing job and would like to thank him and wish him all the luck in the world.

The thing is he hasnt done near enough to improve the team for a very long time, just a string of ill timed knee jerk embarrassing decisions that yielded questionable returns. There is no assurance whatsoever he is going to break this trend and all of the sudden start making intelligent decisions again.

You wont see many from an objective standpoint argue that this was a questionable decision, and you certainly wont find many who are in the least bit surprised Gillis was let go.

This was the best team in the league in almost every regard, and after this lengthly catastrophe its one of the worst in many regards.

If you want to argue Gillis didnt make any mistakes along the way, good luck. Youll need it.

The point is that Sestito isn't an upgrade. He's a bench warmer who's only purpose is to fight. When he is given minutes he takes costly penalties.

Replacing Weise with Sestito is a great example of Gillis losing his direction with this team. Speed and skill should be more valued than size and fighting. We're not the Bruins.

This simply isn't true. Sestito is one of the better tough guys in the league in that he is willing to fight anyone and protect his teammates without acting like a meathead in the meantime. Sestito plays his role better than Weise played his, that is why he is more valuable to the team.

And FYI, Weise wasn't jettisoned in favour of Sestito; Weise was traded in hopes one of our young grinders from the Comets would step up and fill the role. Of course some underwhelming performances (Archibald) and injuries curtailed that plan and Weber/Hansen were dropped into that position. BTW that position is RW, Sestito plays LW.

There is no doubt Gillis has made errors but what you pointed out in your post above is not one of them.

This simply isn't true. Sestito is one of the better tough guys in the league in that he is willing to fight anyone and protect his teammates without acting like a meathead in the meantime. Sestito plays his role better than Weise played his, that is why he is more valuable to the team.

And FYI, Weise wasn't jettisoned in favour of Sestito; Weise was traded in hopes one of our young grinders from the Comets would step up and fill the role. Of course some underwhelming performances (Archibald) and injuries curtailed that plan and Weber/Hansen were dropped into that position. BTW that position is RW, Sestito plays LW.

There is no doubt Gillis has made errors but what you pointed out in your post above is not one of them.

Sestito was second in the league in penalties, and you say he doesn't take costly ones? So I assume those were all fighting majors correct? :lol:

Sestito made Weise redundant in MG's eyes because he was bigger and tougher than Weise. Regardless of position, Sestito took over Weise's role, which was an energy tough guy.

Exactly the point I made about hoping for young guys to step up before knowing if they're ready. You don't let players go if you don't have a real plan B to go with; rather than hoping those spots can be filled from within.

I'm not saying letting Weise go somehow doomed our team. Guys like him are a dime a dozen. My point was when you get those guys, you don't let them go unless you have someone to replace them with. Sestito was not a replacement, he's an AHL goon at best. Weise could actually kill penalties and provide the odd goal.

Sestito was second in the league in penalties, and you say he doesn't take costly ones? So I assume those were all fighting majors correct? :lol:

No you aren't correct. Penalties are a part of the game and FYI; Henrik Sedin took more minor penalties than Tom Sestito. Like anyone, Sestito made the odd mistake but it was hardly a trend for him. When he took penalties, they more often than not were for the good of the team (Andrew Alberts would agree).

Sestito made Weise redundant in MG's eyes because he was bigger and tougher than Weise. Regardless of position, Sestito took over Weise's role, which was an energy tough guy.

Exactly the point I made about hoping for young guys to step up before knowing if they're ready. You don't let players go if you don't have a real plan B to go with; rather than hoping those spots can be filled from within.

I'm not saying letting Weise go somehow doomed our team. Guys like him are a dime a dozen. My point was when you get those guys, you don't let them go unless you have someone to replace them with. Sestito was not a replacement, he's an AHL goon at best. Weise could actually kill penalties and provide the odd goal.

Don't contradict yourself or anything :P I agree with the middle bolded line, Weise was a dime a dozen player that is easily replaced from within the organization. Archibald looked to be that replacement until he started playing poorly and Weber was also a solid replacement but then the defence got hit with injury trouble. Even then we had Welsh and Dalpe available but then Jensen and Kassian played well enough for Hansen to drop down. Hindsight sure is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Weise had his strengths, speed being the most notable. And yes that allowed him to kill penalties, fore check and get hits. But Sestito plays a rugged game, left wing, handles the puck a lot better and yes, is the better scorer when he gets the chance, It was just unfortunate when Weise was the biggest and toughest guy we had at times. He is not, and never was an enforcer.

But his leaving had nothing to do with Sestito. At the time he was traded 4 of our D including all our right handers were injured. So we grabbed Diaz. Then Diaz was redundant, although I personally thought we would dump Weber, as all guys came back.

