The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Kevin Hayes

DrChill

^^ sounds like all ready a head ache no thanks

He isn't though. Has a great attitude and is a team player. Just that he wants to play and Chicago doesn't give him a chance anytime soon. It's not about the money too as all teams can max offer him $900K max salary + additional bonuses. No doubt Chicago offered that but he declined simply because he's paid his dues in college and is ready to play and he'll get the same contract with whatever team he goes to. More so the Hawks fault for not seeing this beforehand and preparing for it and giving him a chance to play sooner.

He isn't though. Has a great attitude and is a team player. Just that he wants to play and Chicago doesn't give him a chance anytime soon. It's not about the money too as all teams can max offer him $900K max salary + additional bonuses. No doubt Chicago offered that but he declined simply because he's paid his dues in college and is ready to play and he'll get the same contract with whatever team he goes to. More so the Hawks fault for not seeing this beforehand and preparing for it and giving him a chance to play sooner.

Chicago isn't going to give anything to anyone. Everyone has to earn a spot on the Blackhawks and Hayes wasn't even our top prospect.

We don't know when Chicago tried to sign Hayes, but if Hayes wanted to finish college (which is his right) there is nothing Chicago could do. We had the exact same situation with another prospect, Johns, who decided to stay with the Blackhawks.

Chicago isn't going to give anything to anyone. Everyone has to earn a spot on the Blackhawks and Hayes wasn't even our top prospect.

We don't know when Chicago tried to sign Hayes, but if Hayes wanted to finish college (which is his right) there is nothing Chicago could do. We had the exact same situation with another prospect, Johns, who decided to stay with the Blackhawks.

Yea, your right. No one is at fault here. Chicago has built one of the best organizations in the league (if not the best) because they've set standards and everyone has to earn their spot. Even with Hayes being a top end prospect, they won't let him cheat cause it'd be bad for their system and other prospects would question/doubt their standards and etc. Kevin wants to play and Hawks are saying you have to earn it; unfortunate and both sides just weren't able to agree.

Also, been following the Hayes talk all summer and Chitown tried signing him right after they got out of the playoffs. Rumours/reports started circulating a months ago that the 2 sides were off and already stated he would sign elsewhere and he will now. Was pretty obvious since then but yea, no one is at fault here. Just 2 parties that couldn't come to terms for their own respective reasons.

Disagree with the bolded. He will play majority of his ELC in the NHL . Why? Because he wants to play now. He's paid his dues on college playing 4 years there and now 22, he's pretty much done his part. Sure it'd be cool to get him a season under the AHL too but that's stretching it considering he played out 4 years in Boston and patiently developed his game which has prepared him for the now.

If he wanted to play in the AHL, he would've stayed in Chicago and signed there. Problem is, Hawks are too deep in the NHL and prospects and it'd take at least 2 years for Kevin to crack the lineup there as a regular. Thus why he is leaving to get icetime elsewhere and I highly highly doubt he plays more than half the year in the minors.

Calgary can reunite him with Gaudreau in the NHL which would be scary cause that line dominated in college. Florida can reunite him with his brother. Boston his hometown can use him with the departure of Iggy and slot him in right away to be effective and cap friendly with them kind of cash strapped. And Rags are just an outside shot with Kreider there knowing him.

I don't think it matters what he actually wants, he'll have to earn it. He's simply looking for a better opportunity where the competition is less onerous.

But based on all reports I've seen, he's a long way from contributing in the NHL in any meaningful way.

He's not an elite prospect.

Also, been following the Hayes talk all summer and Chitown tried signing him right after they got out of the playoffs. Rumours/reports started circulating a months ago that the 2 sides were off and already stated he would sign elsewhere and he will now. Was pretty obvious since then but yea, no one is at fault here. Just 2 parties that couldn't come to terms for their own respective reasons.

I don't think it was some much that the two sides "were off", as there really isn't much negotiating room in ECL contracts.

It was more about hayes wanting to go to a place where he's have a much better chance of beating out inferior competition to win an NHL job right away.

I don't think it was some much that the two sides "were off", as there really isn't much negotiating room in ECL contracts.

It was more about hayes wanting to go to a place where he's have a much better chance of beating out inferior competition to win an NHL job right away.

Obviously I don't know for sure but I think you're right, Hayes wants to join an organization where he can make the NHL sooner. While that is certainly his right to do so I don't personally agree with it. I guess Hayes doesn't have faith in his abilities or view himself better than Chicago's other prospects. Maybe not this year, but at least by next season there will be spots for rookies on team. Chicago will be in a cap crunch and need cheap cheap contracts.

Also, success at the college level doesn't mean success at the NHL level or even AHL level. Chicago signed former Hobey Baker winner Drew Leblanc a couple years ago and he's been absolutely terrible for the Rockford IceHogs. I doubt he ever makes the NHL.

Kevin is officially an unrestricted free agent.

Due to this, Hawks receive a 2nd round pick (54th overall) in the 2015 draft as compensation.

Wouldn't the 2nd round pick belong to the team that ends up signing him? sounds very unfair for the other 28 teams not involved in the deal if the Hawks were just granted an extra pick by the NHL.

Wouldn't the 2nd round pick belong to the team that ends up signing him? sounds very unfair for the other 28 teams not involved in the deal if the Hawks were just granted an extra pick by the NHL.

ope the second round will have 31 picks. The blackhawks might even pick up a better player than Hayes considering it's suppose to be a REALLY DEEP draft

Ouch, a first rounder walking away from his club, that'll hurt any team.

His biggest year was this past one with 65 points in 40 games. I watched him and BC play the other day, he seemed to benefit from playing with Gaudreau. We'll see where he lands, he'll no doubt have 29 other teams going after him.

if there is any team that won't get hurt its the Hawks.

on RW they already have: Kane, Hossa, Smith, and Versteeg... Hayes would not have cracked the lineup anytime soon..

I'd rather have the pick than Kevin.

So you'd rather have someone like Rodin or Mallet than Hayes?

Second round picks seem valuable until they're used. The odds of the player taken with that pick being an impact player are low.

Hayes is developing very well and is definitely a player I'd like to have in our system.

Imagine our forward depth with Hayes:

Right wing:

Kassian

Vey

Virtanen

Hayes

Left Wing:

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Gaunce (will likely have to shift over)

Center:

Horvat

McCann

Cassels

So you'd rather have someone like Rodin or Mallet than Hayes?

Second round picks seem valuable until they're used. The odds of the player taken with that pick being an impact player are low.

Hayes is developing very well and is definitely a player I'd like to have in our system.

Imagine our forward depth with Hayes:

Right wing:

Kassian

Vey

Virtanen

Hayes

Left Wing:

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Gaunce (will likely have to shift over)

Center:

Horvat

McCann

Cassels

If that's the way you'd order your depth chart, you have 0 chance of signing Hayes plain and simple.

Archived