The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

I think Trevor's enthusiasm for the city will only help in attracting UFA's. He'll make a better pitch as he truly wants to be here himself, and isn't just in a position where this was the team that happened to offer him a job.

I completely agree.

How about Messier as GM?

:bigblush:

Maybe we could bring Messier in and make him President and GM so he can strip another title from Trev. I would seriously lose my mind if Messier was ever a part of the Canucks ever again. There are few people I hate more in the world than messier, let alone in the game of hockey.

laughable, henrik was just on 1040 and said we don't need a retool/rebuild , were close, we will be fighting for playoffs next season

LOL

They don't need a rebuild, retool yea but that'll be done within the organization by bringing up young prospects.

We were close if you have a long enough memory. December? Everyone was healthy, best team in the league at the time...ring a bell? Oh yea, we were close and Hank is right. Freak injuries just killed us though.

This is a great post, thanks for sharing. We forget that some haven't been here all along like the rest of us dinosaurs so it's nice to get different perspectives and opinions.

Trevor is a confident yet humble man - that's a nice mix. He has never put himself on a pedestal...a good example of that was when he was playing all busted up but didn't utter a word or use it as an excuse. I remember Ronning (I think) saying he could hear Trev in the training room pre game, screaming in pain as he was playing with broken ribs but didn't reveal that (not even to teammates I believe). Most would use that as an excuse. Make it about their suffering, but he never did go there. He isn't full of himself...even how he addressed the "tears in his eyes" comment when he quickly brushed it off as a broken nose from Richter's stick. Many would be inclined to veer off in stories of how they put it all out there, etc., but Trev doesn't really stay in that place of "himself".

I've always known him to be very well spoken, articulate but most importantly, sincere. Someone you can trust. Someone of integrity and character.

These are all traits that should really help him develop and solidify, even further, relationships that can help this organization.

I was somewhat guarded and skeptical about this but am now stoked. Experience was a concern but he's got the right tools in place and the vantage point of having been player as well as a league leader.

Trevor was the one who really escalated my love for this game/team. My ex at the time boasted to me about this new player we were getting...he was so excited about him. Over the years, I had the great honour of meeting him several times (once I actually got snuck into a small scale presser and got to sit right across from him..was in awe).

I felt all my apprehension about this announcement disappear as soon as he started to outline his ideas and goals this morning. I'm totally on board with this.

Welcome (back) (again) Trev.

Best person for the job. He just cemented that with that presser. Great write up agree 100% with what you said.

They don't need a rebuild, retool yea but that'll be done within the organization by bringing up young prospects.

We were close if you have a long enough memory. December? Everyone was healthy, best team in the league at the time...ring a bell? Oh yea, we were close and Hank is right. Freak injuries just killed us though.

Injuries, some (1st year?) coaching mistakes, cap crunch with the CBA/cap decrease hurting depth and our close prospects not being quite close enough (again hurting depth). Those are the major reasons this year has sucked.

Yeah, I usually ignore your petty potshots too. Who cares.

That's nice. Can you please start to demonstrate that you're ignoring me completely?

hahah can i have some ????

I believe I made it clear that it was my chicken.

Trevor has an excellent resume, being successful in the business world locally, as well as having negotiating experience with the NHLPA and proven leadership ability from his playing time here.

I'm not sure if a lot of people are forgetting this fact or just ignoring it.

I guess option C would be that they don't understand what it means.

Well, I do believe that this is a PR move by the ownership, but if you ask me, it's a damn good one.

In response to the fact that you need time to develop a strategy going into the draft, Lawrence Gilman has been retained by the organization. This is a smart move has he has the keys to the bus. He is the resident "capologist." He has the most knowledge of where players are at development wise in the organization. As well it's not like Aquilini fired all of the Canucks scouts. There is a wealth of knowledge at Trevor Linden's disposal.

I'm fairly certain that Gilman will be there at the draft table working with Trevor Linden, if not as the GM, then in his same capacity as the Assistant GM.

As for the timing of the firing/hiring. It all has to do with timing, and money. Of course Gillis was fired as a scapegoat, and from a business stand point, this happens all the time. No one should be surprised. I for one believe that Gillis did a great job in bringing together the complementary pieces needed to win a cup during the first few years he was tenured.

The Canucks need to save face, thats the brunt of it. Speaking of faces, making Trevor Linden the new poster boy, makes your face look great.

If I were TL and was communicating with Torts about remaining as HC, the first thing out of my mouth would be "you best be living in Canada if you want to coach a Canadian team"

It is a taxation thing for him. If he lived in Vancouver, as an American, he is dinged with Canadian, BC taxes and US federal income taxes. By maintaining his home in Point Roberts and commuting every day he only pays Washington State and US federal taxes. And at his salary point, doing this is saving him a couple hundred thousand a year.

Well, I do believe that this is a PR move by the ownership, but if you ask me, it's a damn good one.

In response to the fact that you need time to develop a strategy going into the draft, Lawrence Gilman has been retained by the organization. This is a smart move has he has the keys to the bus. He is the resident "capologist." He has the most knowledge of where players are at development wise in the organization. As well it's not like Aquilini fired all of the Canucks scouts. There is a wealth of knowledge at Trevor Linden's disposal.

I'm fairly certain that Gilman will be there at the draft table working with Trevor Linden, if not as the GM, then in his same capacity as the Assistant GM.

As for the timing of the firing/hiring. It all has to do with timing, and money. Of course Gillis was fired as a scapegoat, and from a business stand point, this happens all the time. No one should be surprised. I for one believe that Gillis did a great job in bringing together the complementary pieces needed to win a cup during the first few years he was tenured.

The Canucks need to save face, thats the brunt of it. Speaking of faces, making Trevor Linden the new poster boy, makes your face look great.

You pretty much nailed it with this post, well said. Hope all fans can read this post before deciding how they feel about this move.

That's nice. Can you please start to demonstrate that you're ignoring me completely?

Yes. Perhaps there will be a time when I manage to do that after you finish your bucket of chicken, or come up with something meaningful to post other than unwitty retorts from the sidelines.

Willie Mitchell@Willie_Mitch33 9m

Congratulations to my old teammate and friend @trevor_linden It's his time, he's ready. @VanCanucks #solidhire #hesgoingtomisshisskitouring

Mitchell is an upcoming UFA.

Bring him back home?

Archived