The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Yeah he seemed to be really high on Horvat. Which is good.

I got the impression that we would be looking at more of a guy like Virtanen. Has lots of skill but isn't afraid to mix it up when need be. Also he's pretty fast.

We're never going to stop arguing about who we should pick. Even after we pick a guy there are going to be tons of people mad as hell cause the guy they wanted didn't get picked. It's going to be annoying.

Yeah, JV would be my first pick over NR but I wonder how much JV's shoulder injury sets him back (as far as his career and draft positioning go). If the team is still really high on JV, I'd say pick him.

To be fair to guys like Jim and Trevor, they grew up playing in an age when Boston and Vancouver had a pretty good relationship with each other. I thought it was pretty classy of Neely to let Jim come to us as soon as the season ended as well, probably feels a little guilt over how we got fleeced with Pederson lol.

I think it's more out of respect for Benning by the rest of the Bruins. Also, Linden supposedly reached out to Neely soon after being hired so you'd expect there to be a mutual respect there as well. Regardless, it was nice of them to let him join us as soon as they did. We could use someone of his talents at the draft.

Emphasis on getting bigger was mostly related to the third and fourth lines. Ehlers could still be a possibility.

True. When the likes of Schroeder and Dalpe skate in your bottom-6... Yeah, we need to get bigger.

Sorry for the triple-post by the way. I'm on the Canucks mobile app right now.

I have to say watching the press conference today, I am very happy with this guy, he knows his hockey and has been around. I really like the style he wants the Canucks to play, get bigger, more grit and play 4 lines of hockey, plus a fast paced up tempo game. He reminds me of Brian Burke 2.0, and if he stands up to his words this will bring back exciting hockey in this city.

A nice and refreshing thing to was it's not just about goon 4th line grinding it out. It's about offensive starts with a 3rd and 4th line that can support and take pressure off the 1st and 2nd line. So means spread out the scoring power and take some pressure off Sedins and kes. More depth. Not a psychic so won't bother guessing who but definitely sounds like some summer trades are coming. And horvat will be given a fair chance at joining the canucks next year

I can't say that Mr. Benning is the most well-spoken guy and he looked fairly nervous up there. Other than that though I'm really excited to have him on board and his expertise. Linden can be the media guy and Benning can act behind the scenes.

Yeah, JV would be my first pick over NR but I wonder how much JV's shoulder injury sets him back (as far as his career and draft positioning go). If the team is still really high on JV, I'd say pick him.

What's with putting the initials only? Trying to save bandwidth like paper?

For those saying we'll pick Virtanen or Ritchie because Benning feels we need to get bigger, you guys are taking his comment way out of context. He believes skillful lines should have space made for them by crash and bang 3rd and 4th lines which keep their opponents in their own end. That says nothing about how big the 1st and 2nd liners need to be, and if anything, implies that he prefers more "pure skill" guys in the top 6. The guy has drafted Pominville, Vanek and Ennis, so it's not like he needs his scoring forwards to be overly physical.

He's going to pick the players at any given pick that he thinks is going to become the best asset for his hockey team. I don't think it needs to be any more complicated or complex than that. Size, playing style, ability, grittiness, personality...all are factors, of course. But one determinant factor? Doubtful.

For those saying we'll pick Virtanen or Ritchie because Benning feels we need to get bigger, you guys are taking his comment way out of context. He believes skillful lines should have space made for them by crash and bang 3rd and 4th lines which keep their opponents in their own end. That says nothing about how big the 1st and 2nd liners need to be, and if anything, implies that he prefers more "pure skill" guys in the top 6. The guy has drafted Pominville, Vanek and Ennis, so it's not like he needs his scoring forwards to be overly physical.

Yea he said that along with the entire team needs to get bigger and more physical.

In conjecture with why we're doing this he mentioned every California team specifically citing their size.

Enjoy Ritchie

Then he led into how the team needs to be able to play against the SoCal teams effectively and that the team needs to be able to play a skill game when need be as well as a rugged game when need be.

ie. We need to be more like Boston and Chicago, which can play both finesse and rough 'n tumble. Or even like the 2011 Canucks, before Manny went down.

There is no great secret here. You need solid NHLers to compete. Not 'pure skill' at the expense of everything else, per se.

You can't? You can't have an opinion?

1. I'm sure 80 point 1st liners are a good fit on any team.

2. Fair, he had growing up to do, so did Kane, so did Richards & Carter. Among others. Not enough of an issue to solely move a young kid like that on IMO.

3. Disagree, he was getting better as a whole. He was poised to take another step forward IMO. (And he did)

4. They didn't have to trade anyone, they could have kept all of them and Seguin.

The deal was fine, they just didn't trade him at the right time IMO, should have waited a bit longer, could have got more, but they still got a pretty good return so it is what it is. Both sides ended up with positives from the deal.

Seguin was not an 80 point 1st liner with boston. They were not going demote any of their guys for him

Then he led into how the team needs to be able to play against the SoCal teams effectively and that the team needs to be able to play a skill game when need be as well as a rugged game when need be.

ie. We need to be more like Boston and Chicago, which can play both finesse and rough 'n tumble. Or even like the 2011 Canucks, before Manny went down.

There is no great secret here. You need solid NHLers to compete. Not 'pure skill' at the expense of everything else, per se.

Shinkaruk is an excellent player if surrounded by Kassian, Horvat, Matthias, the Sedins...

Big, strong, skilled, old and young. Everything really.

You are right on

He basically said speed and skill on top 6 and rugged, not only fighting, being able to play in offensive zone bottom 6

Now people who want Ritchie and Virtanen are taking that bottom 6 statement into the entire team being like that. As it usually goes people try to only listen to things they want to hear.

Doesn't sound like anything is going to be changing with the scouting staff after what Benning said and calling them "all great people" Ron Delrome needs to be fired, already. He should have been years ago.

Agreed. Delorme has more iives than a cat in goalie gear. Despite year after year, coach after coach, GM after GM, and even owner after owner...with one of the worst records of the NHL teams, he still sits there in his office pointing out players with his golden finger. Talk about stale. And its not so much his influence for first or second rounders, almost anyone could pick out the cream in those rounds. Its the crucial later rounds, in this salary cap era, where he has failed spectacularly to find gems ahead of other teams.

Yes, the tired argument that a lot of other teams also passed on this player or that player. Fact is some team eventually DID pick them. Their scouts had researched properly and had better info than the Canucks.

What's even more pathetic is overlooking players like Gallagher and Lucic who played right under our nose. Benning mentioned that Scott Bradley, who scouted Lucic for Boston, lived in Vancouver and so had the advantage to watch him and recognize what he could bring to the Bruins. What was Delorme's excuse?

edit: I just wanted to add on a positive note that I'm happy that Benning sounds iike he's going to have a big hand in overseeing the scouting department and it bodes well that he comes from a scouting background.

Archived