The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

He'd still be able to be interviewed, with permission, at anytime after the regular season ends without compromising his current team.

There may actually be a clause in his Release of Contract from Boston that would stipulate he was not able to be involved in the upcoming draft. That has happened in the past and I could imagine that here. What is an advantage to that situation is that Boston and Vancouver are drafting on opposite ends of the rounds.

Still need to get permission from Boston to even talk to him though... they may not be willing until their season is over.

Clueless?!? Are you certain?

Sure, clarify this… Why would the timing affect the job that Linden has to do in this role today versus one week from now?

Sorry, I leaked the answer to your 'test' beforehand. ;)

But I'd forgotten there could be a clause about him not participating in the draft, I remember hearing of something similar in the past. Even if the pick are far apart, perhaps they're close enough at the end of one round ant the start of the next to have an impact. There could be some issues there, particularly in later rounds, where we might steal someone they were looking to pick further along.

Still need to get permission from Boston to even talk to him though... they may not be willing until their season is over.

I doubt they decline. That would mean that their assistant GM would have no chance of becoming a GM here and they wouldn't do that to him (the assistant).

I doubt they decline. That would mean that their assistant GM would have no chance of becoming a GM here and they wouldn't do that to him (the assistant).

They wouldn't decline outright but they may tell us we have to wait until they're eliminated/win the cup. Which would be their prerogative.

There is usually a clause in the contract, if not at least an implicit understanding, that if you get the opportunity for career advancement that the organization will not hold you back. It's very rare when that happens and it's usually a product of it being midseason or to hide the fact that the person doesn't want the job without giving the overt impression of disinterest.

Remember, there are only 30 jobs in the league and word would spread long and wide if a team was holding its employees back. That type of action is never forgotten and is more a black mark on the GM than anything.

For this same reason that there are only 30 GM positions out there and any perceived turmoil by the fans or media around a team does little to quench a person's interest in the opportunity. Pass up on being a GM more than once and there is every likelihood that you never get another chance.

They wouldn't decline outright but they may tell us we have to wait until they're eliminated/win the cup. Which would be their prerogative.

Yes but by the time they're eliminated (which shouldn't be until atleast the Eastern Conference final) the Canucks would have already selected a new GM, to give that GM time to prepare for the draft. If Chiarelli holds back this assistant, it would be a negative impact on the whole organization.

There is usually a clause in the contract, if not at least an implicit understanding, that if you get the opportunity for career advancement that the organization will not hold you back. It's very rare when that happens and it's usually a product of it being midseason or to hide the fact that the person doesn't want the job without giving the overt impression of disinterest.

Remember, there are only 30 jobs in the league and word would spread long and wide if a team was holding its employees back. That type of action is never forgotten and is more a black mark on the GM than anything.

Fore this same reason that there are only 30 GM positions out there, any perceived turmoil but the fans or media around a team does little to quench a person's interest in the opportunity. Pass up on being a GM more than once and there is every likelihood that you never get another chance.

Again, I'm not saying that they'd outright say "no". Fully aware of the clause you mention. I'm just saying that they'd need to get permission to speak to him and that neither the team or perhaps even Benning would even want the distraction until his current team's season is over.

Yes but by the time they're eliminated (which shouldn't be until atleast the Eastern Conference final) the Canucks would have already selected a new GM, to give that GM time to prepare for the draft. If Chiarelli holds back this assistant, it would be a negative impact on the whole organization.

Boston will still be playing in mid-June?

Boston will likely be playing until the last week and a half of May, possibly longer. Why would the Canucks wait all that time?

Pretty sure Linden gave mid-June as the "deadline" for GM hiring for a reason...

Didn't know he said that. Link?

Was in the press conference this morning.

Found it:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/09/to-fire-torts-or-not-to-fire-torts-that-is-now-the-question-for-linden/

Linden said he’d like to hire a new general manager, to replace the fired Mike Gillis, by mid-June at the latest, and preferably the beginning of that month. The draft is at the end of the June.

Meh, just let Gilman make the pick this year if we can get a guy like Benning (or a reasonable facsimile that would have the same restrictions). The important drafts are in the next two years.

Besides, a guy like that is probably going to be overhauling our scouts if he comes in before next season starts to realistically the regime will only be changing for real AFTER the draft.

President does not make on ice hockey decisions as explained on 1040 just a pr guy, gm is the one that makes them

As per the news conference, Linden will have the final say in every decision made, including the GM & coach. Linden will also have the final say in what the GM does (in my mind, this is a bit ridiculous, he might as well be the GM too)

I hope Naslund is brought in for GM duties as he has some experience and it would be great for the organization to have them both running the team .

Bure for assistant GM?

If you're going to name a team mascot president, the only guy more qualified than Fin is Trevor Linden.

Way to write off an intelligent man with a ton of hockey knowledge. Not to mention more passion for the game than you could ever imagine.

Offensive twit of the year award, right here folks!

Benning sounds like a strong favorite from the forums. What's the reason to him though? I don't know much about him

Jim Benning.

• Played for the Canucks from 1986 to 1990 (with Linden for a couple of those years FWIW)
  • Head of Scouting for Buffalo 1998 to 2004
  • Hired as Assitant GM of the Bruins in 2006

Benning will have some ties with the league power brokers from his years in Buffalo but more so Boston, has experience and has an EXCELLENT eye for drafting.

He's also from BC and played not only for the Canucks but with Trevor.

I don't know how anyone could be a better fit honestly.

Found this on a Sabres forum yesterday while looking up info:

http://sabrenoise.com/2014/01/07/jim-benning-right-guy-sabres-gm-job/

Pretty sure Linden gave mid-June as the "deadline" for GM hiring for a reason...

I think that's maybe to get the fans to let off on the immediate expectations and give him breathing room to get acclimated.

That way no pressure to make a Feaster type mistake. I suspect he'll try to get it done as possible but will wait if he has too.

Archived