Plus Weise was generating an attitude issue and mouthing off about playing time. So it was easy to move him.

Similarly, Archibald was fine when he played. His first callup earlier in the year, I thought he was playing better than Booth and Kassian at the time. Guys just got healthy and started playing their roles better and there was no spot for him. What were we going to do, send Hansen to the minors?

Thank goodness you are a man of few words .. "I bet he never gets a GM job again"? .. you say you agree with 'every word'? .. OK .. how much are you willing to bet, and at what odds? .. or are you just blowing smoke up someones rectum here? .. or are you just a 'dupe' account of Mispelled who has inserted an opinion?

Real money .. a reputable accounting firm near where you live .. a 'real' bet .. anytime .. :)

So, let me see . . . You disagree?

I though it was a bery well thought out post. Ad I did say every word. But I don't know if he'll get hired as a GM again, so . . . Pow! You got me! Great sleuthing.

I would rephrase the never again statement by sayin it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get pocke up as a GM eer again. Clubs are going to look at that goalie situation and second guess hiring him. Not quite Milbury bad, but bad.

I have to go now. I need to pat myself on the back as Mispelled . . . Keep up the great detective work.

So, let me see . . . You disagree?

I though it was a bery well thought out post. Ad I did say every word. But I don't know if he'll get hired as a GM again, so . . . Pow! You got me! Great sleuthing.

I would rephrase the never again statement by sayin it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get pocke up as a GM eer again. Clubs are going to look at that goalie situation and second guess hiring him. Not quite Milbury bad, but bad.

I have to go now. I need to pat myself on the back as Mispelled . . . Keep up the great detective work.

Always willing to illuminate the obvious .. I pretty much always agree with you on most things, but when emotions cloud the thought process, most anything is possible .. rash statements should be challenged .. it is a part of the process of having an opinion, while having perspective AND a sense of humor.

I was in a poker game on-line when I threw the betting challenge out at ya .. you should hear me when I am listening to Seinfeld .. B)

Sorry .. I never bet with Canadian Tire money .. they charge a re-stocking fee .. did you know that?

I'd even be willing to take your Canadian tire money if that's all you got. On a serious note I appreciate your honesty a lot of people would take a bet they know they would probably not win because they have no intention of paying out.

Gillis was a cancer. I've never been so happy someone was fired. Too bad it came a year too late. Otherwise we would still have AV as coach (who was never the problem), and we would still have the opportunity to have handled our goaltending situation properly (ie. Still have Luongo and Schneider to deal with in the hopes of getting more back in return)... That being said, that's not what happened and here we are...

On a related note I'm so stoked to have Trevor Linden signed on as our new President! If anybody can turn this team back around into something we can all be proud of it's Linden! The future is bright!

Go Canucks Go! :towel:

Gillis was a cancer. I've never been so happy someone was fired. Too bad it came a year too late. Otherwise we would still have AV as coach (who was never the problem), and we would still have the opportunity to have handled our goaltending situation properly (ie. Still have Luongo and Schneider to deal with in the hopes of getting more back in return)... That being said, that's not what happened and here we are...

On a related note I'm so stoked to have Trevor Linden signed on as our new President! If anybody can turn this team back around into something we can all be proud of it's Linden! The future is bright!

He was a big problem in Kassian's development.

Couldn't have happened, cap was dropping and we couldn't afford to have 10 million wrapped up in two starting goalies.

Couldn't have happened, cap was dropping and we couldn't afford to have 10 million wrapped up in two starting goalies.

"...and we would still have the opportunity to have handled our goaltending situation properly (ie. Still have Luongo and Schneider to deal with in the hopes of getting more back in return)..."

You missed my whole quote there. I'm not saying we would have kept them both. I'm saying we could have gotten more in return from another GM whom may not have mismanaged the riches in net so badly.

You missed my whole quote there. I'm not saying we would have kept them both. I'm saying we could have gotten more in return from another GM whom may not have mismanaged the riches in net so badly.

There is no evidence that we could have gotten a substantially better return for either of them. I actually think we got a good/fair return for both, all things considered.

There is no evidence that we could have gotten a substantially better return for either of them. I actually think we got a good/fair return for both, all things considered.

You like evidence so much then show us what evidence there is that we couldn't have gotten a better return. There were GMs that came out saying they would have offerd more wasn't there? Can't you drop your MG homer love he's gone.

You like evidence so much then show us what evidence there is that we couldn't have gotten a better return. There were GMs that came out saying they would have offerd more wasn't there? Can't you drop your MG homer love he's gone.

You don't have any evidence to back up your ridiculous claims yet you require someone else to have evidence to disprove those ridiculous claims.

Seems legit.

Archived